Photo

Shoeing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

I just haven't seen this before, and am wondering what the purpose of the bar across the middle of this horse's shoe is? To add more weight and stay in the dimensions? Thanks in advance!
[attachment=80328:148351_461192109470_8359479470_5747806_2200100_n.jpg]

ETA: Wow, it looks like this horse's foot is close to hitting the rider's!

#2 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

We seen those when we were doing the measuring at the stewarding clinic at Canadian Nationals... its totally legal as long as it fits the width restrictions (most of them had to be adjusted as they were too thick at the welds, but otherwise were good) and its just to add MORE weight since the restrictions are on width of the shoe and length of the toe not on weight any longer.

There were also some that were on an angle across the shoe, just another variation.

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#3 Bey Sara

Bey Sara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Look at the contraction of the horses knee. Looks like problems in the future for him.

#4 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Hoofhaven! I've never seen it before. I wonder if the added weight placed in different spots has different effects, and what those effects specifically are...

#5 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

its just to add MORE weight since the restrictions are on width of the shoe and length of the toe not on weight any longer.

No weight restrictions?? eeek!
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#6 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

No, they decided to abolish the weight restriction and go with a SIZE restriction instead because of the hassle of weighing shoes, and having to remove them and put them back on and the time it consumed and the delays and of course its hard on the feet having shoes on and off like that. The measurements do help out...the foot can only be SO long and the shoes have to fit within the confines of the measuring gauge to pass and be legal. There is nothing in the rules saying you CANT have these extra pieces on the shoe, but they may change that in the future. It hasn't been necessary as this is a "new" thing. During the steward shadowing I did, the veteran stewards at Canadian Nationals were waiting to see if there would be any presented for the pre-measuring. Most of the barns want to make sure they are within the legal limits, so time is allotted for the shoes to be measured by the stewards before the show. A few shoes like this had to be adjusted as where the welds were on the cross bar they were too thick.

I wondered myself what kind of effect they have on the actual function of the foot... doesn't seem like it would assist in the mechanical function of the horse in any way...mind you adding all that weight and length doesn't either, so that's not really the point.

In any case it was interesting to see!!

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#7 Ignorance

Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

poor horse, has so much strain in that one leg. Imagine how it feels wit each step, I wouldnt think that would be confortable with the horse

#8 starlitefarms

starlitefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

its amazing how much the shoeing regs have changed in the last 4 yrs!

Home of :

Kharizma SFA ( Da Valentino x Kha-sarra) 01 Bay gelding

Kha-sarra ( Khadraj NA x Basarra VV) 97 bay mare

Miss Fire SFA ( Hopes Afire x Chopinna Regina) 04 bay HA mare 

#9 Jrchloe

Jrchloe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

From my understanding but I could be wrong they changed the rules because it was really difficult to have a shoe that fit correctly that was at or under the weight limit.

Yes placement of weight in a shoe or the angle of the hoof has an effect on how the horse moves its legs. Horse's legs move toward weight. In the picture it looks like the horse is going toward his elbow and from what it looks like they have tried to add an extra toe weight to try to open the leg during flight. One would be worried that the horse hits its elbow. It might be a win on their part that its not hitting it so its not fair to judge from just a picture of the bottom of the shoe.

#10 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

From my understanding but I could be wrong they changed the rules because it was really difficult to have a shoe that fit correctly that was at or under the weight limit.

Yes placement of weight in a shoe or the angle of the hoof has an effect on how the horse moves its legs. Horse's legs move toward weight. In the picture it looks like the horse is going toward his elbow and from what it looks like they have tried to add an extra toe weight to try to open the leg during flight. One would be worried that the horse hits its elbow. It might be a win on their part that its not hitting it so its not fair to judge from just a picture of the bottom of the shoe.

Thanks you for the futher explanation. Looking at this pic again, I still cannot imagine that his foot isn't hitting the rider's foot?!