Photo

How many of you breeders concentrate on Raffles bloodlines?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 Mason Arabians

Mason Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

Lacinda--i love your boy also-he is very very handsome---i also love these old lines-so glad they are still important to some of us to breed on--!!!!!!!!!

#22 NIECE

NIECE

Golden Oak Arabians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

I have a old gelding that's female tail line is 88% Raffles blood. My gelding is 14'3" out of a mare that was 14 hands on a good day. I LOVE the old Raffles lines. Especially if it close up, which is hard to find anymore. I would have no problem using a Raffle bred horse of any size. They are well put together and have lots of substance, which is way more important to me than height. My gelding has one of the biggest strides on a horse I have ever ridden and very powerful rearend. He is the most honest horses I have ever had. Would love another just like him.

Denise

Visit our website

Aurelius GOA (Magic Aulrab X Proberry Bey) 2011 sabino chestnut colt Sold

#23 Nasarka

Nasarka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

The horse in my avatar I counted 43 crosses to Skowronek. Since Raffles is a double S son, I use S as my 'base'.
Katie in Ky.

Pretty is as pretty does - beauty with utility

Save lives, spay and nueter, adopt a stray.

#24 Delightful

Delightful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

My gelding was heavily breed with Raffles. I absolutely loved his look. He was 14.3 but boy was he built. His butt and chest width looked like that of small quarter horse. I recieved so many compliments on his build throughout his life including many positive comments from non-Arab Dressage trainers. I completely agree with the comments regarding the build of the horse being worth more than the height. Height means nothing if they do not have the boning to complete the look.
Heather
Moonlit Ridge Arabians
Proud mom of

Magic Delight AD (*Magic Domino AHS+++// x Delights Joi AD) - 2007 purebred filly
2009 SHN Top Ten PB Sport Horse In Hand Jackpot Fillies

HA Lehazon (Garnizon x Shoaleh) - 1997 purebred mare

Co- mom of WR Princessa (Sir Fames HBV x Lillian) - 2009 purebred filly

In loving memory of Rio Risadda "Clyde" (Rio Lobo x Cheri Risadda) - 1988 purebred gelding

A successful life is not measured by what is accomplished, but by what is overcome to accomplish it.

#25 SunStar

SunStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

I am the administrator for the Phara Heritage Society, dedicated to breeding on the wonderful horses that Annette Weber has produced. Her program is centered around Lewisfield Sun God, a son of two Ben Hur bred horses the full brother/sister pair Aaraf and Aarafa (*Raffles x Aarah). So all of these horses are pretty heavily *Raffles bred and anyone who owns one doesn't usually let them go!

Aaraf3.jpg
Aaraf

Aarafa2.jpg
Aarafa

LewisfieldSunGod18.jpg
Lewisfield Sun God

GoldenPharao79AHWad.jpg
Golden Pharao
SunStar Arabians

Home of: Wings of Gold (Burgundy Sun x BGM Sabrina) - 100% Phara Heritage Stallion - Shizanas Legacy K (The Midnight Sun x Shizana Bolsoya) - 50% Phara Heritage Mare

#26 Silverdust Arabians

Silverdust Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Hi Angela! smile.gif

Here's my Phara bred stallion, Pharao: 68 crosses to Skowronek, 32 of those through Raffles! (The other 4 are through Raseyn). I love this guy, he's a total ham, Mr. Personality as Shannon (previous owner) used to call him, definitely fits the bill! He is ALWAYS at the gate to meet you with a big whinny and a bounce to and fro until you get to the gate, then immediately nuzzling up to you as gentle as can be--he has an absolutely golden disposition! Just this morning infact, I was awakend by the dogs barking--I went to the window, and what do I see? An Ambulance had pulled to the side of the road, and one of the EMTs was at the fence with Pharao romancing him! He was petting him very gently, and Pharao was standing there ever so quiet and sweet, just eating it up! (I don't normally have the horses at the perimeter fence for just this reason--passersby sticking their hands through, but they've been on the grass up there for a few days and I was lazy and didn't bring them back up for the night). Anwyay, he is still young (5) and still maturing, he is about 14.3, and very compactly built, though he has very nice muscling and is filling out a bit as he ages--I just recently saw a video of his dam and she is a beefcake, so I expect him to get "bigger", if no taller!

I have been keeping my eye out for the perfect future wife for him, since the deals are plentiful these days. I have noticed that I always seem to come back to horses with heavy Raffles blood, they just seem so much more consistent in the traits I like, and consistent in their own type/look (you can often tell they are Raffles bred), than some of the other lines I do like, but have noticed a lot of variation in. Another of my favorites (and also very consistent) is Gulastra--I believe Pharao would cross really well with these horses, and plan in the future to acquire an Abu Farwa bred mare. We have a mare now who is by a Gulastra grandson, and had considered breeding her to Pharao, but she is pretty short (maybe 14h if she's lucky), and I have reservations about doing so because of salability/marketability...

