Photo
- - - - -

*CARMARGUE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

CARMARGUE THE UNFORGETTABLE
by Arlene Magid-Williams

It's been almost 15 years since the author first saw Carmargue float into the ring at the Scottsdale Show in America, his ethereal beauty and presence like no other horse in the aged stallion class. He has been on my mind ever since, as a standard of Arabian perfection to which all other horses must compare. Although the judges did not appreciate him fully on that day, he later became an American halter champion and a very popular sire in his three years there. Carmargue is now a senior statesman of twenty-four, retired from stud duties but as lovely as ever. His record as a show horse and sire stands as tribute to one of the breed's best horses.
Carmargue was foaled in 1979, bred by Glyn and Joyce Greenwood of Souter House Stud.. Joyce Greenwood says of him: "When we bought his sire White Lightning we never realised how successful the nick with his dam Velvet Shadow would be. The cross also produced the major winners Rostam, Ermine Shadow and Lilac Shadow. Carmargue was one on his own--the most beautiful of all of them. People who saw him had so much pleasure not because of his wins but because of who he is." As a three year old a half interest in him was purchased by Alun Prothero, a friend of Glyn's, and when he was five Prothero acquired the other half interest.
Carmargue began attracting attention from significant breeders as soon as he hit the show ring. In 1983, he came second in his class at the Nation's Cup show at Ascot, where his strong trot made him a crowd favourite, as well as the favourite of noted Spanish breeder Don Diego Mendez, who asked for a private viewing after the class. "Best head in the world!" Don Diego exclaimed through a translator. "You have a wonder horse!" Two years later, in 1985, Don Diego leased Carmargue for two years to show and breed.
Carmargue had proven he was a great Arabian, but in the beginning of Diego Mendez' lease he also proved he was a horse of exceptional courage. He became seriously ill after his arrival, was unable to eat and lost over 400 pounds. Insurance company vets wanted him destroyed, but Diego Mendez and the Prothero family refused to give up. For six weeks, Diego Mendez slept in Carmargue's stall. Finally, by fall Carmargue showed significant improvement, and plans went ahead for him to show at the Salon du Cheval in Paris in December. On Sunday, December 8, 1985, Carmargue was the last horse to enter the arena in Paris. According to eyewitness Gari Dill Marlow, "the audience gave a collective gasp...an Arabian who looked like a magical fantasy come to life. With an exquisite head and a flawless body impossible to capture in a still photo, the stallion instantly captivated everyone." Noted breeder Jean Marc Valerio was among those amazed by the stallion. "I regarded Alhabac as the greatest Arabian I would ever see in my lifetime. The greatest compliment I can pay you is to admit that Carmargue is even greater. Tomorrow he will be World Champion. " And so he was-Carmargue received the highest overall score of any Arabian in the entire show and went on to be named Senior International Champion Stallion and World Champion Stallion.
Further honors ensued. At the 1986 Spanish National Championship show, Carmargue became the first stallion bred outside of Spain to be named Spanish National Champion Stallion. U.S. judge Cecile Hetzel said of him:"To me, he is an animal who creates a picture of Arabian type, plus he has a great deal of motion, and the special quality of Arabian presence." Carmargue had 17 foals registered from his sojourn in Spain. They included 1995 Spanish National Champion Stallion Rawalpyndi, sire of Spanish National Champion Mare and World Champion Filly Diandra and of Spanish National Champion Stallion Efren.
Carmargue returned to England for the 1987 breeding season, and was shown again as well. British judges were fulsome in their praise of him. Mrs D.M. Campbell said: "I was enormously impressed with Carmargue. He is one of those rare horses, so well put together that you sit up and take notice of him instantly!" The late Ronald Kydd commented:" I gave him 20 out of 20 points-something I very rarely do. Not only is he a basically correct horse, but he was full of presence, moved beautifully and showed himself to be a very kind horse."
