Photo

The Canter....and Bell Boots!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Archie

Archie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I have been working my now five year old for a year now, and I really think he has a great canter. He just has great action and cadence at the canter and it is so fun to ride with great equitation! At the trot i still sometimes battle him rushing the bridle so he slightly inconsistant. It seems that all of the focus is on the trot in the show ring... so i am interested in seeing how a horse will do that can "out canter" the other ones. Any thoughts or comments would be interesting and appreciated.

Bell boots. When my horse becomes lazy he will smack the back of his front feet with his hind from time to time. I have put on several types of bell boots and they all leave him raw around the ankle when he's done....what is the remedy for this? I thought of trying to cut the boots so they are shorter for less rubbing on the ground...but i hear the shoe hitting the shoe...anyway any advice appreciated!

#2 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Look for bell boots that have sheepskin at the top. Also, have you had your farrier square the toes on his hinds?

#3 spike25

spike25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

Is he actually stepping on himself and cutting his heels or just making the noise as his hind hits the front shoe? That is called forging and bell boots won't help or change that. His hindquarters may be travelling quicker than his front causing the forging and you need to get his rhythm slowed a bit as well as talk to your farrier about it.
Beth Thomas
Stone Hollow Sport Horses
Home of National, Regional and Class A Working hunters and sport horses!

#4 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (dragon @ Apr 30 2009, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look for bell boots that have sheepsking at the top. Also, have you had your farrier square the toes on his hinds?

Since our horse is out in the field playing all day every day we have our farrier square the hinds and we go thru a lot less front shoes that way!

#5 larapintavian

larapintavian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

We recently attended our first AHA show in years ... over 10. Took our current Eventing purebred gelding and a Quarab gelding. Both did exceptionally well in SHUS (3 frists & 1 second, Open and ATR) and SHSH. One of the reasons these guys did so well, I think, was the quality of their canters which the judge recognized and rewarded.

There recenty was a lengthy discussion of Arab canter quality ... or rather, the loss of it .... on the new Egyptian Breeders forum, under it's own title, as well as another canter discussion on the old SE forum under the discussion on stallion testing under saddle.
Sharon
Larapinta Sport Horses
Emphasis on Arab Eventers
http://www.larapintasporthorses.com

#6 Graustarkian

Graustarkian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have also had great luck with squaring the toe on the hind hooves. Sad to hear about the deterioration of the canter - I breed specifically for it.
Kelly Brown

...flying, singing, writing, wierdo

#7 Archie

Archie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

once in a while he does clip himself but some times i think it is shoe hitting shoe...the farrier was thinking about trailers on the back shoes...i will suggest the square toes. thanks.

#8 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

What's his reason for trailers? Do you have someone who can walk/trot the horse away from you so you can watch how his feet move/where he places them?

#9 dreambig

dreambig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Archie @ Apr 30 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I have been working my now five year old for a year now, and I really think he has a great canter. He just has great action and cadence at the canter and it is so fun to ride with great equitation! At the trot i still sometimes battle him rushing the bridle so he slightly inconsistant. It seems that all of the focus is on the trot in the show ring... so i am interested in seeing how a horse will do that can "out canter" the other ones. Any thoughts or comments would be interesting and appreciated.

A horse that has a great canter would be perfect for Arabian Native Costume. Costume is all about (75%)having a horse with a big canter and hand gallop (they do walk and back also). The remaining 25% is the costume.

My treasures do not clink together or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.
-Bedouin proverb

#10 Archie

Archie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (dragon @ May 1 2009, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's his reason for trailers? Do you have someone who can walk/trot the horse away from you so you can watch how his feet move/where he places them?

they thought that the trailers might slow his hind end just enough so he doesnt hit his front.