Photo

Long tail that drags the ground by a foot.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#11 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

I personally love the long tails when they are flowing and thick!! I think its so pretty, but to each their own. I wondered as well how to address the back up thing, I seen a few step on their tails at the Royal Red but none of them freaked out.

Several of my horses have tails up year round, but in the summer I put twine in for them to swat flies with so they can still use them, and they are not always in the barn like "pampered whatevers" ...

Here is a picture of my mom's four year old filly... she's been in a stall maybe three times in her life, she is turned out 24-7 in a pasture. I took this a few days ago

Posted Image

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#12 chalice

chalice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

A long, lush tail that drags the ground is pretty to me, but I too have the concern about what happens when he backs up and maybe steps on it?

I know of a trainer who keeps the horses' tails all done up in bags. They're long, of course, but I wonder does the long tail truly influence a judge's opinion in a show class?

#13 Zoe

Zoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

I've seen Arabs win in any class with practically no tail and I've seen Arabs win with a tail that hangs down horizontally the same as it does vertically. I don't think it REALLY matters unless the judge is that superficial? But then again, it's the "new" Arabian. -.-

--------------------------------------------------------------

"  Evil triumphs only when good men do nothing . . .  "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 dbdg

dbdg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

at a horse "show" u r selling an image. the tail adds to the image. is it a reason to pick one horse over another? no like a well fitted suit a pretty tail sets of a pretty picture!

Dianna B.

Its an equipment problem.... there's a nut loose in the saddle

#15 KCRanch

KCRanch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

Before I cut Dragon's tail, it was so long I could take it and wrap it around his chest to the other side. I think the key is to practice with the tail down. Back slowly so the horse gets a feel of where his tail is. I used to do a lot of backing between groundpoles.

#16 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

I didn't mean a full side step in the line up. I just meant scoot the haunch over a step: just enough to get the hinds away from the tail. We did go to a show and they had them back on the rail and he did fine!
Our horse is also out all day every day and all nite on occassion depending on bugs/weather. His tail is up but he has a long tail bag on it to swish with and he wears a bug sheet and fly mask. We do not believe in stalling all day either.

#17 Acorn-Arabians

Acorn-Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:14 AM

I tried sooooo hard to get a nice tail on my CEP horse. Wash it - braid - bag - Then no matter what - I would go out the next day and find he had hooked it on something (never could figure out on what) and pulled a chunk out of his tail bone. So - I came to the conclusion that a long skinny tail was not going to be attractive. I let it down and worked on regrowing what he had lost - I would rather have a short full tail than a long skinny one. Now I personally don't like the really long tails that drag the ground - but I do like thick tails that are long - almost to the ground when they have their tails up. It took my horse almost losing his tail to figure out what was more important to me -

#18 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

I put tails up in October (take down completely in March)... I want a thick, longish tail (would love it just to touch the ground at a halt).

My usual policy is : clean as a whistle, drench in Eqyss Mega Tek Cell Rebuilder, braid from tail bone down, bundle and wrap in vetwrap, add baling twice if still need to swat flies.

Is there a better way?

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#19 Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

Century Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

I dont like the long skinny tails that drag the ground, but love love a long FULL tail that is thick. If it touches the ground at a stand still or even drags the ground at a stand still that is fine, but once they lift their tail for movement I don't want to see it on the ground. Typically people will let one section of the tail grow very long and the rest stays short.. not a pretty picture.
Guardian to:
Zandai Jasoor (Zandai Ibn Omar x Glorieta Saqlima) and Impress Rissala (Imtaarif x Zandai Om Roda)

Mental Meanderings Of A Barn Goddess

#20 Vintage

Vintage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

I dont like the long skinny tails that drag the ground, but love love a long FULL tail that is thick. If it touches the ground at a stand still or even drags the ground at a stand still that is fine, but once they lift their tail for movement I don't want to see it on the ground. Typically people will let one section of the tail grow very long and the rest stays short.. not a pretty picture.

I've seen that style of tail. I was a bit confused about it. Seemed counter-productive to have a long tail that was hacked short at the hock and then have three strands on the ground. Looks silly to me. I Love thick long tails too, so once the tail is up and moving it appears like a proper flag. But that's just a noob talking. lol

Equine partner:

EA Legacy of Bardonna (Hiba)- '02 PB Bay gelding