Photo

Billy Silver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nitter_Pitter

Nitter_Pitter

Here's your sign!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm entertaining the idea of pulling my big gelding out of retirment and maybe going back to ponying at the track... I came across this video and I thought it was interesting....There's at least 1 pic in the video that shows Billy Silver in gait. He looks like he was a fun horse to ride.

Everyone remembers the great Secretariat, but few remember his pony horse known as Billy Silver. Billy Silver had obvious Appaloosa markings and turns up in many of the old pictures of Secretariat. While he was called Billy Silver, if he was registered with the Appaloosa Horse club, that was not his registered name. There is a Billy Silver registered with the ApHC, but that Billy Silver was born in 1971 and would have been too young to have already been working as a pony horse on the tracks.

It's too bad Joker will be too old to pony any of Romeo's foals if they maek it to the track. He loves his job. smile.gif

"All the little horses lived in the herd, save for one, a perfect little stallion called Nitter Pitter." Taken from Nitter Pitter by Stephen Cosgrove

Proud Memeber United Horsemen

#2 Graustarkian

Graustarkian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for sharing - I ended up watching waaaaaaaaay too many Secretariat race videos rolleyes.gif He's my all time fave.
Kelly Brown

...flying, singing, writing, wierdo

#3 English Channel

English Channel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Poor Billy Silver was ignored most of the time by Secretariat, haha. I did see a tape of Secretariat running in his paddock at racing speed. It was amazing to watch.

#4 chalice

chalice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for that video!! I'm still a big fan of Secretariat. And I was glad to see Riva Ridge, who was fantastic in his own right.