Photo

Problem Mare Pregnant?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

Okay, we have a 17 year old career broodmare that was covered just once last season. She never came back into heat and so I had her ultrasounded.........the vet said that he saw a lot of fluid and that he thought she could possibly just have a low-grade infection, but he saw no fetus. The breeding season was already gone, so I didn't have her cultured....figured that the year was shot and we could try again next year if she's a dirty mare. She does have a slightly tipped ######, but her previous owners, to my knowledge, didn't do a caslick's on her before. My vet said that it would be best to close her up after covering to keep her in foal. She is pushing 18 at this point, but doesn't act her age and we all know how our Arabians are....If she was a dirty mare I don't know how she had such a long career as a broodmare if she was a problem to get in foal. I know the age, but even still I know that a tipped ###### is there from the start.

Anyway, here lately, my mare looks VERY pregnant and she's moody as hades- and she is normally very tolerant and sweet! She's got the dropped preggo belly going on and I did the nail test on her and kept getting a counter-clockwise positive! She is so very pregnant acting and looking that I am totally confused. She never did come back into heat this year after being covered AT ALL, that I am for sure of, so is there a chance that ultrasound was wrong and I should take her back??? My vet's opinion was that she needed to be flushed and treated for infection to even get pregnant and he saw nothing on the ultrasound and palpation. I've been thinking this whole time that she would be a problem next year and there was nothing going on.

Has anyone ever had this experience of a surprise pregnancy when an ultrasound found nothing? This is our first experience breeding this mare, so I just don't know what to think. I will be taking her back to the vet to know for sure, but it could be he sees nothing but fluid again.....and I'll still be wondering. How often does it happen?

#2 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hey, not sure if you saw my thread on Sarah but I have almost this exact situation and to make it even more funky today 3 separate people thought they felt movement LOL. I am going to be SO embarrassed (and you know I probably will as 2 vets found my mare negative no embryo only a cyst....) when she comes up NOT pregnant after how much attention I have put onto this. She just looks SO so SO pregnant and yes acts it (tried to bite me when i was playing with her belly yesterday, this mare NEVER bites) and then today with the supposed movement, who knows. Do you have photos? My mare has an appt. Jan 6th to be checked......these mares can be tricky and vets can be wrong. In my case I think she is probably NOT pregnant as she did show heat about a week ago and now isn't (and had a clear mucous shooting out of her when showing heat, sorry to those with weak tummies). But again, these mares can be TRICKY TRICKY!!!! They can fool us both ways......being pregnant when we think they aren't and being open when we think they are preggo. I would love to see photos of yours. I will bump Sarahs thread for you so you can see my photos and compare...let me know what you think. My girl would be 6 months along.

My mare is 19 and also one that was hard to clear....
Signature being edited, too large.

#3 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Interesting photos of Sheila's mare on the last page of my thread too, goes to show....they really CAN look pregnant when they aren't. I have been making sure Sarah gets more exercise the last few days to get her back in good shape, if she is as fat as she looks and not pregnant she is in trouble lol...time for Horsey Craig for my girl. Also going to talk to my vet about her possibly being pre cushings and see if we can't catch it early if she is. This tummy is just so big. You look at it and giggle.

#4 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Interesting photos of Sheila's mare on the last page of my thread too, goes to show....they really CAN look pregnant when they aren't. I have been making sure Sarah gets more exercise the last few days to get her back in good shape, if she is as fat as she looks and not pregnant she is in trouble lol...time for Horsey Craig for my girl. Also going to talk to my vet about her possibly being pre cushings and see if we can't catch it early if she is. This tummy is just so big. You look at it and giggle.

