Photo

Dressage sporthorse/prospect wanted in PNW

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 MelanieC

MelanieC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

I am broken-hearted to do this because I thought I had found the perfect horse, but as it turns out I'm still looking.

I am a petite adult amateur (5'1", 105 lbs, 37 yo) looking for my first horse. I am an intermediate rider with several years of dressage training and hunter/jumper before that. I am currently half-leasing a horse but otherwise have always been a lesson rider. The horse I buy will be my only horse, and I hope to keep him/her for the rest of his/her natural life, so a horse with good movement, a fun work ethic and the potential to move up the levels in dressage would be nice but that said I am not gunning to win at Grand Prix. I would like to compete in local open dressage shows and in some Arab sporthorse classes but am not a "serious show home." I plan to do some cross-training and would like a horse who would be comfortable going on trail rides at least occasionally; I even have some interest in (very low level) eventing. No soundness issues or vices please.

Stellar temperament is a must -- I am not a beginner but I also don't want to have to be THAT alert all the time, and it would be great if non-horsey husband or future children could hop on this horse occasionally too. Personality plus is also a must -- outgoing, curious, friendly, interactive, eager to work with you -- I am a dog person (have three Border Collies) and am also looking for a giant pet. I plan to do a lot of clicker training and fun ground stuff outside of riding (toys, playing fetch, free lunging, whatever). If the horse has some groundwork issues (like not wanting his ears messed with, etc.) that does not bother me because I feel comfortable with dealing with those types of things as long as the horse actually likes people.

I would probably be a bad match for a greenie and want something that has enough miles to be rideable by me immediately and not have to go into full-time professional training upon purchase. I have a trainer and will be taking regular dressage lessons, so I will have supervision. The horse's training does not have to be in dressage, and if you have something that is already trained in say, hunter pleasure but really isn't that into it and would enjoy a discipline change that is fine, keeping in mind that I am looking for dressage movement and re-trainability. Pretty is great but I don't care if the horse would never place at a show for looks (no weird conformation issues though please). My budget is not large. I am looking for a horse who is mature but not old (isn't everyone?). I am very committed to my animals and can provide excellent references.

To boil it down, my preferences are:

• gelding preferred, but won't turn down the right mare (no "marish" tendencies, etc.)
  • 14.2-15.3 hands
  • 5-10 years of age but am a bit flexible for the right horse
  • dressage movement and temperament (i.e., doesn't hate flat work)
  • going well under saddle
  • stellar temperament and exceptional personality please
  • target price range ~$5000 (because I want to stay married)
  • located in or near the Pacific Northwest

The horse must be located within driving distance of Eugene, OR. I cannot consider horses that I can't meet beforehand and don't have the budget to travel far to look at horses.

I am new here but post under the same username at the COTH forums. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks very much, Melanie
--
MelanieC * Canis soloensis

#2 Macimage

Macimage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hi Melanie,

I am glad to see that you found your way here! I am sure the ABN members will have some good horses for you to check out.

Happy Trails~
Joyce
PB Arab 1984 Gelding "Mac" My First Foal (Pictured in my Avatar)
PB Arab 2008 Colt MD Jakk Jamaal
QH/Arab? Rescue 1983 Skip (Pictured in my Avatar w Mac)
APHA 2003 Huck

#3 trail2win

trail2win

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

You might want to give Doug Stewart in Junction City a call. I know they have quite a few horses for sale right now and defintely know a couple that may fit your needs. I think you can look up their website at Stewart Performance Horses

#4 Mortazavi Farms

Mortazavi Farms

Advanced Member

• VIP Hosting Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

We have a wonderful 2003 mare. Approx 15 hands, super sweet. Loves trail. Could do lower level dressage with some more ring work. Sibblings are competing at high levels in multiple arenas including SH, Dressage and Western Pleasure. In your price range. We're about 8 hours drive from you.

aspen4.jpg
aspen4.jpg

Stacy Mortazavi

Posted Image

Herd Dispersal Sale, offering several quality horses available for breeding, show and family/trail stock and prospects.

#5 Integrity Arabians

Integrity Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

I've got a mare she was in 7 months of training for western pleasure, but has better movement for what you are looking for. Steps out nice. Integrity Arabians. her name is CM Miss Van Ryan. She stands about 15.1h. Is 5yo is pretty cool under saddle.

Michelle
Om El Faria 1996 Bay Arabian Mare
(Sanadik El Shaklan X Bint Bint Faaris) - FOR SALE or LEASE

Goodale Entertainment - Video Editing, Motion Graphics, & Photography

#6 Periwinkle

Periwinkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:08 AM

I have a Polish Arab gelding listed on Endurance.net for sale. He is an excellent dressage prospect with a wonderful disposition. See his ad Item #9552 on Endurance.net. Eder is younger than you prefer, but he is a wonderful guy that is very loving and has loads of potential. Good luck with your search.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Periwinkle Farm
<b>Euniq</b> (Posejdon x Eureka PASB) Bay Mare 1996
<b>Eunike</b> (Andzrejevo x Euniq) Bay Filly 2009
<b>Eukara</b> (*Europejczyk x *Eukadra) Bay Mare 1998 Foaled a colt 5/31/2011 by SS Hypnotic
<b>Eder</b> (Andrzejevo x Euniq) Bay Gelding 2007 <b>For Sale</b>
<b>Alexis MSC</b> (DWD Tabasco x *Alpaga) Bay Mare 1995

#7 valleyhorsecenter

valleyhorsecenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:44 AM

HI there,
I have a clients horse here I have been training under saddle for the last 6 months.. he is really great on the trail and likes the arena, also! Has numberous SHIH wins at the Class A level and has great movement for dressage. He is currently priced at $4500 but a good home is also very important! Owned by the breeder, who still owns both parents. I am in N. Ca., also.
Jodi
(707)688-1741
he's on my website at www.valleyhorsecenter.com
http://www.valleyhorsecenter.com

Breeding, training and presenting the "complete Arabian!"