Jay and Sigi Constanti of Om El Arab Stud in the U.S. managed to talk Alun Prothero into letting Carmargue go on another international trip that would give him new exposure and opportunities. He arrived in America in November 1987 and stood three breeding seasons there. Constanti found him a superb mount for trail riding and said of him: "From his hooves to his body he is flawless and wonderfully functional. The gravy is his head, tail-carriage and trot. He has set a standard that will be hard for any other stallion to surpass." Carmargue sired 85 registered get in his time in America. Among them are champions of several countries. His son Eldamar Cavalier has multiple U.S. regional titles in western pleasure. Another son AR Kahseed is a regional winner in halter and in western pleasure. His son Carzan is a halter champion and has seven regional titles in performance with wins in western pleasure, country pleasure, and native costume. Carmargue get have produced American National winners. His son DA Tripoli sired Canadian National Champion Stallion Amateur to Show DA Demitry(also a U.S. and Canadian Top Ten Futurity Colt) and his daughter Om El Shaina is the dam of U.S. Top Ten Futurity Filly Om El Shadina. Several of Carmargue's American born get were exported. WSA Charismma is a Dutch Reserve National Champion Stallion, Wels International Champion Stallion and Austrian International Champion Stallion as well as a sire of champions. Challon Salana was named Reserve Champion Foal at the Haydock Show in Britain.Oml Sanaya Estopa is a German Reserve Junior Champion Filly, and Om El Saiyid was named International Junior Champion in both Switzerland and Germany. Carmargue's son Om El Abadan was shown in both Europe and Australia, winning All Nations Cup Reserve Champion Stallion and Australian Reserve National Champion Stallion. He is the sire of Nations Cup and World Junior Champion Colt Espano Estopa.
Carmargue's get in Britain have taken the show ring there by storm, and now his influence is extending into his grandget as well. Notable winners bred in Britain include 1993 Towerlands Reserve Senior Champion Mare Khamarra, 1992 British Reserve Junior Champion Colt Sajiid,.1991 Malvern Best Broodmare Jemille(dam of 1992 British Junior Champion Female TAS Fascination), supreme halter champion Djammal (a class winner at the British Nationals), British Junior Champion Colt and Towerlands Junior Champion Colt Arazi, 2000 British Senior Champion Male and 1997 British Supreme Champion Male Ali Khamsin, and 1999 British Reserve National Champion Stallion Carmargue Too. Carmargue Too was bred by June Greenwood, daughter of Camargue's breeder. She says of him: "He has more in-hand wins than any other Carmargue son in England. He is now in saddle training and will be shown this season or next--he has amazing movement at the trot, very ground covering and elevated at the same time."
Carmargue's reputation as a sire goes from strength to strength. In 1992 he shared the Sam Simmonds Award for the leading sire of the AHS show with Imad, and in 1983 he won it outright. In 1999 he was once again the most influential sire at the British National Championships. In her coverage of the show in Arabian Horse World. Bette Finke cites the "Camargue phenomenon". Carmargue grandget won the two classes for two year old fillies, were first and second in the three year old colt class, and won three consecutive stallion classes. "Another phenomenon that can be observed in this connection is that some Carmargue sons appear to sire exactly the type of foals that Carmague does himself," Finke comments.
Each year the Carmargue legend grows. In 2002 the British Nationals saw a number of winners out of Carmargue daughters. Junior Champion Colt Aja Svengali, Reserve Best Three Year Old Colt Aja Ben Rajah, Senior Three Year Old Filly winner Aja Beneja, and Reserve Junior Champion Filly FL Mar Saba are all of what Bette Finke describes as "a new Golden Cross that has produced spectacular results in Britain. Carmargue daughters are certainly doing a great job as broodmares." The 2002 British National Champion Stallion Aazari is by the Carmargue son Arazi. Aazari is a bay, but otherwise he is much like his grandsire, with exquisite type and wonderful motion.
When the final chapter of Camargue's tale is told, he is perhaps best remembered for his wonderful personality, not just the wins of his descendants. He always touched the hearts of people fortunate enough to meet him. The noted writer Gladys Brown Edwards saw him at the Scottsdale Show at the same time as this author. She said of him: "Carmargue is a contradiction within the definition of temperament-he exhibits a gentle calm yet has the look of eagles. There is a great majesty about his demeanour. It is so refreshing to know that there is a stallion alive today who looks like this." No-one loves Carmargue more than his owner Alun Prothero, who must have the last word here. "When I go into his paddock, he always gallops up to say hello and then follows me around like a pet dog. In the stable he would pass for an old mare, but outside he poses and snorts for visitors. To know Carmargue is to know love--I believe there will never be another like him. If my enthusiasm for Carmargue appears to be excessive, please forgive me. Our only defense is that many others are similarly affected."
<p class="bbc_center"><br><br>
</p>

