Photo

region 17 fall meeting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 overtime

overtime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone had seen the minutes yet from the fall meeting, or if they were there and could let us know how it went? I wanted to go myself this year, but alas I had a stupid job that I had to go to. Darn paying for horses! ;)

#2 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

I attended the Region 17 meeting. I don't know for sure but the minutes may be on the website as Robert is pretty darn efficient. I know he had our show commission minutes typed up the day after the meeting so I am sure he has the regular meeting minutes done too.

Is there anything in particular you were wondering about as so much was discussed it would take forever to write it all, but I could probably answer questions you might have as they pertain to the meeting.

Posted Image
Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal!

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#3 overtime

overtime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Thanks Marcia, I will go check out the website. I hadn't seen anything yet. I was mostly wondering about the regional show. If anything about the dates and locations was discussed, or if anything came from the survey results?

Leslie

#4 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Marcia, I will go check out the website. I hadn't seen anything yet. I was mostly wondering about the regional show. If anything about the dates and locations was discussed, or if anything came from the survey results?

Leslie

As always the discussions regarding the show was a long one. The good news is that having the show in BC this year had us realize a profit of close to $50K!!!! That was absolutely amazing as we budgeted for a break even with the economy the way it was. We are so thankful for great sponsors and exhibitors who made this show such a great success!! The delegates extended their thanks to the show commission who made this profit possible through their management. The commission in turn thanked Karen Caughell who works so hard getting sponsors. We are so fortunate to have some really loyal patrons who never let us down and exhibitors who want to compete no matter what.

The show is going back to Red Deer for 2010. This is with mixed feelings as the Red Deer show lost $18K in 2008. In fairness to our geographically challenging size, we have to move our show but we need the exhibitors to understand that this will come with some sacrifice. We have had to make some tough decisions regarding trophies and top five plaques and number of classes offered in an effort to cut costs as the show is our only real source of income for our region. It costs us at least 25K to run the region annually and that was what the show commission was expected to come up with for a profit every year. As much as Red Deer is somewhat central we can not sustain those kind of losses on an ongoing basis so the show commission has got to figure out where we can cut more costs and still offer a great show and awards that exhibitors are happy to win without increasing costs. It is a delicate balancing act to say the least.

As for the survey, it showed us exactly what you would expect with the questions asked. The people east of the rockies want the show to stay in Red Deer or somewhere in Alberta, but surprisingly alot where willing to try Saskatoon if it meant they would not have to go to BC. And of course likewise the members west of the rockies prefer the show to be in BC. Then there were the people who said they would travel to wherever the regional show was as they want to compete. I think the results will be posted on the website.

There was some discussion regarding future alternate facilities that are currently still in the construction phase. The show commission was asked to look for different options last year and we continue to do so in an effort to offer our membership the best show possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#5 overtime

overtime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Thanks again Marcia! That is what I was looking for, and was why I wanted to attend. It is great that the show made money in BC. The only question I would have to that is what was the number of exhibitors from the region, and how many came from other regions? I just don't like the idea of hosting a show to catter to other regions. I have no problem travelling for regionals, as this is a huge region, I just think it should not be so far from anyone corner of the region. If it needs to be then it should travel more. I want to the show to make money, but not by alienating it members. We do not have many options up here. I know many who did not even show at all this year because of the regional show being so far away. I don't want to see local clubs suffer either. I know it will be a hard decision to make, and lots of thought to go into it. Its a tough one thats for sure! Thanks for the info!

#6 daretodreamfarm

daretodreamfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

I agree with Leslie, I want to show but can't if it is in BC. I did show at Breeders this year but that was it. i already have 2 being prepped for showing next year and possibly a yearling but that is because Regionals is in Red Deer - if it were in BC again, I wouldn't be showing..:( I understand the need for it to be in BC sometimes but I truly hope it doesn't end up being every year or I will have to resort to showing in the States..:(
Amanda
Home of:
FSF Jesse James
*Marwan Al Shaqab x FSF Marquessa

Posted Image
Region 17 Champion 2 Yr Old Colt
Region 17 Champion Stallion ATH
Region 7 Top Five Western Pleasure Junior Horse
Region 1 Top Five Western Pleasure Junior Horse

www.daretodreamfarm.ca

#7 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

There has never been a serious suggestion that the regional show remain in BC for as long as I have served on the show commission. I think we are pretty well all in agreement that it needs to rotate to best serve the membership. The current 1 in BC 2 in Alberta has served us well. By having it in Alberta we have been able to serve a larger group of members, by having it in BC we accommodate the BC members and also turn a profit which is what the region needs to ensure we can meet our budgets.

We did discuss the possibility of hosting the show in Langley in 2010. The reason for that is because of an anomaly that occurs in the calendar and scheduling about every 7 years between the Canadian Nationals and our regional show that makes for a very short turnaround for competitors. I believe it is just 10 days between our regional show and the Royal Red in 2010. Then to add to this problem, we still have to contend with Youth Nationals being so close to our show.

What this means is that we risk losing many BC exhibitors who will not want to put their horses through the stress of two long hauls over the Rockies prior to Can Nats as well as any youth who decide to make the trek to YNats. As I stated earlier, Red Deer had a big loss in 2008, with this scheduling problem we are anticipating a further loss in entries.

If we had gone to Langley, we would have had a date that did not conflict with Youth or Canada although it could have impacted some Class A shows. At Red Deer we have no latitude in dates as they are fully booked and none of the organizations were willing to trade dates with us. So we are stuck with dates that will cause hardship for many exhibitors and this in turn will cause headaches for the show commission trying to break even.

In the end after weighing all the pros and cons the decision was made to return to Red Deer.

BTW one of the best pros for Red Deer is their willingness to assist us with all our needs as we require them. When we asked for a dirt pad to be made in front of the entry gate, they did it right away. We call to have arenas worked or watered at an unscheduled time and they attend to it as quick as possible. We need ice for Jackie's pool, they give me free entry to their ice machine...;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#8 destiny

destiny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

Just one question. The 50K profit this year...did it include the funds from the stallion service auction?
Buffy MacLeod
http://www.destinyfarm.com

Equine Photographer

Arabians, Half-Arabians, ASB & Homozygous tobianos

Home of Dream Synsation(EF Kingston x Magic Dream daughter(Khemosabi daughter))
Mares include daughters of Bey Shah+, Petrus Carol, *JJ La Estrella, Desperado V, NV Beau Bey, Triple A Basktyn++, DWD Tabasco.

#9 Marcia Friesen

Marcia Friesen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

Just one question. The 50K profit this year...did it include the funds from the stallion service auction?

Nope that is an entirely separate entity. None of that auction money goes toward the show. It was the increase in horse entries and great patrons/sponsors as well as the elimination/decrease in some expenses that are responsible for the profit.

For interest sake: in 2008 in Red Deer entries were @$161K, in 2009 in Langley they were @$214K.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright 2008