Photo

What Crabbet/CMK line do you like?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
137 replies to this topic

#1 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

What Crabbet/CMK line do you like? Let's make this fun and educational, with lots of photos.

*Serafix, (Raktha x Serafina) sire of 129 champions and 41 National winners.
serafix5vi_vi.jpg Serafix4vi_vi.jpg

*Serafix was an imported Arabian Stallion from the Crabbet Stud of England and hailed from an impressive pedigree. His sire was Raktha, a British Champion in 1948 and sire of numerous champions and National winner producers. *Serafix's dam was *Serafina, a highly regarded mare of the Crabbet Stud farm of the post-World War II era.

*Serafix was bought by John Rogers and brought to Walnut Creek, California, in 1954. The young stallion, homesick for his groom in England, went off feed. Mr. Rogers resorted to nearly living in the stallion's stall. Rogers would feed, groom and feed *Serafix and sleep in his stall between work hours and family commitments to gain his trust. Time would bond the two together. From this effort, *Serafix and Mr. Rogers would develop a lifetime friendship. When Mr. Rogers had to be away on business for weeks at a time, *Serafix would greet him with nickers of joy upon his return.

*Serafix was shown in 1954 at the Cow Palace and at Pomona, California, winning Reserve Champion at both shows. In 1955, shown by Bob Smith of the Kellogg breeding farm, *Serafix earned Grand Champion and Champion Stallion at Pomona. In 1957 and 1958 *Serafix was only shown once each year and was pinned Champion Stallion each time. He was never shown again. *Serafix became best known through his progeny. Mr. Rogers bred and showed most of his own horses and he states that his biggest and best year of *Serafix’s career was in 1962. That was the year four of *Serafix’s mares and one of his sons each won a Top Ten Ribbon. These winnings comprised 1/4th of the 20 Top Ten ribbons of the Estes Park Show. Of those winnings, there were: Chloette—National Champion Mare; Fixette—Reserve National Champion Mare; Silver Dawn and Starfire were Top Ten Mares; and Royal Magic was a Top Ten Stallion. Later on, Starfire was lost to hepatitis, but Silver Dawn went on to be twice Reserve Champion Mare, then National Champion Mare. There were other mares such as, El Malika, SX Genii’s Pride, and Gioia that also showed well. John Rogers may be the only person who still holds the longest winning record of horses shown at the National level. He states, “One statistic I kept in mind always, from the first National classes held in 1958 through the Nationals in 1974, was this: a horse of my breeding or ownership, (most of whom were by *Serafix) placed in the Top Ten ribbons at halter in each year. Only one Top Ten mare in 1975, Overlook Seratifa, was not owned by Mr. Rogers, but was of the Overlook Arabians of Nevada." (The Arabian Horse, September 1976.)

and his lovely dam Serafina
SerafinaNSeramax.jpg
Northwind Arabians
Standing;
Ballience V (Allience+// x Balquenette V) Res Canadian Nat. Ch. Park and Res. Nat. Ch. Eng. Pleasure Jr Horse..

Owned by, Northwind Arabians

El Shuja Wahid (Norus x Naftula by Moniet El Sharaf) Straight Egyptian.

The Elixir (HI-Fashion Mreekh x Jaliya), Straight Egyptian. Canadian Nationals, and Scottsdale, Top 10 Stallion.
Owned by, Watson Arabians.

or visit our photo site of all our horses

#2 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

I have always loved the *Raseyn lines and Alla Amarward, Antezeyn Skowronek, Gulastra, those old guys. *Electric Storm was stunning, as was *Silver Vanity. Cannot discount *Serafix, of course. Antez....so many...I will think of more, having severe need of more caffeine right now!

Cyclone
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#3 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

I really haven't seen one I didn't like , so I have no real favorite . I own an Abu Farwa grandson so I like those . Three of my mares carry lines to Raffles , so I like those . I really like the old style curvy horses with really pretty faces .