#2 Dahabi Arabians

Dahabi Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

DEFINITELY one of my all-time favorites of the breed!!

Shannon Edney

www.PhotographyByShannon.us

www.MarketYourArabian.com

#3 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

Me too. In spite of his long cannons!

I wrote this article for Arab Horse Society News but I figured a lot of people in the US might not have seen it!
</p>

#4 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

THANKS for this, Arlene! Few Arabian stallions have ever affected me as *Carmargue did! He was positively OTHERWORLDLY in his beauty. His kindness was not to be believed, either! A prince of the breed, if ever there was one. I SO enjoyed your article!

Cyclone
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#5 Fairfax

Fairfax

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for such a great article. Your are truly amazing with your ability to make "dry stats" actually appealing. I wish you would have been my prof for stats.

I will forward the link to Sandra Kaplan. Sandra and her sister, the late Sharon Patton, were the breeders of WSA Charisma.

There is a son of his in Canada who is proving himself as a sire of pony hunters...

Thanks again Arlene for a wonderful "read". I am so very pleased that we did not lose you when you moved.

Leo
Collected my marbles...going...going.....gone

#6 Mason Arabians

Mason Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

i so enjoyed reading this--thank you---does anyone have some pics of him to share

#7 bekah

bekah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (Fairfax @ Sep 26 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for such a great article. Your are truly amazing with your ability to make "dry stats" actually appealing. I wish you would have been my prof for stats.

I will forward the link to Sandra Kaplan. Sandra and her sister, the late Sharon Patton, were the breeders of WSA Charisma.

There is a son of his in Canada who is proving himself as a sire of pony hunters...

Thanks again Arlene for a wonderful "read". I am so very pleased that we did not lose you when you moved.

Leo

Leo,

Who is the horse in your avatar? I'm in love, but I'm bias as I love good driving horses.

Bekah

#8 Bob

Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Fairfax @ Sep 26 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leo

This article is, of course, another great read!! Well done Arlene!!

Leo(or Arlene), who is the Carmargue son you are referring to and where is he standing?

Bob Wasylyk
Willow View Arabians

www.willowviewarabians.net

#9 Arlene Magid

Arlene Magid

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Bob @ Nov 24 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This article is, of course, another great read!! Well done Arlene!!

Leo(or Arlene), who is the Carmargue son you are referring to and where is he standing?

Bob- Leo will have to assist you here, perhaps you need to PM him...

I don't know which stallion he is referring to. Sadly, many of *Camargue's sons in North America were gelded (some after they had sired foals). So he will have to explain...

Arlene
</p>

#10 Dahabi Arabians

Dahabi Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Mason Arabians @ Sep 26 2008, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i so enjoyed reading this--thank you---does anyone have some pics of him to share

I have quite a few photos of him I can share, but they are on my other computer. For now I can direct you to some that are referenced on my Web site . . .

Link to *Carmargue photos

Shannon Edney

www.PhotographyByShannon.us

www.MarketYourArabian.com