I am glad to hear a positive note on crossing Raffles with Russian and Polish--I have bred him to my MHR Muscateal (Muscat x MHR Princess Bask) daughter, who is basically a Heinz 57 of Polish, Russian, Crabbet and CMK. I believe they will cross exceptionally well, and am extremely excited for the foal next year! Should be a working western superstar!

Anyway, here's a couple pictures of Pharao (forgive the growing out bridle path, and the poor crop job on the full body shot--that shot of him (though not the background) was so pretty and I went and cut it off when I snapped it!)...
Pharao_sunset.jpg
Pharao_body_006.JPG

Oh, and how could I not mention my other guy, 50% Phara bred Half-Arab. Rush is the most laid back, docile horse I have ever encountered--the vet just loves him because he practically falls asleep while being worked on--infact, he had an abscess a few weeks ago, and the vet blocked his foot to work on it--he tested it with a pen to see if he'd respond, then says "Well, is he likely to respond to that anyway?" And I said, well, of course--he's not DEAD!" Rush is the reason I fell in love with the Phara horses--I was told his dam (Rose of Phara, 100% Phara) was a major sweetheart, the best babysitter with little kids. She had, I think, 11 crosses to Raffles. Even only being 50% Arab, he still has that Phara look, though, I think it stopped at his head as he did not end up with a nice jibbah or much of a dish at all, oh well, can't have it all I guess! I still think he's awesome, and is very athletic--we plan to show him in reining next year, I can't wait!
Rush_h22.jpg

Rochelle

The Kids:
"Niki" DD Silver Nacomic (RF Kariim x DNA Silver Nugget)
"Noah" Kolognes Mr TNT (Kologne Witez BA x RF Sur Fire)
"Dinah" Muscelusive (MHR Muscateal x JF Elusive)
"Louie" SDR Muscadore (The Golden Sun x Muscelusive)

#27 SunStar

SunStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

I think Rush is GORGEOUS! I just love the buckskins and wish they came in purebred Arabians too :)

How is Pharao doing and what breeding plans do you have for him this year??
SunStar Arabians

Home of: Wings of Gold (Burgundy Sun x BGM Sabrina) - 100% Phara Heritage Stallion - Shizanas Legacy K (The Midnight Sun x Shizana Bolsoya) - 50% Phara Heritage Mare

#28 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

More photos of my moderate to heavy Raffles lines horses:

AAA Legend ofthe Seas 2002 stallion
Posted Image

FCF Enchanted Flame 2009 colt
Posted Image

FCF Gossamer Prince 2006 gelding
Posted Image

FCF PrincessButtercup 2008 filly
Posted Image

FCF Westleys TrueLove 2008 filly
Posted Image

FCF As You Wish 2008 filly
Posted Image

FCF Faerie Fire 2007 filly
Posted Image
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#29 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

Not mine at all, but a friend owned Rim-Sin who I always admired

Posted Image
Half-Arab by Rim-Sin. Rim-Sin carried 6 lines (closely) to *Raffles

Rim-Sin also had several other offspring that were jumpers, including several purebreds. It was a long process to find some of them, but they had been shifted and passed around as "Welsh crosses", even though they were purebred. Quite unfortunate, but it's hard to hold that *Raffles down.

As I recall, another one of his daughters was an excellent endurance mount. They really are quite versatile horses.

Rim-Sin was very short in stature as well. About 13.3hh, but I would have to ask his old owner to verify that, but I do know that he threw height much larger than himself.

Posted Image
Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#30 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Not mine at all, but a friend owned Rim-Sin who I always admired
(snip)
Rim-Sin also had several other offspring that were jumpers, including several purebreds. It was a long process to find some of them, but they had been shifted and passed around as "Welsh crosses", even though they were purebred. Quite unfortunate, but it's hard to hold that *Raffles down.

As I recall, another one of his daughters was an excellent endurance mount. They really are quite versatile horses.

Rim-Sin was very short in stature as well. About 13.3hh, but I would have to ask his old owner to verify that, but I do know that he threw height much larger than himself.
(snip)

Fantastic!

Yep. There's some jumping ability in many Raffles-line horses:
Posted Image
AAA Legend ofthe Seas, recently started over fences, but showing scope, balance, and eagerness. He's 14.0H 1/2", but so far it looks like most of his foals will be taller--some significantly so.

Then there was the part-bred eventing pony, Theodore O'Connor aka "Teddy", whose Arabian great grandsire was JR Lyraff who was intensely linebred to Raffles (Alice Payne breeding)
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook