Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HDR photography anyone???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

I love the new HDR photos and have found a few free programs for those new to this technique.

HDR photos are high dynamic range imaging (HDRI),a set of techniques that allows a greater range of values between light and dark areas than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.

This method was developed to produce a high dynamic range image from a set of photographs taken with a range of exposures. With the rising popularity of digital cameras and easy-to-use desktop software, the term HDR is now popularly used to refer to this process. This composite technique is different from (and may be of lesser or greater quality than) the production of an image from a single exposure of a sensor that has a native high dynamic range. Tone mapping is also used to display HDR images on devices with a low native dynamic range, such as a computer screen.

Here is a photo I took of a forest area a few miles from me done as a HDR.

I know some people don't like the HDR's because they give a kind of surreal look to some photos. But I really like most of them and the barns I did earlier this week are HDR's and they look true to life to me.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (
*Respingo x SZED Payadora by *SZED Jador)

#2 Donna S

Donna S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

Wow, I've never heard of this, nor have I played around with it............could you do a photo of one of my horse heads for me? I'll attach a couple...........I'd like to see what that would look like on a horse picture...........

buckyhead8280.jpg

buckyheadsmall8688.jpg

How, interesting!

Whispering Hill Farm....where color is truly a bonus!
Posted Image

#3 CVR

CVR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

That's interesting. What program do you use?

Posted Image

Copyright 2008

#4 rethacharper

rethacharper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Stacy,

I really like that forest pic and Donna, your horses are gorgeous!

Retha

#5 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

I use Essential HDR Community version.

Home of

Zakamora (May 5, 1985-Jan 11, 2011) (Finzak x Metamorphosis), Katia (Padrons Dejonare x Zakamora)

Ipanema (Caribbean Baie (Monogramm X Shah Maali) x Eykis, Ariel (Homestead Werborr x Staryforr)
ZLA Yesca (

#6 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

Here is a shot of some train tracks I took this morning. The first photo is the original and the second is the HDR. It's a good way to see the difference.

Images copyright Stacy Swenson

Home of

ZLA Yesca (

#7 Cyclone

Cyclone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Oh, mo....wipes a tear....I am soooooooo proud of you! I think you are one of my FINEST students to date! Sniffles...I get all verklempt! HONK!

Mo's Mentor
Beannacht Arabian Ranch

Pure Polish working western and sport horse prospects

Home of Pure Polish stallion, Vezanka (*Veza X *Suzanka)

www.beannachtarabianranch.net

Bronntanas - Animal Communicator

#8 deettah

deettah

deettah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

I've been toying with playing around with this for a bit too Stac! Great thread!

Hopeless and devoted to Rose, Akeem, Rosita, Graace and Junior

Posted Image

Copyright 2011

Posted Image

#9 mmfarabian

mmfarabian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

I have never heard of this before, but am going to learn lots of stuff here, I can already see that smile.gif
Cathy
My heart is in my horses, my horses are in my heart.

#10 morasgirl

morasgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

Well Cy, I remember you telling me all about cameras and video cameras because of your vast experience in front of them for that guy, what was his name, hhhmmm Ron maybe, or Rom Jeremmy, something like that.

Thanks Dettah and MM. I've been lonely in here all weekend. Let's get this party started!!

Home of

ZLA Yesca (