Photo

How many of you breeders concentrate on Raffles bloodlines?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

So, yesterday I had sent emails out to a bunch of people offering to make Marketing Horse Videos for a lower price for 2009. Today I received a call from a man who is wants to bring me his heavly bred Raffles stallion to me to give him an opinion if he should geld him or not and if not, then possibly make a video. He said he has had some interest from others wanting to breed to him because of his pedigree but when they see his size (13.3hh) they change their mind.

So, I need everyones opinion....without seeing this stallion, what is the probability that one would breed to this heavy bred Raffles stallion even though he is only 13.3 hh?

JRs Gentle Hills Custom Metals **Hand Made Rasp Spurs & Horse Shoe Spurs
www.JRsCustomMetals.com
JRs Gentle Hills Farm **Standing the YOUNGEST *NABORR grandson ALIVE!!!
www.JRsGentleHills.com
Prestige Elite Marketing * Videography - Marketing Videos * Photography * eblasts * etc.
www.PrestigeEliteMarketing.com

#2 silvershadow

silvershadow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (JRS Gentle Hills @ Feb 10 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, yesterday I had sent emails out to a bunch of people offering to make Marketing Horse Videos for a lower price for 2009. Today I received a call from a man who is wants to bring me his heavly bred Raffles stallion to me to give him an opinion if he should geld him or not and if not, then possibly make a video. He said he has had some interest from others wanting to breed to him because of his pedigree but when they see his size (13.3hh) they change their mind.

So, I need everyones opinion....without seeing this stallion, what is the probability that one would breed to this heavy bred Raffles stallion even though he is only 13.3 hh?

I know sport pony breeders are always looking for smaller arabian studs. Also pony clubbers like the smaller arabs too.
Home of Purebreds Horizonne, Zapateros Mysterious Gem, Silver's Legacy and the infamous Ruka
MAF Silver Fire 1981-2010
Goodbye Old Friend & Gallup Hard!
~ All Breeding Stock CA and SCID Clear ~

#3 Mason Arabians

Mason Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

wow do you have any pics and his pedigree---i bred our old stallion to an Al-marah -Count Dorsaz dam line mare she produced a very lovely colt ---our old stallion DH Dallas - Bask X Borrneyna sired by Naborr with a tail female line to double Ferseyn ---i sure would think twice about gelding such a treasure --- that grand ol'e blood does wonders-!

#4 JRS Gentle Hills

JRS Gentle Hills

JRs Gentle Hills Farm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Mason Arabians @ Feb 10 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow do you have any pics and his pedigree---i bred our old stallion to an Al-marah -Count Dorsaz dam line mare she produced a very lovely colt ---our old stallion DH Dallas - Bask X Borrneyna sired by Naborr with a tail female line to double Ferseyn ---i sure would think twice about gelding such a treasure --- that grand ol'e blood does wonders-!

He's going to bring him to my house on Sunday, so I will get pictures and hopefully a copy of his pedigree and post them on here. I am going to let him know about the Sportponies. That is such a great idea! I also wonder if people would utilize that bloodline and size for "cutting", "steer-wrestling" and "roping"? I would think the smaller size is better.

JRs Gentle Hills Custom Metals **Hand Made Rasp Spurs & Horse Shoe Spurs
www.JRsCustomMetals.com
JRs Gentle Hills Farm **Standing the YOUNGEST *NABORR grandson ALIVE!!!
www.JRsGentleHills.com
Prestige Elite Marketing * Videography - Marketing Videos * Photography * eblasts * etc.
www.PrestigeEliteMarketing.com

#5 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

Having a number of horses in my herd with strong Raffles influence --including my 14.0H 1/2 in. tall stallion-- I have found that height of the offspring can be significantly taller than the "short" parent(s)--particularly when utilizing certain other complimentary lines. I also am more concerned about well sprung ribs and a deep heartgirth than about "stick height". I'd rather ride a 14.0H big barreled horse than a 15.3H narrow sausage bodied one, but I know that many folks are hung up on stick height.
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#6 Dahabi Arabians

Dahabi Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

I love the Raffles lines and, if the horse is balanced and correct, don't mind a bit if they are not tall (I actually prefer a smaller horse!).

Shannon Edney

www.PhotographyByShannon.us

www.MarketYourArabian.com

#7 Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,664 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

Raffles horses are AWSOME. My stallion being Gainey on the dam's side has some Raffles and Azraff breeding way back.

I personally would not be concerned about his height if you have some taller mares it shouldnt make a difference. You can get large babies from small stallions and vice versa. Those bloodlines are tried, tested and true - the older lines to be are always the best!!!

I think Dawn's post was very good - a good horse is a good horse no matter what the height!!!
I personally go for the big bodied, short backed, sturdy horses that are smaller than big stretchy ones anyday!
Cassiosum Acres Arabians & Tack
Ask about our monthly sales and specials and check me out on Facebook too
RIP to my heart and soul SUMMETICIAN May 30 1993 - January 6th 2012. Mom loves you always and we will meet again

#8 clhoosier

clhoosier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

My man is only 14 hds. and I love it! Of course I'm short so a small horse is kinda nice!

#9 Lorelei

Lorelei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

I am extremely partial to the *Raffles bred horses and frankly I don't care about size. What I've found though is that most *Raffles bred horses have such good substance that they appear much bigger than they are, and taller/bigger people can ride them without an issue. I've had several people tell me that my 14.2 hand mare must be 15 hands or more.

On the other hand in recent years I haven't really seen any of these lines appearing much at any of the shows. You will see them more in things like endurance.

Just as a side note about the pony market. My first mare Lorelei was only 13.3 and I think her full brother, Lyraff was maybe a bit taller. Lyraff was used for breeding with pony mares. It took a little while but you know he did end up leaving quite a mark. JR Lyraff is the Arabian in the sport pony Theodore O'Connor's bloodline. smile.gif And Lyraff was also heavily *Raffles bred. Depending on what the actual breeding on this stallion is, that might be a good marketing point...
Proudly owned by:
EV Tiara Lynn (Shalimar Jordie x JR Lorelei) 1996 mare
Ahmar Shalish "Shay" (Rih Rabi x Shalimar Alicia) 1998 gelding

#10 twsarabians

twsarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

For me, when it comes to making a breeding decision height is one of the last things I consider. I want good substance and as Dawn said a horse with well-sprung ribs, I want a horse with good feet and legs. One of my biggest down fall on some smaller horses are their feet are tiny in comparision to their small stature. I also want to see in a smaller horse a very well proportioned horse.

I have several heavy Raffles bred mares that are 55-56% Raffles. They are 14.2 and have so much substance it surprises most people and usually get the question "are they half". If I am looking to improve size, I look to my mares to improve that. With that being said my stallions range from 14.1 to 15.1. Mares range from 14.1 to 15.2 hands.

In todays market 'Bigger is Better' for so many people. For me personally I do try to keep height in mind when breeding foals that are to be sold. My ideal size is 14.3 and most our foals are 14.2 - 15 hands.

If looking for a specific bloodline and found it in a stallion that was only 13.3 and had everything I desired and would compliment my mare...I'd breed in a heart beat.

Cindy Bingham
TrestleWood Stable Arabians
The three most precious possessions are a mare, followed by her daughter in foal with a filly. ~ Old Arab Saying