Should I Buy?
Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:38 AM
Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:09 AM
I second this. I would definitely wait and NOT depend on family (mom helping out with money).
If I were you I would just wait.. and maybe be happy with the ones you have for now, and save your money for later on. Getting money isn't as easy as selling another horse and selling puppies.. what if you don't get much for your mare (or if you end up not selling her because of how the market is right now) and you end up not selling the puppies? That just seems a lot to me for mixed breed pups.. and I will try not to start about all the ones in animal shelters.. instead of talking your family into getting you whatever you want, maybe hold off and do it yourself over a longer term.. save up the money that you can, be responsible instead of spoiled, just because you want this one and want that one, don't forget about the ones you have already. If you absolutely have to get a mini, try to find one that is a bit more affordable. You may want this mini, but most likely you aren't going to have the money overnight.. be happy with the ones you have, don't regret what you don't have because most likely it's not meant to be if it doesn't happen. I agree with fyreflii, be prepared if something were to happen.. do not depend on your family to pay for everything, if you already have horses that they pay for already, I would just be happy with those instead of always looking at others to buy.
This is awesome advise as well. There are so many horses, including mini's, that are being tossed away. I would save the money, put it away for emergency funds and a payment fund. You can get a nice mini for way less than that amount. And with color if that is what you are looking at.
Speaking as a sort of grown up adult, I'd say no. I know she's adorable and cute and who can resist such cuteness, but $1500 for her is way over the top. I've been wanting a mini too, but I'm not going to pay more for a mini than I can sell a full size horse for, at least not at this stage of the game. If I realllllllllly wanted a mini, I'd:
1. Save up $500 as my purchase money
2. Save up $1000 as an emergency fund that wasn't to be touched unless she got sick
3. Start shopping and looking for people who need sell a mini for reasonable but not commit to anything until I had the necessary money saved up
4. See if you can find a mini farm near you that's willing to mentor you (should be a farm that breeds, buys, sells and shows the kind of minis you want)
5. Go buy your mini when everything is in place
That might take you a year or two, but by the time you find the right mini, you'll have plenty of money for the purchase and care of a small horse and you'll have learned enough about minis to be able to spot a real good deal when you find it.
Labor of Love Arabians
By God's graceHome of :
Tsultans Tsalley (Ivanhoe Tsultan x Missy Araborra)
Velvet Darqness (Tahr x Darg Velvet)
Mai Fantasy (Botswana x Ramses Glory B)