206 replies to this topic

#111 ms raven

ms raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Not being able to help? The WB registries only approve Arabians that do help them, that is the point of adding them into their gene pool. They are breeding the very best sport horses and are always looking at how to make an even better one and if an Arabian can do what they need, they like adding them to their registries. What they want from the Arabian is good bone density, strong hooves and a large heart for more endurance. So they are looking for mares that excel under their criteria, if they happen to be pretty, bonus. If they are not only athletic, but pretty we will see more mares being approved. I personally like this trend. These crosses make excellent ammy horses that can compete to the highest levels in the open shows.

Huh? Not sure why you replied to my comment in this manner. Obviously. I know what Arabians can contribute and I know that if a particular mare is accepted it is because they feel she can help. My mare has a helluva lot better walk and hock action than he does and there are probably many arabians that do. Despite that, I interpret that they are saying don't go there (to SH) because he is so weak behind that he needs to be crossed with lines who are proven to have a very powerful engine. Little doubt we would get very pretty horses crossing arabs to SH but it's not worth it if we are wanting to aim high. Yes? No?

#112 ms raven

ms raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Opps.. either I forgot to read the rest of your message or you added to it which would be no problem. lol I see your additional comments about SH now and thx for your reply re: Furstenball.

Sounds like you had an awesome experience attending that meet. Great opportunity!

#113 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I added it, sorry.

I've had the luxury of getting know a few of them over the years. Perks of the job. I do feel honored that they share, but I have the feeling they will share with anyone seriously wanting to talk breeding. It has definitely been good times!

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#114 ShannonC

ShannonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

Hello,

I am looking at couple of stallions for our Arabian mare who is 16H Polish with a Crabbet dam line so I have:

Treliver

Sagar

Yeager GF

Shannon

#115 zai

zai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

You might want to wait to see how the TB Goldmaker does in the 70 Day Test at Silver Creek this fall. He certainly appears to have an amazing jump if that is something you are looking for...be very selective in looking at coloured warmbloods and ensure they have their approvals.

#116 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

You might want to wait to see how the TB Goldmaker does in the 70 Day Test at Silver Creek this fall. He certainly appears to have an amazing jump if that is something you are looking for...be very selective in looking at coloured warmbloods and ensure they have their approvals.

Amen on this.
MaryJo

#117 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Hello,

I am looking at couple of stallions for our Arabian mare who is 16H Polish with a Crabbet dam line so I have:

Treliver

Sagar

Yeager GF

Shannon

Aside from "color" what are your breeding goals? Are you wanting to produce a dressage horse or a jumping horse? Is this foal for you personally? Or do you have plans to sell the resulting foal. I ask these questions because producing a "color" sport horse for sale is very much a "speciality" and has a very small marketing base. There are some out there that love colorful horses, but its been my experience that they are far and few between. A friend of mine had a gorgeous HA buckskin gelding that won a National CH. in dressage a SHN. She needed to sell him (2nd Level working on 3rd & very ammy friendly), it took her over a year and she didn't get nearly what she was asking for him. So, I'm just throwing some questions out there to really think about.

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#118 ShannonC

ShannonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Aside from "color" what are your breeding goals? Are you wanting to produce a dressage horse or a jumping horse? Is this foal for you personally? Or do you have plans to sell the resulting foal. I ask these questions because producing a "color" sport horse for sale is very much a "speciality" and has a very small marketing base. There are some out there that love colorful horses, but its been my experience that they are far and few between. A friend of mine had a gorgeous HA buckskin gelding that won a National CH. in dressage a SHN. She needed to sell him (2nd Level working on 3rd & very ammy friendly), it took her over a year and she didn't get nearly what she was asking for him. So, I'm just throwing some questions out there to really think about.

Hey Tamcam,

I am going for dressage, eventing. Wanting to produced a horse that excelled in both disciplines. The foal is for me personally to do what I just said I am interested in. What I hope to get is a good temperament, high neck set, good rear end, there are so many other factors aside from confrmationa and ability, like temperament and when we are not showing to be a good family horse. The color because I want a color horse...lol

Shannon

#119 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Hey Tamcam,

I am going for dressage, eventing. Wanting to produced a horse that excelled in both disciplines. The foal is for me personally to do what I just said I am interested in. What I hope to get is a good temperament, high neck set, good rear end, there are so many other factors aside from confrmationa and ability, like temperament and when we are not showing to be a good family horse. The color because I want a color horse...lol

Shannon

Then I would go with a stallion already proven to cross well with Arabians. Raleigh's Full Moon has sired many HA dressage champions, including National Champions. All of the ones that I have seen have been awesome! Quiet, willing, big and colorful. They tend to be born broke, very ammy friendly and with 3 good gaits. I think he's a SHN Pay Back sire and I know he is Sweepstakes. Anyways, if you want as close to sure thing as you can get, I think you should take a look at him.

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#120 sixpoundfarm

sixpoundfarm

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

It will be a cold day in ###### before I would breed any of my Arabian mares to a WB stallion.

Breed your WB mares to an Arabian stallion. That's what I should have done with my Dutch mare.

Just my not so humble opinion for which I make no apologies.

Dave

I have a nice, older style Oldenburg mare I am interested in breeding to an arabian stallion. Can anyone make any recommendations of where to start looking?
Stallion must be elastic in his movement, with a good, pushing hindleg. No trailing hocks, please. Prefer strong coupled with an excellent loin connection.
Her pedigree:

http://www.sporthors...om/d?i=10542706

She is pictured in her teens, after having several foals, hence her dropped topline.

Attached Thumbnails

• P4160537_copy_Small.jpg