Photo

Late age growth?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 Katy

Katy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

OK guys, I get the feed the foal and mare thing, thank you for the insight.

Please notice what I said about feeding the mare, she gets 24-7 access to a 1200 pound of timothy/bermuda mix, no fescue. On top of that, she gets 22 pounds of alfalfa per day (split into 2 feedings) AND 10 pounds of beet pulp per day (again split in half and fed 2 x daily)....I bought 5 bags of equine junior, as my friend that would give her nutrients that she'll need for her late growth spurt and the foal she's carrying, and 1 bag of 3 way (without the molasses) and bought a 5 gallon jug of corn oil. I will start her on those slowly to ensure not over stressing her system...but I am feeding so much, I wonder if there's something wrong... I am NOT keeping food from her at all, and she eats every scrap and smidge of beet pulp I give her and promptly heads to the 1200 # bale to start munching on that....

I will work on giving her the Equine Junior and the corn oil and think I will pick up a bag of Calf Manna too tonight after work.

Thanks everyone!

"Sometimes to see things more clearly and precisely, you need to see it in black and white" T.K. Thompson, Archival Black and White Nature Photographer

#22 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Has she been on a regular worm sched?
Maybe have vet check her manure?

I've had horses top out their height at 8-9 years.
Laura

#23 Katy

Katy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

She's been wormed, and to my knowledge has always been wormed since birth, but she's been tube wormed since we got her, AND she's had both the insides and outsides of her teeth floated, though the vet said she didn't really need it, he did it anyways just in case there was something there he didn't see.

This photo, assuming it comes through of course, was taken this morning after 5 weeks of free choice feeding and lots of extras.
"Sometimes to see things more clearly and precisely, you need to see it in black and white" T.K. Thompson, Archival Black and White Nature Photographer

#24 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,820 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

seriously, if you are worried about founder and stuff just use grain that is 10% protein and add one of the supplements that is very high in fat
it is usually the protein that causes issues for our horses and she really just needs basic "food"
you have gotten one of those growing youngsters who just need more calories than you are used to feeding

#25 Katy

Katy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

This next photo, was taken the morning after we got her and she'd had grass hay in front of her since the hauler picked her up 36 hours prior to this. Sorry about these photos, the quality is very poor as these were taken with my cell phone.

#26 ArabHrsLvr

ArabHrsLvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'd say that the change from the first pic to the recent pic seems fair for the amount of time she's been eating well. 5 weeks is not much time and you CAN see a positive difference. Weight goes on much slower than it comes off...especially when preggers.

I say keep the food in front of her because it's working. It's not gonna happen overnight.

Michaela

#27 Azure Arabians

Azure Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:35 AM

Looking at the pictures she looks like she has gained weight, do you think she has? and her coat is nice and shiny too:) remember she is was so thin that she actually needs to rebuild muscle and that take alot of energy and time. sorry for all the questions dont mean to offend. See if the junior feed already has a good fat content in it you might not need to ad more fat:) have you done a fecal count on her? only other thing I can think of
I would also take the alfalfa you are feeding and maybe break it into three feedings sometimes that helps too. when you start the grain do three little feedings a day if you can: ) just trying to throw some ideas out there

Azure Arabians Home of HW Satin Prince

Regional Top 5 Halter

Sire of :
National TT SHN Jackpot filly Satin Daisy

Regional top 5 SHIH mare ,
Scottsdale Top 5 SHIH gelding

www.montanaequineconnections.com

#28 Katy

Katy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

I appreciate all the ideas and help...

After posting these, I did notice a difference in her weight gain...I just see her each day and it breaks my heart to how skinny she is..and she is shiny and prettier than she was when she got here, but it's so upsetting to have her this thin..I freak out if I can see any ribs on my horses...I don't want them fat enough to founder, but I don't want to worry about their being cold or things..so I worry when I can feel the ribs easily and I honestly do panic when I can see a slight hint of ribs...always means more food, but I was so worried with what I'm feeding her (easily feeding her in 24 hours what I do 3 others all day long just for maintenance, though none of them are skinny by any means) that something was wrong and all of a sudden that stifle and limping thing....

Thank you for your help.

#29 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,820 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

think of this as a temprary thing
once you get enough weight back on her, you will likely cut back to a maintenance amount to maintain her
then in the last few months and after foaling she will probably need a ton of groceries again to support her and the foal
then you wean and get to cut back again
LOL - when she is at the weight of the spotted horse in your avatar you have made if

#30 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hey girl, I see progress in the pictures. Looks like your on track, Takes time to re-build sad but true. Keep up the good work!
I do agree though I would deff have fecal check.....just to be certain.
Laura