Photo
- - - - -

Yet another German Shepherd :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#21 tiki-bird

tiki-bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Beautiful dogs! My family always had GSDs (males) since I was very young. As an adult, I have taken in at different times two females at about 1.5 years of age. (I have also raised a male from a puppy.) Each of the females has been very difficult to train, each was raised in confined circumstances and has more energy than I ever remember previous GSDs to have. Whereas our male (deceased before taking in the current female) assumed a guilty posture over any misdemeanor, the females didn't/don't seem to even get that they have done anything bad. It is difficult to scold/train/correct her. Frankly, she just seems stupid.

Is this due to gender, or an undisciplined upbringing? Is it fixable now (the current female is aged 2.5-3)? I'm beginning to think this isn't the breed for me, though I grew up loving and admiring the appearance and loyalty characteristic of the breed.

Preserving the bloodline of *Lotnik, WWII Prize of War

Author of Tennessee's Arabian Horse Racing Heritage

#22 Silverdust Arabians

Silverdust Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

I love all the pics--GSD are my favorite breed! Here are my 3: Baja is the mom of the two boys, Turbo and Dually-- she was pregnant when we got her 3 years ago. The guy hated her, said she was the stupidest dog he'd ever seen, and he was going to shoot her, so I took her--but he bred her first--I guess he wanted to add 8 more "stupid" dogs to the world's population! rolleyes.gif I love her to death, she's an awesome dog and I seriously have no idea what his beef was with her, other than that she's little, and a girl. She's so smart, loyal, loving, and playful, just a wonderful girl! She's pretty small (about 50 lbs!), but the dad is huge, and the pups all averaged right in the middle of the two around 70lbs. We don't breed, and the parents weren't registered (though they are purebred), so she was spayed right after having the pups (and just in time too, as he called asking if we wanted to breed her again! Oops, just had her fixed, sorry dude!). As much fun as it was to have them, I'm happy with the once in a liftetime experience of caring for a litter of puppies! biggrin.gif But I love my guys, and wouldn't give them up for anything!
Baja
Baja_1.jpg

Baja and Dually
Baja_Dually.jpg

Dually the Happy Goofball (you should see him chase butterflies!) and Turbo (darker one)
Dually_3.jpg Turbo_1.jpg

One more: Psycho Snow Dogs at work, systematically ridding the world of all Flying Snowballs, one Snowball at a time! Oops--they forgot the ones stuck to Dizzy's butt fluff! biggrin.gif
Psycho_Snow_Dogss.jpg
Rochelle

The Kids:
"Niki" DD Silver Nacomic (RF Kariim x DNA Silver Nugget)
"Noah" Kolognes Mr TNT (Kologne Witez BA x RF Sur Fire)
"Dinah" Muscelusive (MHR Muscateal x JF Elusive)
"Louie" SDR Muscadore (The Golden Sun x Muscelusive)

#23 Lotzadotz

Lotzadotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (tiki-bird @ Oct 21 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beautiful dogs! My family always had GSDs (males) since I was very young. As an adult, I have taken in at different times two females at about 1.5 years of age. (I have also raised a male from a puppy.) Each of the females has been very difficult to train, each was raised in confined circumstances and has more energy than I ever remember previous GSDs to have. Whereas our male (deceased before taking in the current female) assumed a guilty posture over any misdemeanor, the females didn't/don't seem to even get that they have done anything bad. It is difficult to scold/train/correct her. Frankly, she just seems stupid.

Is this due to gender, or an undisciplined upbringing? Is it fixable now (the current female is aged 2.5-3)? I'm beginning to think this isn't the breed for me, though I grew up loving and admiring the appearance and loyalty characteristic of the breed.

I don't think it has anything to do with gender in my opinion...I would say more likely to be a genetic trait. My female is energetic, but she listens well and seems to be more in tune with our feelings/thoughts. Alot of female dogs are more dominant too, but I never found them to be untrainable?

#24 Danielle

Danielle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

You guys are killing me over here, you all have such beautiful GSDs! wub.gif

#25 Lotzadotz

Lotzadotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

Silverdust Arabians...

I LOVE the PSYCHO SNOW DOGS!! Thats funny, because my dogs do the same thing!! LOL

#26 Silverdust Arabians

Silverdust Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

Tee hee biggrin.gif They're nuts! Very entertaining... You should see them go after the four-wheeler! I've clocked Dually at 34 mph! Ha ha, I should put that up on my front gate: My German Shepherd can run 34mph, can YOU? laugh.gif Funny thing is, if you turn around and stomp your foot at him, he turns and high-tails it--watch dog? Yes... Guard dog? NO! rolleyes.gif

Tiki-bird, I know there is a "breed standard", but I really just think each dog is an individual. Dually is an excellent watch dog--he warns and barks when he senses somthing "wrong", but he is very sensitive, so loving and almost obsessive how he bores into my eyes with his, he is "my" dog definitely, but if I even raise my voice at another dog in trouble, he cowers and runs--he has never been hit, and I know because he was born and raised here. He is just that way, very sensitive--so much so that he is harder to train at some things, and so extremely easy to to train at others (sit scares him, he'd rather lay down, but heal on a leash? heck, who even needs a leash--he stuck to my leg the first time I tried and I've never had a problem with him running off, he wags his tail and his tongue just like in the picture, so happy to be with me.) Turbo on the other hand is very smart, but acts stupid quite often--I honestly think it's because he'd rather envision a perfect world where he can do no wrong, and answers to no one! biggrin.gif He can be obnoxious, but at times his true genious shines through, and he is always friendly and sweet, just mentally distant. Baja is extremely smart, I think the most out of the three, but she is also sensitive (I would have assumed she'd been abused, had I not also experienced Dually's behavior with his non-traumatic upbringing).

