Photo
- - - - -

Which digital camcorder??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

I am in the market for a new digital camcorder...I am looking for something that makes CLEAR videos for online use. I would welcome any input on models...features...even software that is used for making clear web videos.

Thought I would start here and see what information I can glean...

Thanks in advance!

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#2 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:15 AM

A couple of months ago we got a JVC Everio GZ-HM200 and LOVE IT!
Most of the video on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/nis75p06) was taken with this camera.

It will shoot in HD, though I don't do this for online video. Very simple to use. Has a great zoom. I also have a telephoto lens for it, but have never used it, even when shooting video on the cross country course from far away.

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#3 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

Most of the video on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/nis75p06) was taken with this camera.

It will shoot in HD, though I don't do this for online video. Very simple to use. Has a great zoom. I also have a telephoto lens for it, but have never used it, even when shooting video on the cross country course from far away.

That's a pretty clear video...especially for YouTube. What program did you use for your movie-making?

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#4 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

The youtube videos are real clear... however the first one I watched was jerky, I don't know if that's the camera person's ' prob. or not. I am sure the camera has a "stablizer" on it... the all do.

I NEED a new camera as well... Will watch this thread carefully and get much needed imput info.

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#5 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

That's a pretty clear video...especially for YouTube. What program did you use for your movie-making?

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

I use iMovie, but I don't do anything to the raw footage other than add titles and music.

The youtube videos are real clear... however the first one I watched was jerky, I don't know if that's the camera person's ' prob. or not. I am sure the camera has a "stablizer" on it... the all do.

I NEED a new camera as well... Will watch this thread carefully and get much needed imput info.

I don't know which you watched. The latest (cross country video) is all the fault of the camera operator (me). I get so busy watching the horse, I mess up the video! For dressage and most of the stadium jumping, I use a tripod, which keeps my stumbling around to a minimum.

Posted Image

#6 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I am hoping for more input from those of you who shoot your own videos...any recommendations will be appreciated including programs for the actual movie making process.

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#7 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

I use iMovie, a very basic package (for a Mac) and I use the built in templates for much of the stuff. I'm not that artistic.
I cut out "bad" stuff or boring stuff, add some titles, transitions and my logo image at the end.
I generally always cut out the sound recorded with the video as I tend to make comments about my horses performance that don't need to be made in public <g> and add in music to make it "prettier".
The templates are really very easy to use, and while the software package is limited in some ways, it's more than fancy enough to do a good horse video.

The camcorder can upload directly to youtube without needing to go through any movie program, but I never do that, since I want the titles and stuff added, and string together smaller clips into a longer single video.

The camera uses SDHD cards. I like the cards, as I can plug them directly into my computer without needing to remember where the cable is. This camera can do TWO cards and will automatically switch to the 2nd when the first is full. I use two 8GB cards, since that is what I use in my still camera too. It also does stills at 10mp, which is pretty good, not as good as my nice Nikon D60 camera, but pretty darn good for a camcorder.

I bought the camera through Amazon, and it's last years model, but very good. Cost significantly less than the newest model.

I have gotten lots of "stuff" for it: polarization filter, UV filter, florescent light filter, telephoto lens, wide angle lens, tripod, extra battery, battery charger that works off the cig lighter in the truck.

Posted Image

#8 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

I gave my miniDV camcorder away two years ago and now exclusively use the video function on my Canon SX1 IS zoom camera. It has a CMOS sensor so it does full HD video. Canon has vastly improved it's zoom mechanism and it is so silent that you can zoom while videoing (not possible with many still/video cameras). It records to SD and I too use iMovie. The first several pages of my flickr are with this camera. Linda's flickr

Found some videos done with this camera on youtube Canon SX1 video

Older pix and the 2 videos a few pages in were done with a Canon A3100 IS I gave to my trainer when I got my new camera. It does great video too, but not even near the quality of the new one.
older video

I also have an iPhone 4, but haven't had it long enough to test out the video capabilities or use the iPhone iMovie app. The iPhone stills are fantabulous! And I think you can upload directly to YouTube via iMovie app.

Wait another week before making your purchase. Apple is having a big announcement on Sept 1. Rumors are very strong for a new iPod Touch (not iTouch PLEEZE) with front and back camera and capabilities analogous to the iPhone 4.
Linda and Shane (retired july 2006)
Tukes Shenanigans+ [Yahya Matuk x OK Aquarius by El Raffon]

Loved by All ..... Owned by ME

2006 & 2005 Region 13: Reserve Champion Sport Horse Under Saddle
2005 Region 14: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2004 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2002 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Geldings In-Hand
2000 Region 13: Top Five Hunter Pleasure Open
1997 Region 13 & 18: Reserve Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1996 Region 18: Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1994 Region 13: Champion 2 Year Old Gelding Sweepstakes
1994 Ohio Buckeye: Reserve Champion Junior Gelding Halter
1992 born at 2 am St. Patrick's Day

#9 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

I will be watching this as well to see what cameras are recommended.

As far as software for those unfortunate non mac users like myself, Stay far far away from Windows Movie Maker. I made the horrid mistake to use that as it 1. looked easy and 2. came with the computer for my daughters NCAA equestrian video. the file size was so large I couldn't get it to export into a format I could send out without crashing a compuer. I ended up having a kid who worked at a local tv access channel fix it for me, but I struggled with that stupid thing for weeks trying everything I could buy or download. The guy told me it was a major problem with the windows mm software.

#10 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

I gave my miniDV camcorder away two years ago and now exclusively use the video function on my Canon SX1 IS zoom camera. It has a CMOS sensor so it does full HD video. Canon has vastly improved it's zoom mechanism and it is so silent that you can zoom while videoing (not possible with many still/video cameras). It records to SD and I too use iMovie. The first several pages of my flickr are with this camera. Linda's flickr

Older pix and the 2 videos a few pages in were done with a Canon A3100 IS I gave to my trainer when I got my new camera. It does great video too, but not even near the quality of the new one.
older video

I also have an iPhone 4, but haven't had it long enough to test out the video capabilities or use the iPhone iMovie app. The iPhone stills are fantabulous! And I think you can upload directly to YouTube via iMovie app.

Wait another week before making your purchase. Apple is having a big announcement on Sept 1. Rumors are very strong for a new iPod Touch (not iTouch PLEEZE) with front and back camera and capabilities analogous to the iPhone 4.

Your photos are beautiful! I may be stupid...lol...but I could not find the videos to view. Can you tell me where to find them?

Thanks!

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!