My gelding is out of the mare Joya she was by Abu Farwa out of Ferdith by Ferseyn .

Posted Image

#4 Morability Ranch

Morability Ranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

I like all Crabbet / CMK lines but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Raffles.
Kym Cooper
My Facebook My link

#5 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

Abu Farwa 1960 (Rabiyas x *Rissletta by Naseem)

AbuFarwa_vi.jpg abufarwa2.jpg

ABU FARWA, foaled at Pomona, California in 1940, was bred by the W.K.Kellogg institute and has become one of the sires in CMK breeding (and he exemplifies the origin of CMK as a concept: bred at Kellogg's from a Crabbet-imported mare, while his sire had come to Pomona en utero from Maynesboro). ABU FARWA found his niche in life as a sire for H.H.Reese, the former Kellogg Ranch manager around whom crystallized the Southern California Arabian breeding tradition of the 1940's and 1950's. ABU FARWA sired 235 registered foals and became a major force in show and performance breeding; he was selected a Living Legend and his influence still is highly prized where real using horses are valued.
Northwind Arabians
Standing;
Ballience V (Allience+// x Balquenette V) Res Canadian Nat. Ch. Park and Res. Nat. Ch. Eng. Pleasure Jr Horse..

The Elixir (HI-Fashion Mreekh x Jaliya), Straight Egyptian. Canadian Nationals, and Scottsdale, Top 10 Stallion.

#6 Tamcam

Tamcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Abu Farwa 1960 (Rabiyas x *Rissletta by Naseem)

AbuFarwa_vi.jpg abufarwa2.jpg

ABU FARWA, foaled at Pomona, California in 1940, was bred by the W.K.Kellogg institute and has become one of the sires in CMK breeding (and he exemplifies the origin of CMK as a concept: bred at Kellogg's from a Crabbet-imported mare, while his sire had come to Pomona en utero from Maynesboro). ABU FARWA found his niche in life as a sire for H.H.Reese, the former Kellogg Ranch manager around whom crystallized the Southern California Arabian breeding tradition of the 1940's and 1950's. ABU FARWA sired 235 registered foals and became a major force in show and performance breeding; he was selected a Living Legend and his influence still is highly prized where real using horses are valued.

Great photos here! I don't think I've ever seen Abu Farwa (thanks for posting), funny I was thinking he had a lot more white on him. It seems a lot of Sabino's carry many crosses to Abu Farwa. In my limited exposure to Arabians, Abu Farwa Arabians have always caught my eye. Also, have always liked the *Serafix Aulrab & Raffon horses. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#7 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:54 AM

FERSEYN is by *RASEYN (Sire of 11 Class A champions and 1 National winner) and out of the champion producing mare *FERDA, who became famous as the dam of producing FERSEYN.

FerseynPosedTallent.jpg

And his sire *RASEYN
RaseynFHead.jpg
Northwind Arabians
Standing;

#8 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

SKOWRONEK (Ibrahim x Jaskolka) foaled in 1908. Bred by Antoniny Stud, Poland
skowronek1.jpg skowronek2.jpg

