Photo

Long tail that drags the ground by a foot.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 gsarrow

gsarrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

One of my show horse's tail is dragging the ground about a foot or so.. what is proper to do in a class when asked to back your horse?
ahh excuse me judge could you please hold my horse tail? lol
i am looking for some advise on the proper way to address this.. besides cutting his tail or risking it getting ripped out..
thanks
Supporter of Preventing Cerebellar Abiotrophy Affected Foals
<a href="http://www.cerebella...biotrophy.org/" target="_blank">Link to Cerebellar Abiotrophy Site</a>

#2 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Teach the horse to flick it to the side on command or do the smart thing and cut it just above the ground. I hate tails that drag on the ground. Have seen more than one horse either step on it backing up or another horse passing step on one - has got to be painfull.

#3 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

We have the same problem: so I'm curious to hear the answers. I wonder if you "pulled" him up to the line and then had him do a step to the side if the tail would be a bit to the side. We've only been to one fun show since we've gotten our horse with the long tail and we didn't have to back. But I guess thats what I'm gonna try.

#4 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

My friend had a gelding with a huge tail. When backing in the lineup, he stepped on it and scared the crap out of himself--he almost sat down. From that time on, that smart horse always swished his tail before backing! ;)

#5 Aelfleah Farm

Aelfleah Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

Teach the horse to flick it to the side on command or do the smart thing and cut it just above the ground. I hate tails that drag on the ground. Have seen more than one horse either step on it backing up or another horse passing step on one - has got to be painfull.

I'm with you. Cut the darn things.
I think it is so completely ridiculous, and is another symptom of the silly grooming standards of our show rings - right along with 10" bridle paths, shaved eyes and greased faces - that horses have tails dragging out on the ground to be stepped on my other horses or themselves when backing. I like nice tails, but I bang every tail at the bottom of the fetlock so my horses can function properly. Every pleasure class should ask for backing...

Tamara Woodcock, Scurry, Texas
BLUE STAR Arabians and Arabian-influenced Sportponies
Combined Training, Combined Driving, Dressage, Endurance, and Show Jumping

Posted Image

#6 MyTwoPonies

MyTwoPonies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

A lot of people back up crooked on purpose or just a few very tiny steps. I used that with my hunter gelding who had a very heavy tail.

#7 Bey Sara

Bey Sara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Personally I don't like the long tails. The horse looks like a saddlebred. I much prefer seeing the tail just touch the ground. My horses use their tails for swishing flies. They wear them loose in the summer and they're not kept in like pampered whatevers.

#8 gsarrow

gsarrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

We have the same problem: so I'm curious to hear the answers. I wonder if you "pulled" him up to the line and then had him do a step to the side if the tail would be a bit to the side. We've only been to one fun show since we've gotten our horse with the long tail and we didn't have to back. But I guess thats what I'm gonna try.

The sidepass is a great idea. I will try that, also.
Worth a try for sure!!!
Supporter of Preventing Cerebellar Abiotrophy Affected Foals
<a href="http://www.cerebella...biotrophy.org/" target="_blank">Link to Cerebellar Abiotrophy Site</a>

#9 twsarabians

twsarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

Many people reach back and pick the tail up. Our WP gelding who had a long tail despised you picking it up and learn to pick it up himself. Although at one show we did lose 18" and was retired not too long after (not because of the tail).

Cindy Bingham
TrestleWood Stable Arabians
The three most precious possessions are a mare, followed by her daughter in foal with a filly. ~ Old Arab Saying

#10 Mel Adjusted

Mel Adjusted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

If you practice at home a few times with your tail down , he should learn to swish it out of the way himself. The problems usually comes when the horse encounters it for the first time at the show because it's been up all the time and he panics. I would think that you would be penalized for a crooked back or sidepass.