Photo

Tranquility Farms of Dallas, TX.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 ShannonC

ShannonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:15 PM

Can anyone give me information on Tranquility Farms. I have look in the AHW and AHT and can't find anything on them. But I was told that they were a BIG farm and an Bill Strokes was owner???? Can anyone tell me about the farms and Arabians bred there?
Shannon

#2 Billie940

Billie940

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

I think Bill Stokes passed away a few years ago. He used to show a lot in region 9.
Do you know Susan Bowman? She used to be Susan O'Neal, she would know...phone number is still the same as O'neal Arabians in Lancaster,TX.
PM me if you would like more information on contacting her.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

#3 ShannonC

ShannonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Billie940 @ Dec 28 2008, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Bill Stokes passed away a few years ago. He used to show a lot in region 9.
Do you know Susan Bowman? She used to be Susan O'Neal, she would know...phone number is still the same as O'neal Arabians in Lancaster,TX.
PM me if you would like more information on contacting her.

Yes, please email contact info. Thanks
Shannon

#4 mgilnh2o

mgilnh2o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

I used to work for Ross Tarkington, and Bill Stokes's farm was right next door. When I worked there, I believe Bill was in very poor health, and passed away shortly after I left.

The horses he bred were primarily for racing. He had a lot of polish lines, and all of the horses I saw were well put together, athletes. I saw some in training for racing, they had huge strides. Sometimes the youngsters would break down the fence seperating the two farms, and they were easy to catch to return. They were very friendly, great personalities, and curious.

Ross also had a client with two TF horses while I was there...TF Dundee, and another who's name has left me. Both horses had great personalities, good manners, and were total athletes. Dundee was a big, rangy looking horse, easily in the 16 hand range and very TB looking in apperance. I thought he would have made a great over fences horse because of his huge canter stride. The nameless one was still intact, and was more muscled and compact in build. The stallion was shown hp by ross, just enjoyed by his owner, and I don't recall Dundee ever showing. The owner purchased both as stallions, but gelded Dundee due to something genetic he tested positive for...SCIDS maybe? I don't remember exactly, but it was her reason for gelding him.

I really liked all of what I saw on Bill's farm. The horses were very athletic in build, and seemed like great all around types I could really enjoy. I keep hoping the cards stack up right someday and I get to have one in my barn.

Hope this helps,

Megan

I am owned by: Shadazon Moonlite (Gai Gallizon x Andegor Shadula)
and now Champagn Isabella (Heartz Dezire x Champagn Rose)

#5 NadiaKA

NadiaKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

Tranquility Farms owned the straight Russian *Muscat son Nokitov and used quite a bit of Russian breeding, including a lot of linebreeding to *Muscat. Dam lines included Tornado/Crabbet, Egyptian, Polish, etc. Bill Stokes was one of the early visitors to the Tersk auctions in Russia, shortly after the Russian horses were accepted into the US studbook. I've seen old ads promoting Nokitov as well as a son of his full brother Akshyon, TF Eklypse. He also used the full brother GH Muscateer so must have been fond of the *Muscat/Nahodka cross.

Here are a couple pictures of Nokitov and some of his Tranquility bred offspring:

Nadia
Kakagi Arabians
Straight Russian Arabians
Featuring the offspring of *Nefison (Mag x Nefisa)

#6 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (mgilnh2o @ Dec 28 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The stallion was shown hp by ross, just enjoyed by his owner, and I don't recall Dundee ever showing. The owner purchased both as stallions, but gelded Dundee due to something genetic he tested positive for...SCIDS maybe? I don't remember exactly, but it was her reason for gelding him.

I really liked all of what I saw on Bill's farm. The horses were very athletic in build, and seemed like great all around types I could really enjoy. I keep hoping the cards stack up right someday and I get to have one in my barn.

Hope this helps,

Yes, there was a SCIDS problem at Tranquillity. Bill was aware of it before there was a SCIDS test. So was I. At one point he contacted me and asked me to reassure a buyer that his horses were clear. I told him he and I both knew better, he had a problem in his herd and I was not going to tell a buyer he didn't, even though he had been a client of mine for pedigree research. At that time there was NO WAY to tell if a horse was clear until a foal produced by it died of SCID.

