Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a camera.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#11 Integrity Arabians

Integrity Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

How do you tell if the motor is in the lens or in the body of the camera?

Michelle
Om El Faria 1996 Bay Arabian Mare
(Sanadik El Shaklan X Bint Bint Faaris) - LEASED

Goodale Entertainment - Video Editing, Motion Graphics, & Photography - Web Design

#12 starlitefarms

starlitefarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

if its a automatic lens it will say it. otherwise it will say manuel. i have a nikon d40 and two different zoom lens. its a super camera! i love this one as its so versitale. i was told buy a good camera but spend the majority of your money on a really awesome lens. here is a few pics i have taken with mine.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Home of :

Kharizma SFA ( Da Valentino x Kha-sarra) 01 Bay gelding

Kha-sarra ( Khadraj NA x Basarra VV) 97 bay mare

Miss Fire SFA ( Hopes Afire x Chopinna Regina) 04 bay HA mare 

#13 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

On mine there is an switch on the camera for auto/manual on the side next to the lens as well as on the lenses that are AF. Nikon is weird in how they roll out their products. I was looking at the D40 and D60 as those and I'd have to buy all new lenses. I went to a different store, a chain and got an amazing honest salesperson that told me the older models, D50, D70 are actually older than the D40 and D60 and they have the motors in the body of the camera. Apparently Nikon wanted to make the newer bodies more lightweight, It doesn't make sense to me as once you put the motorized lens on the lightweight body it pretty much weighs the same as a camera with the motor in the body, but apparenty Nikon hasn't felt the need to consult with me :) The Auto focus lenses have AF at the end, the reviews will say if the camera needs an AF lense or if it can be be used with any Nikkor lens. So far the D50, D70, D90 and I'm pretty sure the D80 have the motor in the camera. I found a pic of the D90 online, and it shows the switch on the right side of the camera body, below the lense release button that lets you switch from AF to Manual. For me I don't mind a few extra ounces of weight for the convenience of being able to purchase a variety of lenses and some at pretty attractive prices. This thread got me looking on ebay for accessories and I found a 650-2600mm lens for $269. It looks like a flipping telescope! Hope they have one available at xmas time! That and lessons just went on my list for Santa :)
t

Attached Thumbnails

• d90 front.jpg

#14 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

Just remember .... "the best camera is the one you have with you"

100 amazing iPhone photos :: Photocritic photography blog

with my iPhone (3G)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Linda and Shane (retired july 2006)
Tukes Shenanigans+ [Yahya Matuk x OK Aquarius by El Raffon]

Loved by All ..... Owned by ME

2006 & 2005 Region 13: Reserve Champion Sport Horse Under Saddle
2005 Region 14: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2004 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2002 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Geldings In-Hand
2000 Region 13: Top Five Hunter Pleasure Open
1997 Region 13 & 18: Reserve Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1996 Region 18: Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1994 Region 13: Champion 2 Year Old Gelding Sweepstakes
1994 Ohio Buckeye: Reserve Champion Junior Gelding Halter
1992 born at 2 am St. Patrick's Day

#15 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

One piece of advice I was given when I was looking for a new camera is to go to a retailer and try the ones you are most interested in. Actually holding them in your hands helps a bunch.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#16 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thought I would share info on what we use --

My sister bought the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT -- just point and shoot or you can get really technical. Uses not only the current lenses made for this camera but also the readily available Canon 35 MM lenses of old or those that fit Canon.

Cost is well within your budget.

Here are some of the photos taken with this camera --
WDs.jpg
VHsr.jpg
Also, these files are huge unless you resize them down, as she did. Make sure your computer can handle it!

It has a setting to freeze motion, but watch as these servo bursts can easily fill a card fast and increases the demand on your battery. I believe that almost all of the photos on our website (with the exception of those taken by Stu Vesty, Tex Cam, etc) are taken with this camera...even my flower ones on our "Farm" page. Remember, these were resized files. Look around here http://www.sapphirefarms.com

Sue Wells
Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#17 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

I've heard the statue of the Da Vinci horse at Meijer Gardens was huge, I had no idea how huge! We stopped in Vinci and this one in the center of city where he was born, we thought it was big, but it's only fractional of the size of the one in Grand Rapids.

I agree, you can take great pictures with anything, my daughter and I used to have a competition with our cell phones to see who could get the best/funniest pics. Spent most of a 3 hour layover at Detro Metro Airport taking wacky pics of the light show in the tunnel. I'm surprised no one called security! Since I bought this camera I've actually traded in the cute trendy purse in favor of a utilitarian backpack looking one that I can take my camera and an extra lens with me where ever I go. I just love digital. Shoot now, delete later!

Attached Thumbnails

• 147.JPG
  • 145.JPG

#18 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

He is absolutely amazing. I went back a second time when the cleaners were gone. The whole gardens are phenomenal - a photographers paradise. I was there for a concert and spent the whole day filling up SD cards.

Here is a small set of the hundred or so pix I did: Meijer Gardens Sept 08 - a set on Flickr

I think this is my favorite shot ....Posted Image
Linda and Shane (retired july 2006)
Tukes Shenanigans+ [Yahya Matuk x OK Aquarius by El Raffon]

Loved by All ..... Owned by ME

2006 & 2005 Region 13: Reserve Champion Sport Horse Under Saddle
2005 Region 14: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2004 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2002 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Geldings In-Hand
2000 Region 13: Top Five Hunter Pleasure Open
1997 Region 13 & 18: Reserve Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1996 Region 18: Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1994 Region 13: Champion 2 Year Old Gelding Sweepstakes
1994 Ohio Buckeye: Reserve Champion Junior Gelding Halter
1992 born at 2 am St. Patrick's Day

#19 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Check out Craigs List for great camera deals. Right now, people are selling their toys b/c of the economy. I found my Canon 40D on CL and paid $800 for it. 160 clicks with 8 months of warranty left. AWESOME camera! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#20 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

He is absolutely amazing. I went back a second time when the cleaners were gone. The whole gardens are phenomenal - a photographers paradise. I was there for a concert and spent the whole day filling up SD cards.

Here is a small set of the hundred or so pix I did: Meijer Gardens Sept 08 - a set on Flickr

I think this is my favorite shot ....Posted Image

Very cool, really captures the size. We are only a little over an hour away from Grand Rapids, I definitely need to go over there! I should bring my new boyfriend, he would look great riding him.....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0102.JPG