Photo

Desert Bred

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 NaharinsJettaBean

NaharinsJettaBean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Has anyone bred to any desert bred arabs? I'd love to see them if you have. Just for fun and my own curiosity! :)

#2 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

You should got to Egyptian Breeders. There are some people breeding Bahraini horses, and I believe Saudi and Iranian Arabs (Spain & UK) - although from my understanding these Irani horses were exported years ago and Iran isn't doing any business with their horses at this time (shocker). I'll see if I can find their names and get back to you.
Of course, the EAO is still operating with concentrations of athletic desert blood we rarely see here in the states. They don't believe in inbreeding and didn't really use Nazeer until he was about 13 so his influence is minimal over there - with good results.
Kate Smutnick
Van Alma Arabians
https://www.facebook...analma.arabians

#3 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

One of the Saudi Farms has a special page for its desert bred horses which they use for endurance. The horses are big boned and strong, not at all like their show strings. It is quite a contrast to their other horses.

John Rogers imported a couple of DB mares to breed to Serafix, namely Thorrayah and Subaiha. Those lines live on through the get of Meteor and SX Champion. He loved endurance and those lines excelled in racing. Their sons and daughters were some of the foundation stock of modern Arabian racing and crossed really well with the Kontiki lines. I have two mares with those lines, Sheza Champ KU and her sons, Northern Flight and yearling Valorrs Champion. She has produced three winning race babies. The other mare is Kurrera Kon JMF who is by the SX Champion son Kuegar Kon out of a Meteor bred mare. KK is 13 and has no foals. I really like the bloodlines, they are strong horses with great legs and feet. KK is very tall and was started too young so bowed a tendon, but it is healed and she does not have any issues from it. Champ and Northern Flight have cast iron legs and big platter feet, a well developed shoulder and wonderful movement. They won't win "beauty" contests, but they are wonderful athletes and riding horses.
Sue

#4 Pembroke

Pembroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

Has anyone bred to any desert bred arabs? I'd love to see them if you have. Just for fun and my own curiosity! :)

Have you checked out the AL Khamsa site??? The have a section with farm/breeders

Technecally my Davenports would be considered Desert bred Arabs. Where about in New York are you? I am in CT.

Here are pictures of my Davenports

HH Noura Krush-- also mare in my avater----

Posted Image

Posted Image

Miss Fancy Free

Posted Image

Posted Image

Our 2009 Davenport colt--- Time Twister---- out of our mare Miss Fancy Free and sired by Maria Wallis's Popinjay ( My Golden farm in Texas)--- He is for sale

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

His sire Popinjay
Posted Image

#5 NaharinsJettaBean

NaharinsJettaBean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

I'm in Syracuse...we're finally getting our fair share of snow today, I put our guys out just long enough to clean stalls and they came back looking like the first picture of your mare! How fuzzy and cute she is!

I love the arabs that aren't "beauty contestants" (although I love the beauty contestants just as much!) I think it's lovely to add a little bone to our Arabs. I have been somewhat disappointed lately, I think some breeders are overdoing the fineness just a little :-/ You know what I mean? I guess I liked the old school Arabians better maybe, I don't know what it is...

#6 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:48 AM

I'm in Syracuse...we're finally getting our fair share of snow today, I put our guys out just long enough to clean stalls and they came back looking like the first picture of your mare! How fuzzy and cute she is!

I love the arabs that aren't "beauty contestants" (although I love the beauty contestants just as much!) I think it's lovely to add a little bone to our Arabs. I have been somewhat disappointed lately, I think some breeders are overdoing the fineness just a little :-/ You know what I mean? I guess I liked the old school Arabians better maybe, I don't know what it is...

You're not alone in that sentiment. There are many people who still want smart, doing horses even if they aren't the prettiest horse in the pasture. I'm gonna see if I can find the pics of the Bahraini and Irani horses. I think you'll be pleasantly surprized.
Kate Smutnick
Van Alma Arabians

#7 Pembroke

Pembroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

Here is a website for The Desert Bred Arasbians---- I meet the gentleman who owns these horse a few years back at the 2006 Al Khamsa Convention in IL-----Amazing horses!!!! And what a wonderful man.

http://www.desertbred.com/index.php

You're not alone in that sentiment. There are many people who still want smart, doing horses even if they aren't the prettiest horse in the pasture. I'm gonna see if I can find the pics of the Bahraini and Irani horses. I think you'll be pleasantly surprized.

Nice to see there are others who appreciate more then the exotic.
I have posted pictures many times and I get very few remarks one way or another. LOL

#8 VanAlma

VanAlma

Kate Smutnick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

:bigemo_harabe_net-110:

I'm thinking about going to this year's Al Khamsa convention. Would be nice to see 1 or 2 of these horses in the flesh. Thanks for that link.
Kate Smutnick
Van Alma Arabians

#9 morganm

morganm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

Great thread! I have "desert bred" Arabians if you count Al Khamsa/Blue List.

Cavalier is 100% Al Khamsa/Asil, Blue List. He's been very consistent with his foals and I absolutely adore my two Cavalier colts.

All photos were taken at age 18:
A TamCam photo:
Posted Image

and a couple of others:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Home of:
multi regional champion RB Cavalier 1991 black stallion(Arabi Fadh Onyx x BA Cerulean Ebony)
reserve national champion AO Breeze 2001 chestnut stallion (Aclsic Raff x Mosha Khaitlyn)
scottsdale top 10/regional top 5 Moments Light 2001 gray mare (Thee Masterpiece x Moments Sequel)

#10 NaharinsJettaBean

NaharinsJettaBean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

Here is a website for The Desert Bred Arasbians---- I meet the gentleman who owns these horse a few years back at the 2006 Al Khamsa Convention in IL-----Amazing horses!!!! And what a wonderful man.

Nice to see there are others who appreciate more then the exotic.
I have posted pictures many times and I get very few remarks one way or another. LOL

Love these!

Great thread! I have "desert bred" Arabians if you count Al Khamsa/Blue List.

Cavalier is 100% Al Khamsa/Asil, Blue List. He's been very consistent with his foals and I absolutely adore my two Cavalier colts.

All photos were taken at age 18:
A TamCam photo:
Posted Image

and a couple of others:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And he is just lovely! This is exactly what I like. You can keep the Arab look/charisma that has some nice solidness and doesn't look like a china doll (not that I don't like them that way too, I couldn't put an exotic arab and an arab with bone in the same box and decide which one was more beautiful...apples and oranges my friends lol). How refreshing to see such a well balanced boy :)