Photo

Problem Mare Pregnant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#11 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

I have had a couple of mares get in foal and the U/S show nothing...it happens all the time. I am very reluctant to allow vets to give my mares, especially older mares drugs to short cycle them because the fetus does not always show! I really do wonder how many they kill because they don't see them.

I had one mare that was huge before they could palpate and feel a foal, then she foaled about four weeks later. Modern technology sometimes leaves desire for improvement!

Billie, I would trust your experiences then, but have you had an ultrasound show a lot of fluid? That usually indicates infection, but can it sometimes be because of pregnancy? With all of the fluid I am guessing a fetus would be hard to pick up on, but she is already at 6 months and this was done at 4 months? I would think that was far enough along to see something.

#12 Faith Hope Love Stables

Faith Hope Love Stables

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Well Layne I hope you get a fabulous foal. When would she be due if she is?

Available to Show/Breeder Home: Najm Al Din FHL (pending) Abayyan strain phenomenon sired by Rafaa'iq (ZT Faa'iz x Al Asail Aliraffa) and out of Maysunah Ahmar (Jasadd x Bishaarah)

#13 starlitefarms

starlitefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:32 AM

i say they both are infoal! lol watch out ladies your both gona be very busy lol.

Home of :

Kharizma SFA ( Da Valentino x Kha-sarra) 01 Bay gelding

Kha-sarra ( Khadraj NA x Basarra VV) 97 bay mare

Miss Fire SFA ( Hopes Afire x Chopinna Regina) 04 bay HA mare 

#14 Mortazavi Farms

Mortazavi Farms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

You could always have her checked again. We had one that we thought was. Vet checked her for the 3rd time, not preggy. She did have an infection, so was flushed then caslicked. If your mare isn't preggy and does have an infection, it can lead to problems with fertility down the road, so better to take care of it now. I really do hope that both of your girls are in foal. They sure look like it by the size of those bellies! We have 2 that were US that are preggy that aren't that large. One maiden, the other is our super sick Strangles girl. Thank goodness I'm getting weight back on her!

Stacy Mortazavi

Posted Image

Herd Dispersal Sale, offering several quality horses available for breeding, show and family/trail stock and prospects.

#15 Billie940

Billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

Billie, I would trust your experiences then, but have you had an ultrasound show a lot of fluid? That usually indicates infection, but can it sometimes be because of pregnancy? With all of the fluid I am guessing a fetus would be hard to pick up on, but she is already at 6 months and this was done at 4 months? I would think that was far enough along to see something.

Layne, you are correct the fluid does usually indicate infection...but with older mares I think fluid is something that is there most of the time. And sometimes is not a problem...I need to go back and read your mares age, for some reason I was thinking 19 years old...most of my older, meaning 20 to 25 year olds, have fluid, as I said some times it is an infection that needs to be dealt with, really depends on how much fluid. I would think at 6 months they could palpate a foal if it is there. Another thing that makes it hard to see pregnancy is cyst, most if not all older mares have cyst, some are huge but they should be mapped, so from year to year with her you know what is already there in the form of cyst.

It's time to be able to tell something.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

#16 mhtokay

mhtokay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

Well, I'd get her checked. Fluid doesn't always indicate infection, but, if she is, do you want that sitting in there all this time causing more trouble? I'd certainly address it now to get her cleaned up and ready for spring breeding, or see if she's pregnant.

#17 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:23 AM

Yea, if it is I'd have it flushed out. I don't want to scare you but I waited (per vets advice actually) to clear one of my mares who had a lot of fluid (She was 24) and even a bit of infection and we lost her when we moved her. We did not do an autopsy but we had a few theories one of them was it had ruptured. Other theories on what led to her death had nothing to do with her uterus (brain tumor, aneurysm etc.) but that was one of them. Can't wait to hear either way, I will let you know on my gal too so we have future reference points for people who go through this. I think it is nice to have that, something to look back on and say "Wow that mare looked THAT pregnant and wasn't!!!".
Signature being edited, too large.

#18 Camelot Farms Arabians

Camelot Farms Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Yea, if it is I'd have it flushed out. I don't want to scare you but I waited (per vets advice actually) to clear one of my mares who had a lot of fluid (She was 24) and even a bit of infection and we lost her when we moved her. We did not do an autopsy but we had a few theories one of them was it had ruptured. Other theories on what led to her death had nothing to do with her uterus (brain tumor, aneurysm etc.) but that was one of them. Can't wait to hear either way, I will let you know on my gal too so we have future reference points for people who go through this. I think it is nice to have that, something to look back on and say "Wow that mare looked THAT pregnant and wasn't!!!".

Heather,
Have your tried the wee foal pregnancy test. Done with urine. I have used it in the past and have had good results. you can purchase on internet and do yourself.
Mary Ellen

Posted Image

Copyright 2010 Camelot Farms

#19 Cassel Mountain

Cassel Mountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

Had one... 22 yo... US open, at 6 weeks, tho she never showed heat again...so I threw her back out with the open mares...

Come next spring, she starting building a bag! Had the vet palpate, and yup! Little feller was just fine and happy!

Unfortunately, a day later he kickicke inside and rupptured his umpilical artery, and she aborted. DAMDAMNDAMNDAMN DAN!
P.Boustead

CASSELS MAJIDA AHR*515511 21-May-1993 Mare Bay
CASSELS ZELSTA AHR*515512 20-April-1993 Mare Grey
CASSELS BRAZOS AHR*515513 24-May-1994 Stallion Bay
CASSELS HANA AHR*515514 20-May-1993 Mare Bay
CASSELS CZESKA AHR*552344 19-May-1996 Mare Bay
CASSELS GLORIOUS AHR*573696 03-May-1998 Mare Grey
CMA ARAGORN AHR*647992 19-April-2009 Stallion Grey

#20 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Well, if I have her flushed and she is in foal then I am losing that foal for sure...That is why I have been waiting on it because something about my intuition is telling me to wait and I think I will by a weefoal test kit and frgo an ultrasound until next month. This is really irritating because if she is in foal I was planning to Sweeps nominate and I guess I will miss out on that if I get a surprise. I'm feeding her like a pregnant mare just in case and I guess I will find out. This is a frustrating thing to deal with since you can't plan for things as well and she keeps growing like something is going on....just so weird.