Photo
- - - - -

DANIEL C GAINEY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:25 AM

Daniel C Gainey

By Arlene Magid

Daniel C Gainey was born in 1897. In 1922 he became an employee of Josten’s and later became its CEO and Chief Operating Officer. The colt Kaniht, presented to him in 1939 by fellow employees, got him involved in the Arabian breed. That journey spanned the years till his death in 1979 and included a long term of office as President of the Arabian Horse Registry of America as well as owning breeding farms in Minnesota, California and Arizona.

The first Gainey foundation mare was the Crabbet mare Rageyma, acquired in 1943 in foal to *Raffles. The resulting filly, Gajala, became the top champion producing daughter of *Raffles. Another early Gainey acquisition was Bride Rose, also of all Crabbet breeding. Her daughter Gali-Rose (by Rageyma’s son Galimar) became, along with Gajala, one of the cornerstone broodmares of the Gainey herd. Kama had just one foal for Gainey, the Ferzon daughter Galatina, but she founded a dynasty of her own as Rageyma and Gajala had before her which includes U.S. National Champion Mare Gaishea, Canadian National Champion Stallion Gai Monarch, and National Champion sire Dreamazon+++.. Gainey also owned the *Raseyn daughters Balena and Ralouma, both found in the female sire of the pedigree of U.S. National Champion Stallion Eternety (whose third dam is of all Gainey breeding). In 1953 Gainey acquired the yearling colt Ferzon, who became the fountainhead of his breeding program. His price of $10,000 was a record in its day but proved to be a bargain in light of his contributions to the breed.

In 1963 Gainey began using the *Raffles son Azraff (owned by Comar Arabians of Iowa) on his Ferzon daughters, and also bred Azraff daughters to Ferzon, resulting in the Gainey type Arabian. Horses of the Ferzon/Azraff cross include U.S. National Champion Stallions Galizon, Gai Parada+++/ and *Marwan Al Shaqab, U.S. National Champion Mare Gaishea, U.S. National Champion English Pleasure Gai Argosy. The Ferzon/Azraff cross has such diverse representatives among the 2007 U.S. National Champions as the Sweepstakes Colt Aria Impresario (now 2009 U.S. National Champion Junior Stallion, who has 5 lines to Ferzon and 2 to Azraff), and National Champion Open Cutting HF Zinson Delray (who has 5 lines to Ferzon and 3 to Azraff). Dr Marsafi of Egypt described it best:: “I have now seen many of the great stables of Arabians in America. Here I have found American, Egyptian and Polish Arabians. Now I have found a fourth class: Gainey Arabians. They are as different from the other three as the other three are from each other.” Gainey Arabians have excelled in all disciplines in which Arabians compete, and Mr Gainey’s vision of the ideal Arabian made him one of history’s great breeders.

"Perfection must be the inevitable beacon light in any undertaking which hopes to achieve worthwhile results.� Personal ownership, prejudice, even that great quality, loyalty, must not be the guiding hand in a breeding program.

Perfection is what we are after"

---Daniel C. Gainey

Photo of Dan Gainey with Ferzon and second photo of Ferzon with his multi-National Champion son Gai Parada+++, the only stallion to be a U.S. National Champion Stallion with a National Championship in performance won PRIOR to his National Championship in halter!

Attached Images

• DanFerzon.jpg
  • FerzonParada.jpg

<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#2 Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for posting this! My Trillo is such a dead ringer for his sire.
Natalie Angstadt
NN Elite Arabians

NNPsymin Azferdron
Offered at Stud
2008 Region 9 SHIH Stallions Grand Champion
2008 Region 9 SHIH Stallions ATH Reserve Champion
2009 Region 9 SHIH Stallions Top 5 - Open and ATH
Kings Trillomar: April 18, 1982 - October 4, 2011
1989 Region 2 Western Pleasure AOTR Top 5
NNChantilly Lace
2009 Region 9 SHIH Mares Grand Champion
2009 Region 9 SHIH Mares ATH Reserve Champion
Gai Trillo+++/ : March 25, 1973 - July 3, 2011
1977 US National Pleasure Driving Champion
1977 Region 7 Arabian Stallion Breeding Top 5
1978 Region 5 English Pleasure Champion and Arabian Stallion Breeding Champion
Texas

#3 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

Very nice Arlene. Thanks for such a lovely tribute to the namesake of my "Dantastik".
Signature being edited, too large.

#4 Copper Leaf

Copper Leaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Great article :)... Black resembles his great-grandsire, Galizon quite a bit... It's a shame Galizon was lost at such a young age ( I believe he died at age 7... correct me if I'm wrong), I would have liked to see what kind of a mark he would have left on the breed had he lived longer :(

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye Heavenly Host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

#5 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

Great article :)... Black resembles his great-grandsire, Galizon quite a bit... It's a shame Galizon was lost at such a young age ( I believe he died at age 7... correct me if I'm wrong), I would have liked to see what kind of a mark he would have left on the breed had he lived longer :(

Galizon died at age 7, you are absolutely right. He sired Dixie Gem who was a U.S. Top Ten Sidesaddle and Native Costume winner in 1982 and also U.S. National Champion Mare Jon San Judizon. He did leave 102 get, and many of his daughters were good producers. Interesting that he died in December 1971 but his last foals were born in September 1971, so he must not have settled any mares in the 1971 breeding season, as one would have expected him to have 1972 foals if he died in December 1971.
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#6 Envestment

Envestment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

I just read this wonderful article and it really explains the beauty and versatility of the Gainey Arabians.

Bonnie
Bonnie Jameson
CROSSWIND ARABIANS
Webbers Falls, OK
CrosswindArabs@aol.com
Our home is protected by God and a gun"

#7 mgilnh2o

mgilnh2o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

Galizon died at age 7, you are absolutely right. He sired Dixie Gem who was a U.S. Top Ten Sidesaddle and Native Costume winner in 1982 and also U.S. National Champion Mare Jon San Judizon. He did leave 102 get, and many of his daughters were good producers. Interesting that he died in December 1971 but his last foals were born in September 1971, so he must not have settled any mares in the 1971 breeding season, as one would have expected him to have 1972 foals if he died in December 1971.

I love the Gainey horses! My gelding, born in 1991, is by Gai Gallizon, who is the result of Gai Parada on Jon San Judizon.

Megan

I am owned by: Shadazon Moonlite (Gai Gallizon x Andegor Shadula)
and Champagn Isabella (Heartz Dezire x Champagn Rose)