Photo

Stallions with a strong hip??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
200 replies to this topic

#91 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

If you like Shahwan GASB, you should really check out Is Orlow!

Is Orlow

His sire Pamour is also approved Oldenburg & Trak and scored a 116.39 and was 5th at the stallion testing. Is Orlow is approved Oldenburg & the very elite Hanoverian. Orlow was the winner of the Dressage portion and had a total score of 125.31, placing 3rd overall - The highest scoring Arabian to ever go through the stallion testing in Germany. Twice he scored a "10" for character & temperament and a "9" for ridability. Mostly Polish breeding. This is a very nice horse!

OrlowJW02.jpg
is_orlow_01.jpg

is_orlow_04.jpg

is_orlow_05.jpg

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#92 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

I am still on the lookout for the ideal stallion for my mare and the # 1 thing I find that is lacking in a lot of modern North American bred Arabs ( and no this isn't meant to flame any breeders!) is the lack of hip. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any stallions that you think have a really strong hip/hind quarters and also that are not Bask bred! Thanks!

Nicole

There are lots of horses with long hips around. What you need to also look at is the coupling, gaskin muscle development in the hind quarter and gaskins, and hocks. Many of the modern horses are really lacking in muscling. The "motor" is really a package deal. The hip is only one part of the equation. What is lacking more than hips are good hocks and the ability to use them and get under themselves. My guy does not have the longest hip around, but his hocks are outstanding and he passes them to every foal. Never focus on one trait, but rather look at the balance of traits that a horse has and his ability to reproduce his best traits and let the best of the mare come through.

Sue

#93 DCA

DCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:17 AM

Love Shahwan and his son, Orlow. Super nice horses!

Sue makes some excellent points too. One should always look at the entire horse, but I think most people do. LOL, if most people only focused on the hip, I don't think we'd have the heads and necks we do in the breed. Ha ha ha!
Life is Good---Horses make it even Better!

#94 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

Love Shahwan and his son, Orlow. Super nice horses!

Sue makes some excellent points too. One should always look at the entire horse, but I think most people do. LOL, if most people only focused on the hip, I don't think we'd have the heads and necks we do in the breed. Ha ha ha!

Orlow is the son of Pamour. Not sure if he is related to Shahwan. Here's Orlow's pedigree

Is Orlow Pedigree

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#95 DCA

DCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Wow! Not sure why I thought you said "son" of Shahwan! Jeez...that is the second reading error I've made this morning! I think I need to go back to bed! :bigemo_harabe_net-08:
Life is Good---Horses make it even Better!

#96 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Shahwan's owner has frozen straws, not sure if they are still available but were a month or so ago. He had quoted me 5k for something like 3.
Signature being edited, too large.

#97 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

Wow! Not sure why I thought you said "son" of Shahwan! Jeez...that is the second reading error I've made this morning! I think I need to go back to bed! :bigemo_harabe_net-08:

Another pot of coffee and you'll be just fine Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#98 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

Shahwan is a blend of Egyptian, Polish and Crabbet breeding. There may be some other elements in his pedigree. http://www.allbreedp...om/shahwan gasb

I personally would be reluctant to use his frozen as it was frozen a while ago and I understand that some of the older methods used may not leave you with a viable product. If you could get product from Orlov, that might me more viable and it should be less than $5,000 for 3 straws I would think. Orlov is pure Polish with a Comet sire line. I would personally use him if I were looking to breed and had the budget. He is a superior looking Sport Horse stallion.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#99 Fereyna1982

Fereyna1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Another pot of coffee and you'll be just fine Posted Image

Off-topic alert! Useless trivia!

Today is the anniversary of Balzac's death. The man drank...wait for it...20-40 cups of Turkish coffee per DAY. He died at 51. It's surmised that all of that coffee drinking contributed to his death, maybe the outright cause.

I'm surprised it didn't kill him long before that. Heck, I'm terribly jittery and can throw myself into an arrythmia on two cups of coffee per day.

"Drugs? I don't do DRUGS!" could have been his motto.

Is Orlow is a heck of a horse. I'm going to go hide my eyes, or just go look at my checking account again.

*heaves sigh*

#100 fernvalleyfarm

fernvalleyfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

I have a stallion Named Elgomej he is a pure polish stallion By Algomej out of a Fortel Daughter he as good hips here are some pictures of him in his pasture. He has no bask. He has the sire to bask but no bask himself he has old bloodlines

Outstanding Pure Polish, and Polish bred Arabians.

In All colors as well as Sabino!

www.fernvalleyfarm.net