Posted Image

#8 Arabian Place

Arabian Place

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

I am sorry to read that your perfect horse did not work out.
If you do not find the new horse of your dreams in your neighborhood... Perhaps, a trip south may be in order. Stacy, Michelle, Jodi and I are all in the same general area. We can show you a group of really great horses. Here are a few of mine that come closest to your requirements. They are all well within your price range. You can follow the link in the signature line for others available.
Shannon

Monzallia DF (Monozzon+// by Monogramm x FX Zahltationn by Falconn)

#552992 f. 5/13/1997 15hh
"Sweet Pea" is an incredible athlete with extreme, commanding presence and style! She is always "on". Yet easy to handle and well behaved. She has been shown, hunter under saddle, at a couple of local shows by an experienced youth.
Her Sire Monozzon+// was Top Five 3rd Level Dressage at Nationals before the sport horse split a few years ago, 3rd Level Stakes Winner at Scottsdale under Hilda Gurney, and multiple Champion Sport Horse Stallion in hand / class A, and Region II. And a Scottsdale Top Ten 3 year old colt. He was also a Great Hunter, did Costume, a little western, and loved to jump!!! An amazing athlete!
See her pedigree here:
http://www.allbreedp...></span></span>

Sweetpea103.jpg  

APL So Pretty (G Rama Noir x SH Trill (DWD Tabasco & *Bask))
Very fancy, powerful mover!
f. 5/25/1998 15:1hh
Pretty is very fun to ride! She has several months of pro-training. "Pretty" is an ears forward, ground covering athlete! She bonds strongly with her human and loves to work.

Pretty is sired by the gorgeous BLACK, Straight Egyptian Stallion G Rama Noir. G Rama Noir is sired by Dal Noir and out of a wonderful black dtr. of Moniet El Sharaf. Pretty's dam is Grandaughter to DWD Tabasco & *Bask! This is a steller Egyptian/Polish cross pedigree!!!

See her full pedigree here:
Pretty july2010088500x50.jpg SoooPretty-vi.jpg

My Miecho (SH Phantom Echo by Echo Magnifficoo x SH Trill (DWD Tabasco & *Bask))

#549877 f. 4/29/1996 Sweepstakes Nominated. 14:2hh
MY MIECHO is a beautiful, correct, typey mare with huge soulful eyes. She is a very caring and kind, Solid minded mare. Would make a great youth horse with her amazing, quiet nature. I am tempted to keep her for my riding horse. She would be a very enjoyable show or trail partner. "Miecho's" Sire is a Scottsdale & U.S. National Champion! Her grandsire is the great Echo Magnifficoo, who is also grandsire to Odyssey SC and Aria Impresario! Her Dam is Grandaughter to DWD Tabasco & *Bask!
See her pedigree here:

MiMiecho508.jpg

Click here for more ->>>

VA Aur Bey (Bey Shah x Aur Belle by Aurab) ~~Sweepstakes Nominated~~
Velvet Legacy (MHR Rebellion by *Elimar x Sheer Brillance by MS Santana) Pure Polish
Velvet Carnival (Bandos Las Ladd by *Bandos x Fantaci by *Enoss) Pure Polish - FOR SALE
Thee Orisis (Thee Desperado x Najiba El Nefous (AK Najib Pasha by AK Shah Moniet x TheEgyptianPrince Dtr.) Straight Egyptian
Posted Image

#9 MelanieC

MelanieC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for your recommendations.

Some of the horses listed here seem quite a bit greener than I am looking for. If price is a consideration and I am not going to be able to find a horse with miles for ~$5000 I can stretch my budget northward a bit but would definitely have to remain under $10,000 and hopefully well under $10,000 (again, because I want to stay married). I do also prefer geldings and really really want to stay under 10 years of age if possible, unless the horse is so incredible that it makes me not care about age or sex.

I will have this horse for a very long time and it will be my only horse, so if it has already been evaluated for dressage and thought to be suitable for only lower levels then I am not really interested. I realize there are no guarantees and if we never make it to upper levels I will live, but I would like to at least be able to entertain the possibility.

Personality is going to matter a LOT because the horse I was going to buy is incredible in that respect (he is basically a dog in a horse body) and I am afraid most other horses aren't going to measure up. I realize that may be neither rational nor fair but I really did fall in love with that horse.

Video under saddle (walk/trot/canter) would be welcome.

I am not in a hurry and would rather find the right horse than any horse.

I used to live in San Francisco and know the way to Northern CA by car, but given my schedule and other constraints it may be some time before I can get down there and the horses would have to be VERY suitable. I would be pleased to discuss any candidates by email or phone and to answer any questions that you have about me as well.

Thanks very much, Melanie
--
MelanieC * Canis soloensis

#10 horsendane

horsendane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I know of an awesome mare for sale, she isn't in your area but priced extremely reasonable at $3500.
is her youtube link.

Pictures of her can be seen here. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=558242988#!/album.php?aid=29143&id=112856465394178&ref=mf

You wouldn't be sorry with this one, her temperament is incredible. I know for a fact she used to do some upper level movements. She isn't mine anymore but my trainer worked her some with them. She is everything you are looking for.