Skowronek was more than a prodigy as a sire. He was, fortunately, an individual of truly outstanding merit, quality, and type. He strongly fixed a beautiful, classic type in the gene pool of the breed.
Circumstances of the early part of this celebrated stallion's life were not planned or conducive to later greatness; it was mere chance that put Skowronek in the right place at the right time, thus enabling him to gain his justified and deserved place in the sun and in the annals of the Arabian breed's history.
There is some discrepancy about the foaling date of Skowronek. The Polish and English Arabian stud books show the year 1909, but the General Stud Book of England and the original Potocki pedigree list 1908, the date I use for his birth.
Thus, Skowronek was foaled in 1908 - or 1909 - at Count Jozef Potocki's important Antoniny Stud in Poland. There neither he nor his two fullbrothers seem to have been recognized as extraordinary; both of Skowronek's full-brothers were sold in 1914 to the Cossacs of the Caucasus mountain area of southeastern Europe.
Skowronek was taken to England in 1913, at age 5, by Walter Winans, an American who was a Hackney exhibitor, game hunter, and artist. Mr. Winans had originally gone to Poland to hunt game at Count Potocki's private animal park, Pilawin, located north of Antoniny. While with the Potockis he tried to buy a team of half-Arabian driving horses. When that proved impossible he bought Skowronek instead, at the suggestion of Count Roman Potocki. The price was 150 pounds. Later, at Crabbet, Skowronek's stud fee was 120 pounds - nearly the amount of his original price. Mr. Winans used Skowronek as a hack and as a model for his bronzes.
In 1914, when Skowronek was 6, he was sold to Mr. Webb-Ware who also used him as a hack. In 1919, at age 11, Skowronek became the property of H.V. Musgrave Clark and was used at stud for the first time. Mr. Clark also entered Skowronek in Arabian classes in some shows; in this way he came to the attention of some other English Arabian breeders, including Lady Wentworth of Crabbet Stud.
In 1920, when Skowronek was 12, Lady Wentworth acquired Skowronek and he eventually became almost legendarily famous. Mr. Clark always felt that Lady Wentworth purchased Skowronek by ruse. He seems to have sold the horse - whose potential he, himself, obviously failed to recognize - to an American agent for export, but the export order was canceled and Clark found Lady Wentworth the owner of Skowronek. Lady Wentworth must be given full credit for recognizing the touch of greatness in Skowronek and for providing him with his opportunity to prove himself. Up to 1920, when she acquired him, nobody in his life had fully perceived his worth to the Arabian breed. As for her manner of buying Skowronek - Lady Wentworth may have felt it was her only way to get the horse for, if Clark had known of her desire to own him, he may have taken a closer look at the horse for himself or may perhaps even have not wanted to let his rival Arabian breeder own Skowronek. In any case, Lady Wentworth's purchase of Skowronek was a point of a bit contention forever after between the two parties.
Lady Wentworth later reputedly refused an offer of the equivalent of $250,000 for Skowronek from the Russian government. If true, this figure represented a lot more money in Skowronek's lifetime than it does now.
Northwind Arabians
Standing;

#9 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Oh, for GOODNESS sakes! I cannot believe of all the horses to forget, I forgot Abu Farwa, my very very favorite CMK guy! LOVE that horse, what structure, eyes, hooves, legs! ZOWIE! Love what Peter Mileo has done w/his lines, too! Great program, that! Abu rocks! Back in my teens, when I lived in Knoxville, TN. one of the very first two Arabian stallions I ever saw were both CMK. One was Dark Storm, an *Electric Storm son, and one was (I think) either *Serafix or Abu Farwa bred. Brilliant red chestnut w/high white on legs, wide blaze, mane almost to his knees. Incredible animals, both of them!

Cyclone

edited to add, DOI, *SILVER DRIFT, talk about working western, using conformation!! Kind, gentle dispositions, big eyes, great bone, hooves, too. BIG BUTTS! lol....Synbad was part Egyptian, I know, but his CMK lines were impressive, as well. And have been a HUGE fan of the Cedardell Program all of my life. They are ww personified, IMO, and have been for over 40 yrs.! STILL winning today and at all the BIG BIG shows, too!

CY
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#10 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

RAKTHA, (Naseem X Razina) sire of halter champion *SERAFIX (sire of 129 champions and 41 National winners), English pleasure champion *SILVER DRIFT (sire of 18 National winners), U.S. Top Ten Mare *SERAFIRE (dam of U.S. National Champion Mare INDIAN GENII), and British National Champion Stallion INDIAN MAGIC (a sire of National Champions in Britain and America).
RakthaAV13_6.jpg

And his dam, Razina
RazinaAV13_6.jpg
Northwind Arabians
Standing;