Photo

Appaloosa filly born at 4:00pm 3/25/09-3/27/09 R.I.P

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#101 bitrider

bitrider

Rocking Female

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Leon she is soooo pretty!!! th_atrot.gif
bitrider

#102 leon

leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Stanislav @ Apr 10 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is she bred to?

My araloosa stallion Basks Bright Playboy, her younger half brother.

#103 S&D Sport Horse

S&D Sport Horse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

but do so as to not start a war with me as I will not back down from anyone on ABN or anywhere else.
[/quote]
good for you Leon,
we have a mare that was fat as could be before foaling, then afterwards skin and bones, no matter how much feed, alfalfa cubes, hay and corn oil she got,

I have seen some very nice, athletic arab/appy crosses at SHN and distance rides. Glad that some people have appy's that aren't just QH's with spots!!
Home of:
Bandos Las Ladd (*Bandos PASB x B Lovely ~ *Aladddinn) 1988 Grey Stallion
Alken (Ganges x Alkina) 2005 Black Bay Colt
Aabsolutely Five Star (Aabsolut x FS Evita ~ RD Five Star) 2007 Chestnut Colt

and their women (to name a few):
Willatra MSC (Traditio x Willa)
CR Milliegramm+ (Monogramm x CR Wind Moriah ~ Muslin & Sotep)
Wojllatra (Wojslaw x Willatra MSC)
FS Evita (RD Five Star x Patraska)
Wronica Lech (Lech PASB x *Wrona ~ Namiet)
Naproshka (*Procent x Nikiska ~ Nasmeshnik)
Miss Independence SF (RD Five Star x Carillon CC ~ Moment & Muscat)

www.sdsporthorse.com

#104 leon

leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

good for you Leon,
we have a mare that was fat as could be before foaling, then afterwards skin and bones, no matter how much feed, alfalfa cubes, hay and corn oil she got,

I have seen some very nice, athletic arab/appy crosses at SHN and distance rides. Glad that some people have appy's that aren't just QH's with spots!!
[/quote]
Thank you, Serenity has always been a eazy keeper, until a week before she foaled, she is back to her old self now. I like my appys to have as much arabian as I can get and still have their appy spots, one would have to look way back in my stallions pedigree to find a QH laugh.gif

#105 Arabian Place

Arabian Place

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (bitrider @ Apr 10 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leon please donít get mad at me!! But I am so heart broken over your loss that I had a little suggestion. It sounds like you only have one foal left to be born and it would be so wonderful to see a happy ending for you this spring. One thought would be to put the last mare in foal in her own pen. That way if there was an issue maybe this will solve it. All of us can then watch all your wonderful spring and summer photos of your foal growing up. It is just something to think about and Iím sure you already did. rolleyes.gif
bitrider

P.S. That little foal you lost is such a sweetie!

QUOTE (leon @ Apr 10 2009, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, and no I won't get mad at anyone right now. Serenity was in her stall the night she stepped on Rhapsody, I always put the new borns up for the night. I do have one mare of mine due soon, and she is the last foal I had born from a mare of mine six years ago, her foal
will be the first from one of my mares in six long years.

Leon, So sorry for your loss.
I think that Bitrider has a good point. We always have our babies seperate from the other horses when they are born. It is so easy for them to be injured in a mixed herd situation no matter how sweet that you think your other horses are. I am not there and so I can not be certain. But, is more likely that your precious filly was hurt out with the others than in with her dam. Her injury may have just taken time to show. Not a judgement from me Leon. Just putting in my two cents from 30+ years of foaling experience. The little ones are so fragile it is just not worth taking a chance. I want you to know that I have followed the story of your beautiful filly from the time that you announced her birth. I fell in love with her and was sooooo heart broken with her passing. I am wishing you and your horses all the best in the future.
Shannon

Click here for more ->>>

VA Aur Bey (Bey Shah x Aur Belle by Aurab) ~~Sweepstakes Nominated~~
Velvet Legacy (MHR Rebellion by *Elimar x Sheer Brillance by MS Santana) Pure Polish
Velvet Carnival (Bandos Las Ladd by *Bandos x Fantaci by *Enoss) Pure Polish - FOR SALE
Thee Orisis (Thee Desperado x Najiba El Nefous (AK Najib Pasha by AK Shah Moniet x TheEgyptianPrince Dtr.) Straight Egyptian
Posted Image

#106 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

I've been foaling mares out on pasture for over twenty years and have not ever had one stepped on and injured.
The only foal I know of personally that was stepped on by her dam and had to be put down was born in a big foaling stall. The filly's dam stepped on her twice, the first time making her lame and the second time breaking her leg.

There's no 100% foolproof way to protect a foal from damage, either from its pasture mates or from its own dam. Tragedy can strike no matter how careful you try to be.

I pray that Leon's run of bad luck is over and that his next foal is born safe and sound and stays that way through a ripe old age!

Mary

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#107 leon

leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hind sight is always 20/20, if there was anything to be done for Rhasody to keep her dam from stepping on her we would have done so.
And it was Serenity that did step on her and not another member of our herd, I know this for a fact. Things such as this happen with new
mothers, my other mare that is due soon loves foals even though she has never had one before. Serenity did not know enough about hers
to know that she would lay down near her and not to step on her.

#108 Mason Arabians

Mason Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

one of my mare just is not a good mom-she let him nurse but he was kinda on his own -she was there but not really-she never hurt him but she did not nuzzle him either-- one of my other mare's is a great mom just excellent very loving-careful where she puts her feet and body-but still accidents happen-i pray all goes well for this next foal-and that its a filly-!

#109 Biscuit

Biscuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Leon, I'll be waiting along with everyone else for the arrival of your next foal. I pray that all goes well.

Your horses are absolutely beautiful!

Lynn
Lynn Coleman

Proud Mama of:
Rare Essence RIP sweet girl - Feb 22, 1983-Dec 10, 2010
Calli Bey
Tunders Royalty RIP my gentleman - May 18, 1986-Nov 13, 2010
Biscuit
Bint Garzaa
Koko Tchanel
Katz Lunar Eclipse

Posted Image