Oh anyway, I'm babbling. I think each dog is an individual, and while previous handling and experiences may help to shape their personalities, so do genetics--just as with horses or people! Maybe she needs a "job"--they are a herding breed and like to work! maybe she's bored, or maybe she's the type of personality that "shuts out" things she doesn't care for, like when she's being scolded or corrected. Turbo sounds just like your girl--He is not hyper, but he does what your girl does, and doesn't seem to understand or care what scolding is. Although, he does seem to really feed off of praise and reward, it doesn't help to give him a pat or a treat just because he stayed away from the horses--we have now given up, and just "let the horses do the work for us"-- we stopped yelling at him for nipping at their tails, and he has been kicked 3 times this last week, but finally started showing a little bit of wariness around their hind-ends (after 3 years of living with them!) I feel your pain! mellow.gif But what can I say? I do love my dogs, so I try and put up with their quirks...

ETA: geesh, didn't mean to overtake the PICTURE thread! But I wanted to add, Turbo never chases the horses when we're not around, only when we're leading them--I definitely think this is a very smart breed, and these "problem children" are only trying to do what they were meant to do--work for their master. They just don't know what to do, so they make it up as they go biggrin.gif
Rochelle

The Kids:

#27 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

I hope Roger sees this thread soon because he is the master dog trainer here on ABN. If you guys have questions just ask him. Sorry to nominate you for the dog questions Roger but you and Dianna are great with them and need to share your wisdom.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#28 Lotzadotz

Lotzadotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

Rochelle...I think Dually and my male Gator must be long lost brothers!! Gator also has an obsession with our 4-wheeler. If we can't find him, all we have to do is start it up....and he is there in a flash waiting to go for a run. He is super friendly....not a guard dog either. He has a goofy habit of goosing people...and I mean HARD. Its like he likes to see the reaction he gets when he pokes them. But really he wants their attention so that they'll play ball with him. There was this one time when an older lady was here and taking a bushel of cucumbers out of her trunk....well while she was bending over Gator poked her good. The look on her face was priceless!! She was the mother of one of our employees, and he was in tears laughing so hard....and even years later he could still picture it in his mind and laugh.

#29 NadiaKA

NadiaKA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:04 AM

Ive been involved in raising two females. The first had some work before we got her (already house trained etc). She was a very timid dog, one of our employees punished her for something and it took him years to be able to touch her again, she would run away as soon as he came within about 10 feet. Her breeder did pick her out for us based on her temperament as she was going to be around a lot of people (fishing camp). We didn't do much training with her but never had any behaviour problems.

Our new puppy is also on the timid side, when she gets yelled at she wants to run and hide in her bed. I don't think she'd take much punishment either and has been described as 'shy'. She's very smart- learned to come, sit, and lay down with very little work, I think she picked most of it up from our older lab. Positive reinforcement works very well with her and I think better than negative. We've had some issues house training but mostly because we're not home enough. I've started tying her at night and think I've made a breakthrough smile.gif This is my first time house training!

I love the breed, my fiance who's had labs isn't quite sure yet but he will come around. I do think they (or at least the ones I've known) require some understanding.

Nadia
Kakagi Arabians
Straight Russian Arabians
Featuring the offspring of *Nefison (Mag x Nefisa)

#30 Silverdust Arabians

Silverdust Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Lotzadotz @ Oct 22 2008, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rochelle...I think Dually and my male Gator must be long lost brothers!! Gator also has an obsession with our 4-wheeler. If we can't find him, all we have to do is start it up....and he is there in a flash waiting to go for a run. He is super friendly....not a guard dog either. He has a goofy habit of goosing people...and I mean HARD. Its like he likes to see the reaction he gets when he pokes them. But really he wants their attention so that they'll play ball with him. There was this one time when an older lady was here and taking a bushel of cucumbers out of her trunk....well while she was bending over Gator poked her good. The look on her face was priceless!! She was the mother of one of our employees, and he was in tears laughing so hard....and even years later he could still picture it in his mind and laugh.

Oh that's too funny biggrin.gif We have 5 dogs total (used to be 6 but we had to rehome the rottie due to jealousy issues with her and the boys causing bad fights, now Turbo takes up her slack rolleyes.gif ) My family --who livs in the city-- gets a huge kick out of watching the dogs chase us all over our 10 acres--it's like a wild herd of dogs on stampede! If we slow down and they're not done running, they'll take off ahead of us, and run laps around our 3 wooded acres, bounding in and out of the trees and brush, checking every now and then to see where the four-wheeler went. My aussie likes to ride on the back with me too, I think that's my favorite part biggrin.gif

Rochelle

The Kids: