Photo
- - - - -

Arlene, Current Contact information

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#11 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Cute bunnies Arlene. I hope the ones that needed vet care get well soon. Would love to see more pics!

#12 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:56 AM

Speedy healing to your little bun buns.

This was Iris. I had lost my Netherland Dwarf, Stormy, a couple days prior and a friend was at a yard sale and they had Iris there being kept in a hamster cage. So, being the good friend she is, decided that I immediately needed another bunny friend and that's how I acquired him.

My favorite Iris story...Iris was loose in the house, but generally confined to the kitchen as there were no cords to chew there! There was a clear difference between the tiling in the kitchen and the hardwood in the dining room and he knew that the kitchen was his and he was not permitted in the dining room, but I never kept up the barrier between the two rooms. Well, early one morning I came down the stairs and rounded the corner towards the dining room and spied a little white fuzzball under the dining room table. Well, Iris decided he was in hot water so he took off like a banshee and flew into the kitchen, bounced off the kitchen wall and put himself back into his cage, looking innocent of all charges brought against him.

My other favorite story was the time I bought unsweetened applesauce by accident. I wasn't a fan of it, so I decided to see if Iris would like some. I put it in his cage in his little plastic dish, so Iris (who loved sweetened applesauce) came over to check it out. He took a bite, had the most incredible look of disdain and picked up his dish, took it out of the cage and flung it, so it spattered about the kitchen. He certainly told me what he thought of the situation.

I can see the English spot in Tomas. My very first rabbit I had in my childhood was an English Spot named Rainbow. I didn't realize though that the English Spot could be so few spotted. I learn something new everyday!

Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#13 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

I am very very sad to report that Ebony (the black girl with the white nose) went to the Rainbow Bridge at 1 am UK time this morning.

I fear we may lose her sister Noir as well-never have I seen a rabbit so depressed when a companion has passed away (and I have a lot of prior experience with that). She was eating and pooping at the vet's after Ebony died-they left her with her deceased sister for a couple of hours and Noir seemed to realize what had happened and seemed to be coping.

Whole different story when I got her home. She went into one of the cages in the dining room and won't come out. Won't eat mint or pellets (her two fave things). Looks lost and very very depressed. I think her grief is deeper than any I have seen in a rabbit before because Ebony has been with her since birth and their bond was very tight. All the other buns I've had bonded at a much older age as a result of my introducing them.

The vet recommended I bring Tomas down and keep in in a cage near her. But Harmony needs him right now because she had a dental yesterday and is recovering from that. So I guess we need to get another bunny quickly. My heart hurts, I am not ready for a new member of the family, but I must do it for Noir. (When Harmony's husband Dickie died, we got Tomas within less than a week...Harmony didn't stop eating and sit hunched and miserable though as Noir is doing...)

Here's a photo of Dickie, our "Charlie" (few spot English Spot) who died far too young (2 1/2 years) because he had an enterolith...my vet had never seen one before in a rabbit though she had in a horse. Also a photo of Dickie with Harmony so you can see the "zipper" on his back...

I'm not sure why the photo of Dickie and Harmony appeared as a download instead of within my post. Here it is again:

Attached Thumbnails

• dickie.jpg

Attached Files

<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#14 krissylekrix2001

krissylekrix2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

Pretty guy! He looks so cuddly. wub.gif

#15 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

I am very sorry on your loss of Ebony and I hope that you can find a companion for Noir soon.

Please keep us updating. I'm thinking good things for the bun buns.
Anonymous

#16 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Well, we went to the RSPCA today because the rescue I got our last rabbit from has temporarily closed due to lack of funds in the recession.

Noir really needed some company. She's eating and pooping normally now but we can tell she is still very low. To cheer her up I've fed her almost my entire indoor mint plant LOL.

We did NOT bring Noir for a date because we were worried about taking her on a long car ride in the carrier so soon after her bereavement (she was freaked out when we showed her the carrier this morning). I know some of you will say we should have let her pick her own mate, but I've had very good luck with a female choosing a male or in choosing a male without the female present...

One of the boys we saw was a very unusual silver and white minilop named Joker He was very friendly with me and with other rabbits (we let both of the boys we were considering run loose while I lay on the floor of the boarding area for bunnies to interact with them). He had been found running loose on the street in Newcastle upon Tyne and was thought to be about a year old. He'd been given a health check by the vet and his teeth were fine (rabbits with dental issues seem more common in the UK than the US, and particularly minilops here seem to have dental issues). We liked him a lot...but we brought Pippin home.

Pippin is a solid black fellow with the loudest tooth purr I have ever heard. He never stopped tooth purring when I held him and cuddled up to me when I was on the floor with him. A snugglebun. His life story is better known-he was a hutch bunny for a few years for a couple who had mental health issues and had to give up their home to have supervised living without pets. He's between 2 and 3 years old. He didn't have any run time with his old family because he was in the hutch but he was obviously handled and well loved. And what a face! The lady who showed him to us at the RSPCA, Joanne, runs a rescue herself but had no males available, and she was pleased I chose Pippin as black bunnies are hard to find homes for....that's why there were so many of them donated to Jesmond Dene Pets Corner, where we got Noir and Ebony three years ago.

More when I introduce him to Noir...we will be putting his cage in her pen shortly.

Attached Thumbnails

• pippin3.jpg

</p>

#17 SandStone

SandStone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

House rabbits? What?!!!!! I've never heard of that! And they can be litterbox trained??? OMG! How neat!

One of my friends has a pot bellied pig that lives in their house with them. His name is Terrance. It is comical, and very much a part of the family. Clean, goes out with the dog to "go" and he has a chair at the dinner table. (I have no idea what they do when company comes for dinner that would be interesting!) Ha.

"Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire."

SandStone Arabians ~ Black Al Khamsa Arabians
Posted Image

http://www.sandstonearabians.com/
Posted Image

http://www.hiredhanddesign.net/
Posted Image

#18 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

For sure...

House rabbits are great. They're naturally very clean, quiet, and good natured animals.

There's actually a great organization (House Rabbit Society) with chapters in many states, areas, etc. I liked to think of Iris as a small cat without the stinky litterbox. smile.gif

Good luck with the new rabbit. I hope it's the boost that Noir needs.
Anonymous

#19 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Pippin and Noir got "married" today. I cleaned Noir's normal living area so it would be neutral territory and put Pippin in with her.

No fighting, they shared some freshly cut mint (a favorite treat) and then decided to nap in one of the two available cages (I have some cages in the house for hospital use and also the bunnies like to nap in them).

Here's the happy couple, I am so thrilled they wanted to be together so soon. Noir seems so happy (she's the one in front though it's hard to tell them apart here):

Attached Thumbnails

• pippinnoir1.jpg

</p>

#20 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

My husband was worried about leaving the newly wedded pair together overnight, but look what we found when we got up this morning:

Attached Thumbnails

• pippinoircuddle2.jpg

</p>