To the best of my knowledge Nokitov was clear, it was the horses with Tornado and Crabbet breeding he had that were the problem.

If you go to the FOAL site which lists SCID carriers there is a story there about a Tranquillity bred foal who died of SCID. Both parents were bred by Bill.

Bill bred some wonderful horses, and I wish the SCIDS test had been available lots earlier so he could have done so with more knowledge of potential problems. I didn't appreciate his lack of ethics about it though.

Posted Image

#7 NadiaKA

NadiaKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Arlene Magid @ Dec 30 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you go to the FOAL site which lists SCID carriers there is a story there about a Tranquillity bred foal who died of SCID. Both parents were bred by Bill.

I just re-read that story not too long ago, looking at the pedigree of the foal that died I think I have a pretty good idea who the carrier was.

It's too bad to hear how he approached the problem, with the amount of linebreeding he used in his program I'm not surprised the issue came up.

Nadia
Kakagi Arabians
Straight Russian Arabians
Featuring the offspring of *Nefison (Mag x Nefisa)

#8 Sakinah-Farms

Sakinah-Farms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (NadiaKA @ Dec 30 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just re-read that story not too long ago, looking at the pedigree of the foal that died I think I have a pretty good idea who the carrier was.

It's too bad to hear how he approached the problem, with the amount of linebreeding he used in his program I'm not surprised the issue came up.

Yes, I have a TF mare, TF Moon Dancer (TF Dundee x Vallejo Marquessa). When I got her she was in foal to a stallion tested SCID clear but when I sold the resulting foal I sold her with an SCID test kit included and prepaid and disclosed the SCID background of the TF horses, including the fact that Dundee was a carrier.

I am, actually, right now, on my way to the FOAL site to order another kit to test Moon Dancer. Although she is bred to SCID clear stallions only, due to my knowledge of the SCID problem in the TF herd, I would like to know her status for certain so I can be forthright with clients about her offspring.

I'd rather have 100 buyers walk away than to have one of my horses passed from home to home because of an undisclosed problem.

Marie

Sakinah Sport Horses
D Marie AuBuchon
Shannon & Shanda Cruz
Texas, USA

Email us!

#9 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Sakinah-Farms @ Jan 3 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I have a TF mare, TF Moon Dancer (TF Dundee x Vallejo Marquessa). When I got her she was in foal to a stallion tested SCID clear but when I sold the resulting foal I sold her with an SCID test kit included and prepaid and disclosed the SCID background of the TF horses, including the fact that Dundee was a carrier.

I am, actually, right now, on my way to the FOAL site to order another kit to test Moon Dancer. Although she is bred to SCID clear stallions only, due to my knowledge of the SCID problem in the TF herd, I would like to know her status for certain so I can be forthright with clients about her offspring.

I'd rather have 100 buyers walk away than to have one of my horses passed from home to home because of an undisclosed problem.

Marie

Bravo for you, Marie. It's good to know the TF horses can breed on in responsible hands (unfortunately Bill was not a responsible person-he cared more about getting a horse sold than he did about disclosure-when word started getting out about the problem in his herd he called me and asked me to write him a statement that his horses were not affected, since I had done some prior work for him. I gave him a good piece of my mind and told him I didn't want his business anymore).

Responsibly using the good individuals from SCID carrier lines can benefit the breed. Most people here know about Versace's contributions-his son DA Valentino has won more National Championships in halter than any other Arabian stallion, and that would not have happened if Versace had been removed from the gene pool. Other carriers of the past, including *Nizzam, were not so lucky because they lived long before the development of the carrier test.

Bill had some really good horses. Am glad they won't be lost to posterity.

Posted Image

#10 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Marq_My_Words.jpg

I just bought Marq My Words, Nokitov x Vallejo Marquessa (Tornado) in August. When I got him he was a stallion, though I don't know if he'd been used at all. Due to his stature and the fact that I have a lovely colt that I intend to keep intact, I gelded Marq. After reading this thread, I'm thinking that wasn't a bad decision, though before I bred him I certainly would have had him SCID tested.

I'm glad to see that there are still off spring out there bred like Marq. He is just the most delightful horse and so good looking. His personality and his 100% attitude are just the total bonus with this horse. In the future, I'd certainly use a clear sister of his to breed to my colt. I think the resulting foal would be fantastic.

Pat Lowe