Well, She would be about 6 months along as well around the first of January. Her last ultrasound was at 4 months and I haven't bothered since. We should have had her cultured earlier this year but we covered her later in the season via live cover and we figured we'd get another chance to fix whatever went wrong if she didn't catch. I had no reason to think she would be a problem as she's been a career girl in the breeding department, but it really could be the age catching up to her at this point. I honestly thought she had, as she never showed any heat after that, and still hasn't! I will get some photos of her tomorrow and post. She's an ugly wooly bear right now, but that belly is BIG!This mare also tends to be a hard keeper to begin with, so I don't know how she got so fat if she isn't pregnant. She's a hot mare and a career fence walker/nervous nelly most of the time, so I just don't get the belly because she's never been dumpy! She's is our only mare who gets ribby without a TON of food and she's only been getting her normal amounts.....so I can't figure out why she gained weight if she isn't preggo.

#5 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

She very well may be Layne, they really are tricky girls. The U/S can't catch all pregnancies most likely due to user error. I just have 2 vets saying no on mine is why I was just SO SO sure. And kinda still am but my girl is like yours, just huge. To where even the skeptics look at her and say "That belly is just way too much to just be her hanging low or fat". And the underline of it is hard as a rock. It is not fleshy at all. I am checking mine just to be sure but at this point I am exasperated with it all lol. Look forward to seeing your mare, mine was furry too, don't worry!! By the way , my mare grew this belly on a lighter than usual diet too.

#6 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

She very well may be Layne, they really are tricky girls. The U/S can't catch all pregnancies most likely due to user error. I just have 2 vets saying no on mine is why I was just SO SO sure. And kinda still am but my girl is like yours, just huge. To where even the skeptics look at her and say "That belly is just way too much to just be her hanging low or fat". And the underline of it is hard as a rock. It is not fleshy at all. I am checking mine just to be sure but at this point I am exasperated with it all lol. Look forward to seeing your mare, mine was furry too, don't worry!! By the way , my mare grew this belly on a lighter than usual diet too.

Well, I have nothing to do right now....xmas break from the job, so I may haul down there to the barn and get a photo of her to show you. She is a fat 'un! Here is a photo of her from last summer not long after we got her. She was a bit gaunt here, but you can tell this mare has a tighter underline and no hay belly normally.

Attached Thumbnails

• 711086-R1-19-19A.jpg

#7 Billie940

Billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I have had a couple of mares get in foal and the U/S show nothing...it happens all the time. I am very reluctant to allow vets to give my mares, especially older mares drugs to short cycle them because the fetus does not always show! I really do wonder how many they kill because they don't see them.

I had one mare that was huge before they could palpate and feel a foal, then she foaled about four weeks later. Modern technology sometimes leaves desire for improvement!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

#8 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

If Sarah turns out to be pregnant I will not ever U/S before like 30 days again, that was what I always did with my mare Flame and we never had any issues. This is the first time I've had any questions with using U/S and I blame it on doing it way too soon (17 and like 26 days) and because of that though the vets may very well turn out to be right the problem is I am second guessing their decisions based on how early I did it. Had we done it at over 30 days I am pretty sure results would not have been so shaky. I think it would have been more clear and no 'things' hanging around in the uterus that were not clear as to their identity. There was a definite embryo looking 'thing' on that 17 day U/S (I am now told my girls pregnancy could have only been 11 days along at that point!!) . Anyway, no more pre 30 days U/S for me!!!

The reason it could have only been 11 days is I read it can sometimes ovulate many days after you think. That would mean my 27 day check was only like 21 days etc. Hope to see your photos soon Layne!! I can focus on someone elses tricky pesky mare lol.

#9 Layne

Layne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

Well, here is a photo. Sorry, she is very dirty. Didn't clean her off from turnout today and we live in mudland, but doesn't she look "dumpy"? You have to understand, she never looks dumpy....

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3560 - Copy.JPG

#10 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

She looks a tad bit low in the belly to me. Not really dumpy at all though. She is sporting a belly though. Not a huge one, but a belly .

Here is Sarah, hers is saggier but she is older and probably had more foals, she has had like 6 or 7 Posted Image