Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a camera.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Oak Lawn Arabians

Oak Lawn Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

I am looking for some recommendations on digital cameras. I am looking to step up from the over the counter camera to something that I can take better pictures with. Something in the $1000 range and with different lens capability. Battery life is EXTREMELY important to me. Something that is easy to medium in learning curve. Something that has automatic and manual setting capabilities.

I would like to ask for this for Christmas. :o)

Thanks for your help,

Carrie

Oak Lawn Arabians
Carrie and Alex Stewart
Home of CT Saint Patrick, Dancin InThe Sand AND Beaudacious Boogie OLA, 2009 Region 15 Top 5 SHIH Mares ATH Open
"Using Bloodlines of the Past, To Create Beautiful Athletes of the Future!"

#2 Burgundy Oaks

Burgundy Oaks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

I love my Xti Canon Rebel. Great camera for all levels and really good for shooting horses. Different lens options available and you can use it in Auto mode or manual setting.

Examples
061.JPG

Maggie Canter 5_31.JPG
Kelly
Burgundy Oaks Farm/Kelly Kenneally Photography
www.KellyKenneallyPhotography.com
The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears ~ Arabian Proverb

#3 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

For that price you probably can get a nice canon or Nikon DSLR with a couple lenses.

I purchased a used Nikon on ebay and it came the packaged with a 50m and a 50-300 lense. I love it!

#4 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

I noticed a sale on the Canon XSI which is what I have. You should be able to get the camera body, the 18-55 mm IS lens and the 75-300mm lens for $1,000.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#5 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

I noticed a sale on the Canon XSI which is what I have. You should be able to get the camera body, the 18-55 mm IS lens and the 75-300mm lens for $1,000.

great review site: Steve's Digicams - Main Menu

I just got a Canon SX1 IS and love it. It does not have interchangeable lenses, but has 20X optical zoom built and does full 1028p HD video, 10 megapixels and a CMOS sensor (much better than a CCD). It will be great for horse show work next year. I used to be an Olympus fan, but now prefer Canons. A swivel back lcd screen is a must have for me. Great for getting those low shots of the dogs and the overhead shots of the kids.
Linda and Shane (retired july 2006)
Tukes Shenanigans+ [Yahya Matuk x OK Aquarius by El Raffon]

Loved by All ..... Owned by ME

2006 & 2005 Region 13: Reserve Champion Sport Horse Under Saddle
2005 Region 14: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2004 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Under Saddle
2002 Region 13: Top Five Sport Horse Geldings In-Hand
2000 Region 13: Top Five Hunter Pleasure Open
1997 Region 13 & 18: Reserve Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1996 Region 18: Champion Hunter Pleasure Junior Horse
1994 Region 13: Champion 2 Year Old Gelding Sweepstakes
1994 Ohio Buckeye: Reserve Champion Junior Gelding Halter
1992 born at 2 am St. Patrick's Day

#6 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:23 AM

I've had a couple point and shoots and the batteries just never seem to hold. I can shoot up to about 250-300 pics on one charge with my Nikon DSLR slightly less if I am using the flash or doing alot of on screen editing/playback and it recharges quickly. Plus with a DSLR you can always accesorize! I've had mine for 6 months and am having a blast. Took it to Puerto Rico and Italy this year, shot 2 wedding and a large open dressage show I think I have taken over 6000 pics. For Christmas I am asking for extras. An external flash, a wide angle lense, and a zoom doubler.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1544.JPG
  • US068.JPG
  • 045.JPG
  • DSC_1560.JPG
  • DSC_1937.JPG

#7 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

I also prefer a camera that takes normal AA batteries. If you want extra staying power, you can pay a bit more and get lithium ones. I use almost nothing but rechargeable. Until recently though, they would drain substantially while just sitting around so I'd have to remember to put a couple sets on the charger the night before a big event. There are now several brands of low discharge rechargeable AA's that really hold power for months in the camera or bag. The highest rated are ones called Eneloop made by Sanyo. They cost about $10 for a set of 4, but a well worth it! Have them in all of my home and car flashlights too.

#8 Integrity Arabians

Integrity Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

I'm in a photography class, and it's been suggested by the instructor who is a photojournalist currently to go with Nikon or Canon.

I'm currently looking at the Canon Rebel Xsi, as well as the Nikon D5000 and the D90 which is supposed to be the more professional version.

Michelle
Om El Faria 1996 Bay Arabian Mare
(Sanadik El Shaklan X Bint Bint Faaris) - LEASED

Goodale Entertainment - Video Editing, Motion Graphics, & Photography - Web Design

#9 lvt

lvt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

a few shots with my new toy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 elitearab

elitearab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

Nikon and Canon usually are the two largest brands and get the best reviews for DSLRs. I know three professionals that all use Nikons, (plus Ashton Kutcher is their spokesman ;) The bonus with the best selling brands is you can usually find the compatable lenses pretty easily. I had a Nikon 35 mm and had a 200 and a 35-75 lens. When I went to buy a new camera I was looking at cannons but found that if I went with certain Nikon models I could use the lenses I already had. I bought a Nikon D50 with a basic 50 and a 300 zoom on ebay with all the software, cords, battery and charger for $385. I can use the two lenses I already have as well. I might even pick up a D90 if I can find the body for a good price. Some of the Nikon cameras have the motor in the body (like the D50 and D90) while others newer models D60 and D80 have the motor in the lens which makes the lens really expensive. I'm notoriously hard on cameras, I use them around the farm and at shows where it's dusty I took mine to Puerto Rico the week after I bought it, took it to the beach, horseback riding on the beach, and even into a cave that was in the ocean with waves rushing in, even got a couple drops on the lens noticable in the first photo. If I would have gotten this new and spent a bunch I would have been freaking, but instead I just wiped it off and hoped for the best, haven't had any problems with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0140.JPG
  • DSC_0122.JPG
  • DSC_0097.JPG
  • DSC_0262.JPG