Photo

Confused?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BVA

BVA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hey everyone!
I hear everyone talking about pure strains and Egyptian only mare to some stallions. I am getting a mare. Her name is Padmae-Eternety X Gretta. She is a 2002 mare. So where do I start with figuring her pedigree out?
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/padmae
There is her pedigree!
Thanks!

#2 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hey everyone!
I hear everyone talking about pure strains and Egyptian only mare to some stallions. I am getting a mare. Her name is Padmae-Eternety X Gretta. She is a 2002 mare. So where do I start with figuring her pedigree out?
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/padmae
There is her pedigree!
Thanks!

Padmae is Polish and she is Seqlawyah Jedrani in strain. Her strain is determined by her tail female line (just in case you didn't already know). She is not pure in the strain, there are others (Kuheilan for instance) mixed in. It's been years since I saw her, and only vaguely remember a rather pretty bay mare, don't remember if she has any white.

Pat Lowe

#3 IDL Arabians

IDL Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

She is not pure Polish. Her dam is/was pure Polish, but her sire is 1/2 Egyptian, 1/4 Polish and 1/4 CMK. Clear as mud?

#4 BVA

BVA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

Which rises my question? How do you know who is who? So she's a mix? And yes she has some white.

#5 IDL Arabians

IDL Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Which rises my question? How do you know who is who? So she's a mix? And yes she has some white.

It takes awhile to learn who is who, I have spent a lot of time on datasource just looking up horses pedigrees. It helps that datasource includes the studbook each horse in.

It can get confusing though. Take for example, I have a mare here who is by Gazal al Shaqab. The Poles used him for a few years, producing some exceptional foals including Pianissima. The foals bred there are considered pure Polish. Some would consider my mare pure Polish because her dam is pure Polish, but my mare was bred in the US. If you trace his ancestry, his sire is Straight Egyptian, but he's produced pure Polish foals. A lot of it does depend on which studbook they are entered in.

#6 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

It takes awhile to learn who is who, I have spent a lot of time on datasource just looking up horses pedigrees. It helps that datasource includes the studbook each horse in.

It can get confusing though. Take for example, I have a mare here who is by Gazal al Shaqab. The Poles used him for a few years, producing some exceptional foals including Pianissima. The foals bred there are considered pure Polish. Some would consider my mare pure Polish because her dam is pure Polish, but my mare was bred in the US. If you trace his ancestry, his sire is Straight Egyptian, but he's produced pure Polish foals. A lot of it does depend on which studbook they are entered in.

That's why I said the mare was Polish, but didn't say PURE Polish. The El Shaklan bloodline gets claimed on both sides of the argument. I went with the dam line and tail female, especially since she was asking about strains.

Pat Lowe