Photo

Update on the CEP prospect

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#21 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

so the two videos are sort of in reverse? the riding one is the newer?
good for you that you are taking the time to let her learn at her speed. my park mare was really really freaky when we got her - you could barely keep her in the cross ties to get a saddle on her. my trainer has done such a fabulous job but it has taken time and patience to undo the early work. you can get there too.

here is Twiggy doing her class at regionals a week ago.............doesn't she look happy???
(I think it is ok to post this link as I have purchased the real photo from the photographer)
http://www.ferraraph.../10r12_8318.htm

Yes, they are in reverse...I thought twice about posting the rearing video, but then decided to put it up later. The rearing video is from about a year ago, the riding video is from the other day. :) We have tried sooo hard and have been soooo patient with this mare, accepting her for what she is and respecting her at the same time while expecting the same in return. You can hear me laughing at her in the rearing video because I think that her protests are just so silly, and boy was she persistent!

I think that your mare is SO FREAKIN COOL, and must be a blast to ride! She looks sooo happy and I do remember you saying about how firey she was--it takes a lot to handle those, and not everyone is willing to do it. But isn't it fun???!!!

#22 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

besides training we discovered something that has really seemed to help her (thanks to the people at Springwater Farms) - - GastroGard. hugely expensive but worth it's weight in gold (plus I just found a place to buy it for less)

here's a snipet from regionals..............

#23 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

Siiamese, What does the gastroguard do? Is it supposed to prevent ulcers? We use Uguard by Cortaflex for our pony and steadily she is starting to clean up her grain again. It is CHEAP and was named in the Horse Journal or one of those places as a best buy. (We have not treated the existing ulcers since they are constantly healing and reforming but chose to use the Uguard and will stick with it)

#24 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

the Gastrogard treats the probleem - - right away. Instead of giving low dose of the medication, it gives a high dose for a few days to help cure them, then you can go to a maintenance dose of UlcerGard or something. It seems beneficial to those show horses who get wound up and go off their feed, etc. at shows for sure. But the price is HEFTY
Omeprazole is the ingredient that needs to be in the medication - - not sure what is in UGuard but I do not think it is the same thing at all. Omeprazole is known to us humans a Prilosec - and is fairly costly even for humans in the OTC form.

edited to add:
I looked at the two items and they are completely different medications
check the link below for Ugauard and UlcerGard (same as GastroGard except for dosing instructions)
http://www.valleyvet...3E-4C202DAA54AF

#25 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

I just know the Uguard is working! It is very inexpensive: she has started to eat more and more of her grain daily. Just was curious the differences. Thanks for the legwork.

#26 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

here is Twiggy doing her class at regionals a week ago.............doesn't she look happy???
(I think it is ok to post this link as I have purchased the real photo from the photographer)
http://www.ferraraph.../10r12_8318.htm

OOH LA LA...did she win her class? Balanced trot, fore and aft!

Happy ears forward look!
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#27 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:43 AM

thanks for the compliments - - likely will breed her in the next year or so and see if she can pass on that ability
for this year, driving is being added to her list of classes

#28 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

I think you have just touched Arlene's pet peeve...

;)

#29 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

egad - - I will go back & delete it then

#30 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Wow Kristen - terrific! Just hang in there - I bought two horses, a half arab mare and her half brother, a PB stallion. Both of them were scared of their own shadow, basically wild, and would spook, buck, run through a fence - whatever
in the blink of an eye. Long, long, long story short....the HA mare went on to many Regional and National titles (with a youth no less!) and the PB stallion went on to Regional titles and National Top 10 Hunter. I had several people tell me to give up on them but because I'm persistant (aka stubborn), I didn't.

Not an easy job - but the payoff is WAY worth it.

Very best of luck to you - keep us updated.

Kathy
RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."