Photo

Problem Mare Pregnant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

It is weird and I am halfway hesitant to have my mare palpated since she has lost foals before. Anyone know if palpation can cause abortion at all? Thanks..... Oh, and could I just give her the rhino shots anyway and then if she isn't pregnant would they hurt her? Would love to know if palpation causes any issues. Thanks!! (This mare has a history of not hanging onto foals is why I am asking) Got me to thinking a bit Layne!! Your post has actually added to mine and been extremely helpful to my thoughts on what I want to do with Sarah.
Signature being edited, too large.

#22 Billie940

Billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

She looks a tad bit low in the belly to me. Not really dumpy at all though. She is sporting a belly though. Not a huge one, but a belly .

Here is Sarah, hers is saggier but she is older and probably had more foals, she has had like 6 or 7 Posted Image

This one defiantely looks Peggers to me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

#23 DesertSongArabs

DesertSongArabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

I don't think palpation would cause a mare to lose the foal. Desi, our mare, was u/s in foal when she was rebred for us out in IA. That would have been April - and I went out to get her in August that year. I had her ultrasounded again after we got home - just because it was a very long trip for her to come home, she stressed a bit, and I was a nervous nelly with this being my first foal.

She was fine - and the ultrasound showed baby was just fine.

Wishing you both luck - I have to say both mares look pretty pregnant to me.

Ann

Desert Song Arabians - Home of:
Desperansa - leased for 2012

BAD BeyOBask - my heart horse
Visit us at http://www.desertsongarabians.com

#24 mhtokay

mhtokay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

This is really irritating because if she is in foal I was planning to Sweeps nominate and I guess I will miss out on that if I get a surprise.

You might want to check, but it used to be, if you nominated an unborn foal and it was born dead or aborted, you'd get a credit for use on a future foal.

#25 Cassel Mountain

Cassel Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:19 AM

Didn't you say she'd be 6 months by now? Simple palpation should definitely pick it up by now!
P.Boustead

CASSELS MAJIDA AHR*515511 21-May-1993 Mare Bay
CASSELS ZELSTA AHR*515512 20-April-1993 Mare Grey
CASSELS BRAZOS AHR*515513 24-May-1994 Stallion Bay
CASSELS HANA AHR*515514 20-May-1993 Mare Bay
CASSELS CZESKA AHR*552344 19-May-1996 Mare Bay
CASSELS GLORIOUS AHR*573696 03-May-1998 Mare Grey
CMA ARAGORN AHR*647992 19-April-2009 Stallion Grey

#26 starling

starling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

It is weird and I am halfway hesitant to have my mare palpated since she has lost foals before. Anyone know if palpation can cause abortion at all? Thanks..... Oh, and could I just give her the rhino shots anyway and then if she isn't pregnant would they hurt her? Would love to know if palpation causes any issues. Thanks!! (This mare has a history of not hanging onto foals is why I am asking) Got me to thinking a bit Layne!! Your post has actually added to mine and been extremely helpful to my thoughts on what I want to do with Sarah.

I personally am not a fan of the Rhino shots. The 2 mares that I have had that aborted, both aborted after the 3rd Rhino shot. I will not use it again.
If you have to write your ethics rules down, you've already lost

STARLING "STAR" DEVERICKS

CORDEACE (Sir Fames HBV x OFW Shah Amber) AHA 2007 Chestnut Filly

SKIPPA SPORTIN ASHA (Skippa Gold Policy x Sportin The Moves) AQHA 2007 Sooty Buckskin Filly

MORGAN (rescue QH) Bay Mare Babysitter to the Brats and hater of fly masks!

#27 Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hmm not sure she definately looks like she could be in foal. I hope she is for you!!! Would be awsome. I have not dealt with mares that have had caslicks but know people that do. It can be a pain as they say you need to get a vet out a week or so before foaling but some mares go early and some late so i dont know about dealing with that. I would bet the farm that Lacinda's mare Sarah is DEFINATELY PREGGO. It sure looks it!!!

However you now some mares can have false pregnancies. I got a mare in fall 2008 that was thin along with her companion buddy. We slowly put weight on them and by spring they looked fabulous. About July of this year the one started getting huge - wide, belly dropped down, even had that "V" shape they can get in the hip area. Her udder was coming down and looked like they could be filling.

We had our mare Elise have a foal (Lexi) at the end of May and this mare was calling and fretting around thinking it was hers. Dont know what happened but she seriously had a false pregnancy. In August our other mare Casie gave birth to our Envy and this false-preggo mare started getting REALLY moody, grouchy, chasing other mares away and just acting like a mare ready to foal within a few weeks. We waited and watched and NOTHING. A month or so later the belly started going away and now she is back to normal like nothing. The poor thing i felt sorry for her. But that is the reason i didnt breed her or her companion (these 2 mares have to be together) as i thought i may have a foal but ended up nothing. She was in a 1 acre field and we checked everywhere she didnt give birth at all.
Cassiosum Acres Arabians & Tack
Ask about our monthly sales and specials and check me out on Facebook too
RIP to my heart and soul SUMMETICIAN May 30 1993 - January 6th 2012. Mom loves you always and we will meet again

#28 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:31 AM

It is Mother Natures way of teasing us I think!!! As much as I want Sarah to be in foal a part of me also had already accepted that she wasn't and moved on so it will just be a bonus at this point. A little let down maybe but nothing like back when she really was found by the 2 vets NOT to be in foal. I remember then how weird I felt to see that embryo on the U/S and be told it was not an embryo, I just would not accept it at first! I even kept her on the regumate quite a while as I refused to accept 'no'. Finally I took her off the regumate and accepted it and have moved on just fine :) I just had spent 1300.00 (not including stud fee) on ONE cycle for Sarah and I was not having no for an answer . I saw that little embryo thing, and I kept thinking 'but but but, IT IS AN EMBRYO" but the vets said "sorry it is a cyst". So yea, now I am just waiting and will get my answer, I know Sarah looks preggo but she also has shown heat (a weird heat but heat nonetheless....) Also a friend told me cysts can grow and make their belly big....... I hope your mare is pregnant Layne. I think she looks thickened in the belly but not quite rounded yet. I agree on not flushing her, you are right, that is why I did not do it to Sarah either, I just could not believe that little egg on the U/S was a cyst LOL.

#29 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:50 AM

Didn't you say she'd be 6 months by now? Simple palpation should definitely pick it up by now!

Not only will a simple palpation detect the foal at 5 or 6 months, but I doubt the vet will get his arm in up to his forearm. It would be a quick exam. This was the case with GLF Sheez Aul That. I sent her home after breeding and told the mare owner to check her. She didn't and at 5 months the mare started looking like she gained weight in the flank. The owner was telling me how Poppy was getting fat on pasture and when she told me the weight was in the flank I suggested she have her checked. The vet barely got his arm in before he felt a kick.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#30 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

Peter, Sarah's weight is not in the flank, as all the photos show. Is in the belly. The belly however is majorly round not droopy. We will see soon enough my friend

(I know you were replying to Layne, just letting you know that Sarah has more belly weight , if anything her flank is slightly sunken where it meets the belly)