Photo

Update on the CEP prospect

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

Trials and tribulations...Wow, it has been a long journey with this mare...

[attachment=67879:CIMG0918.JPG]

This is my friend's mare that she acquired as a long two year old. She went to pick her up, having only seen a video, and she was told "a lip chain is all she knows". The mare was small, obese, and unmannerly, but built like a tank and could trot up a storm. The owner of the farm proceeded to lead her to the trailer, rearing all the way, and she flipped over twice in the driveway.

When we got her home, she was dynamic, expressive, and scared to death. My friend did extensive work with her to get her accustomed to all things that any horse should be accustomed to. Her reaction to most anything new was to rear, and if threatened enough flip over. Turn your back and you were target for teeth or a well-aimed kick. Once she got her over the introduction of anything new and human in nature, she was as calm and quiet as your best gelding.

We carefully went to work starting her under saddle. We offered a slow introduction to anything and everything involving her under saddle training. Asking her to bend her neck off to the side in the bridle (from the ground) was a nightmare--it was a split-second reaction on her part--straight up and over, several times in a row. (ETA--we simply held the rein and asked her to give slightly.) We barely had enough time to get out of the way. That made me so wary of getting on her back, but my friend was determined. We got her to accept that and put her to work in the lines. Once again with the rearing, and now bucking. (She has seen the chiro and vet and is fine and sound.) When we got her reasonably broke to the lines my friend was determined to ride the mare. And suprise, she was slow and pokey undersaddle. Ask her to move out and up--buck, buck, buck. (Yes, saddle fits just fine.) She can buck with her heels over your head without even putting her head down. After several months of this, off to the trainer for a month. At the time I was not willing to ride that. I told her several times to get rid of her, she is not an amatuer horse.

The trainer helped a great deal, and she progressed nicely, then regressed, then regressed some more. Amazing she has never come off with the way this mare can buck. My friend was about to give up, but I finally got my mojo back, and now we are working as a team to get her going well undersaddle...and this is what we have come up with! :) No artificial devices EVER--no chains, no bungees, no weights, short foot, light shoe, leather pad. Not perfect, but she has come such a long way! Thanks for letting me share!

#2 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

That is so incredibly insanely awesome!! Wow, what an accomplishment!!
VERY inspired/impressed... very cool stuff!!
Congrats,
Mitch :)

Oh, and how is she bred?
Signed,
Mitch Gissinger*

*(alternate personalities include Moe, Moeskii, and Beasturd)

#3 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thank you Mitch! Her dam is by Hucklebey Berry out of April Charm. I believe someone here on ABN owns her (the dam). Her sire is a Hackney. I have heard from a lot of people that the hackney crosses can be very challenging. This is our only experience with one, and our first ever saddleseat type horse, so I am not sure if that is true or not. Maybe someone can confirm? Either way, my friend is determined to get her in the ring!

#4 deettah

deettah

deettah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

She's beautiful under saddle!!! Love that action! Good job and kudos to both of you!

Hopeless and devoted to Rose, Akeem, Rosita, Graace and Junior

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#5 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Thank you Mitch! Her dam is by Hucklebey Berry out of April Charm. I believe someone here on ABN owns her (the dam). Her sire is a Hackney. I have heard from a lot of people that the hackney crosses can be very challenging. This is our only experience with one, and our first ever saddleseat type horse, so I am not sure if that is true or not. Maybe someone can confirm? Either way, my friend is determined to get her in the ring!

Well, no doubt you guys will be successful with that kind of determination and patience!! It's so nice to see that the mare is gorgeous too! Just accomplishing this would definitely be rewarding, but to have her as a reward makes it better!
Mitch

Signed,
Mitch Gissinger*

#6 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Wow, she has come along way from rearing and a lip chain. Looks like she has loads of natural potential and luckily for her she has the handlers with the patience to bring her along slowly. Good job!

#7 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks guys, she's still a bit of a stinker, but we'll get it! Not 100% yet, but we started off in the hole!

#8 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

That is amazing! She has so much natural talent. Sometimes these most talented mares are the HOTTIES and the diva's, I have noticed this. My 2 best moving mares are hot hot hot and sure full of P and V. They are sweet too but just HOT.

I think they are worth it and worth working through their ultra sensitive reactions to things.

You guys have done an amazing job.
Signature being edited, too large.

#9 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image Way to go! very impressive, she sure has a great deal of natural athletic ability. You two have done a wonderful job,

One day you will look back on this and say "remember when we first started working that mare? she's so good now, hard to believe she was such a handful to start with"
Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#10 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, and they'll say "WHEW, we're so glad we finished training this mare to perfection, bred her to Magic Aulrab, got sick of her, and sent her to Moeskii.... yeah, we're so glad we though of that!"
Posted Image
Mitch :lol:
Signed,
Mitch Gissinger*