Photo

Who is the all time Leading Spanish Sire?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

As many here know, I've maintained records independently of IAHA and later AHA since the 1960s when I first fell in love with the breed. I have all the US published Arabian magazines back to the first issue of Arabian Horse News in 1948, and they printed results of many shows in the early days, not just regionals, Scottsdale and Nationals as are done now. I also have the IAHA Yearbooks (which ceased publication in 1983), which contained results for all shows held in the years 1953-1983. So my records predate a lot of what is found on Datasource (which only goes back to 1986, and which misses many of the early champions for all of the above mentioned stallions). I am mentioning all this because I want people to realize how extensive my database is and that it has information from before AHA's records start on Datasource.

So-here are the statistics (through the end of the 2011 show season, this year may change some numbers)

*Barich De Washoe-469 registered get (highest number of get)
92 champions (ranks third on champion total)
28 National winners (ranks second on National winner total)
40 producers of National winners (ranks first on number of National winner producing
offspring)

*AN Malik - 430 get (ranks third in number of get)
112 champions (ranks second in number of champions)
33 National winners (ranks first in number of National winners sired)
17 producers of National winners (ranks third in this category)

*GG Samir - 443 get (ranks second in number of get)
124 champions (ranks first in number of champions)
24 National winners (ranks third in number of National winners)
29 producers of National winners (ranks second in this category)

So, *AN Malik is the leading sire of National winners, *GG Samir the leading sire of champions, and *Barich has the highest number of get who have produced National winners.

On percentages, *AN Malik has the highest percentage of champions from his registered get (26%) with *GG Samir the runner up with 25% and *Barich De Washoe has 17%.

Hope this information is useful and I welcome discussion.

Please, if you re-use my statistics, give me credit for them though! Many people don't realize that this sort of information is copyrighted intellectual property and credit must be given (for those of you who already know this, I apologize for mentioning it<grin>). I want to share my information here as and when I can, to help everyone who loves Spanish horses learn more.
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#2 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

I LOVE the Spanish lines and these guys are amongst my very, very favorites within those lines! THANKS for sharing this info, Arlene!

Cyclone
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#3 aramar

aramar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Good job, Arlene! Are you going to add to your pesent count? There's still some showing out there. Glory of Joy was just at Youth.

#4 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (aramar @ Aug 19 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good job, Arlene! Are you going to add to your pesent count? There's still some showing out there. Glory of Joy was just at Youth.

Of course I am K<grin>, but Glory of Joy is already counted in the total number of National winners for *GG Samir as that horse has a number of prior National wins.

I mentioned 2008 for the stats because I don't do a final total till the end of the show year, after US Nationals...

I have many champion lists on the important sires of the breed that I maintain annually. Some, like Gdansk for instance, do not have any get competing now, but they do have new get who are National winner producers annually and I keep track of that as well.
</p>

#5 renea

renea

New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Forgive me for my NON Knowledge but what about Sasaki? Was he Pure Spanish?

#6 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

Forgive me for my NON Knowledge but what about Sasaki? Was he Pure Spanish?

*Sasaki is a wonderful horse but he has only 4 direct get with National titles and far fewer champions than *Barich, *GG Samir, and *AN Malik.

I originally posted this thread because I see the three stallions above mentioned on various websites as the all time leading Spanish sire and I wanted to clear up any misunderstandings as to which stallion did what.

Hope that helps. Sorry *Sasaki isn't in the same leagueas a sire of winners himself, though his influence on the breed through his grandson Magnum Psyche is enormous.
</p>

#7 Blackcat

Blackcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

*Barich, *GG Samir, and *AN Malik

Great horses and a testament to their owners foresight. Was working in Spokane and went and saw Barich when they got him. At that time Bruce was showing Comar Bay Beau who was a very beautiful stallion and winning championships wherever he was shown. Barich was an extremely big and powerful horse with great substance and I thought who is going to breed to this horse. They're belief and vision paid great dividends for them and the horse.

Patrick G. Gregory

#8 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

*Barich, *GG Samir, and *AN Malik

Great horses and a testament to their owners foresight. Was working in Spokane and went and saw Barich when they got him. At that time Bruce was showing Comar Bay Beau who was a very beautiful stallion and winning championships wherever he was shown. Barich was an extremely big and powerful horse with great substance and I thought who is going to breed to this horse. They're belief and vision paid great dividends for them and the horse.

Absolutely right, Patrick. *Sasaki has had a lot of mention as the grandsire of Magnum Psyche, but those three stallions have influenced the breed enormously-I have been working on pedigrees of the 2009 National winners today and all of them appear multiple times in horses who won in everything from halter to working cow horse to hunter over fences...*Barich in particular is found in many modern performance pedigrees. I hope doing my newsletter will help educate some of the newer people about the great horses a few generations back in pedigrees..just because they aren't highly publicized does not make them insignificant!
</p>

#9 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

Curious as to the number of offspring of Sasaki.

Do you think he was under ultilized?

DW Paradas Gem & Sammy too

Together forever & forever in my heart.

Mi Reagal Dream, RVA Dream Deelite and TLF Adamas

#10 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

Curious as to the number of offspring of Sasaki.

Do you think he was under ultilized?

*Sasaki was always owned by small breeders and was therefore not promoted as heavily as the other three stallions, all of which belonged to major breeding farms and were heavily advertised. According to Datasource, *Sasaki has just 118 lifetime total get, including 4 born in 2008.

I do think the location of a stallion can determine his influence on the breed. The greater the opportunity to breed mares, the greater the potential influence. What makes *Barich, *AN Malik and *GG Samir amazing is that they bred in the years prior to semen shipment for the most part...mares were live covered. The gene pool is ever narrowing now that one can breed with transported semen or even frozen semen.
</p>