Photo

Pure Crabbet breeders on ABN?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#11 allanglos

allanglos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Peter Mileo @ Jun 25 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorite was Seffer but he didn't stand to the public. He was a brilliant mover. Most of the others were just average moving horses in my opinion.

Regards,
Peter Mileo

*Seffer was my favorite, too. I saw him at a show in WA State many years ago, and LOVED him. Very expressive mover.

Email me

The Inverted Y
National Champion Anglo Arabians since 1977

www.allanglos.net

#12 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Rosealba Farm @ Jul 2 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pure Crabbets are very rare in the US. Even the ECAHS considers horses over 50% "pure". I have several horses in my herd that fall into that category. I have several high percentage Crabbets in my herd. I had the ECAHS do certificates on 4 of my horses. (snip)

ECAHS accepts the Carol Mulder definition of pure Crabbets. ECAHS is an organization that supports and promotes horses with significant portions of Crabbet lineage, but also makes special mention of and gives attention to those horses that trace entirely to Crabbet stock (the "pure" Crabbets). ECAHS does NOT consider horses of less than 100% Crabbet lineage as "pure" Crabbet.

Definition of Pure Crabbet

The pure Crabbets are one of the smallest breeding groups in the US and many of the breeders do not have a strong presence on-line. Quite a few of them *ARE* members of ECAHS.

I don't have any pure Crabbets in my herd, but all of mine have quite a bit of Crabbet lineage. :-)

(I'm currently on the BOD of ECAHS so I have a bit of familiarity with the organization and its parameters <wink>)

Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#13 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the correction. Regardless, it is too bad so many of the Crabbet lines are dying out.

#14 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Rosealba Farm @ Jul 2 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the correction. Regardless, it is too bad so many of the Crabbet lines are dying out.

Many "old-fashioned" lines are dying out, not just pure Crabbets. However, there are efforts to keep the pure Crabbet lines going forward. The yahoo group I posted has a good number of the international Crabbet breeders posting there. There have been a few recent importations of pure Crabbets to the US from both Australia and the UK. I sure hope that folks continue to breed pure Crabbets. :-)

To broaden the discussion:

Since "Crabbet" encompassed so many phases of breeding, what Crabbet lineages do you favor? What lines do you think are most in need of saving/ most in danger of being lost?
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#15 Delightful

Delightful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

I hear the comments about there being few pure crabbets in the US. I have a two year old filly that I want to bred in the future. I have already started to keep my eye out for a good stallion. She is 83% Crabbet and I want to bred to her to a stallion that is the same % or more. It is really hard to find a 100% Crabbet stallion in the US. (I really only know of her dad, Magic Domino). I have completely fallen in love with Crabbet bred horses and I want to continue the lines. They are excellent preformance horses as well as pets!!
Heather
Moonlit Ridge Arabians
Proud mom of

Magic Delight AD (*Magic Domino AHS+++// x Delights Joi AD) - 2007 purebred filly
2009 SHN Top Ten PB Sport Horse In Hand Jackpot Fillies

HA Lehazon (Garnizon x Shoaleh) - 1997 purebred mare

Co- mom of WR Princessa (Sir Fames HBV x Lillian) - 2009 purebred filly

In loving memory of Rio Risadda "Clyde" (Rio Lobo x Cheri Risadda) - 1988 purebred gelding

A successful life is not measured by what is accomplished, but by what is overcome to accomplish it.

#16 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Delightful @ Jul 5 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hear the comments about there being few pure crabbets in the US. I have a two year old filly that I want to bred in the future. I have already started to keep my eye out for a good stallion. She is 83% Crabbet and I want to bred to her to a stallion that is the same % or more. It is really hard to find a 100% Crabbet stallion in the US. (I really only know of her dad, Magic Domino). I have completely fallen in love with Crabbet bred horses and I want to continue the lines. They are excellent preformance horses as well as pets!!

Tell us what are some of the attributes that you like most about your Crabbet related horses and Crabbet horses in general?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#17 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Dawn JL @ Jul 3 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many "old-fashioned" lines are dying out, not just pure Crabbets. However, there are efforts to keep the pure Crabbet lines going forward. The yahoo group I posted has a good number of the international Crabbet breeders posting there. There have been a few recent importations of pure Crabbets to the US from both Australia and the UK. I sure hope that folks continue to breed pure Crabbets. :-)

To broaden the discussion:

Since "Crabbet" encompassed so many phases of breeding, what Crabbet lineages do you favor? What lines do you think are most in need of saving/ most in danger of being lost?

I have to keep my program small, so I have focused on Serafix. I have been fortunate to find some CMK Serafix grand get, and a wonderful Silver Drift grand daughter. She produced an exquisite filly with my stallion this year. They are getting very rare as most have passed on or are too old to breed. There are only a handful of breeding grandsons left. There are more mares, but it important to use them all so that the gene pool does not get too small. I don't know all the bloodlines, but I think Silver Drift is at high risk of becoming very diluted. There are very few grand get left. Serafix is more available, but not by much, especially the CMK lines.

Sue

#18 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Peter Mileo @ Jul 5 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell us what are some of the attributes that you like most about your Crabbet related horses and Crabbet horses in general?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

I like the structure of the Crabbet horses. They have a strong connection to the desert through the horses the Blunts brought to England. I have found them to be hardy, willing, and to have an excellent work ethic. They also handle multiple tasks easily so can go from show ring to trail and never skip a beat. I also love the Crabbet chestnut color. There is a really special copper glow to their coats. To me they are the ultimate all around Arabian.

#19 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

ECAHS does certifications on Arabians and Part Arabians based on the percentage of Crabbet bloodlines. To show at any ECAHS events they must have a minimum Crabbet percentage. I don't think they consider horses with over 50% Crabbet as "pure" but the 50% is a requirement for the futurity.

I really like all the *Serafix bloodlines in your horses. Great using horses. Most of the blood is very rare in Ontario. Dad's old endurance mare was double Serafix, double Raffles with Royal Son and Abu Farwa.

Richelle

MI Royal Flag (*Silver Flag AHS X MI Royal Spring) 1990BM Brazen Angel (*Dandaloo Kadet X Brazen Secret) 2006BM Evening Fire Ruby (Fire Reflection X MI Royal Flag) 2009BM  Evening Kadence Rumba (Kari Lockets Kadence X MI Royal Flag) 2011BM Evening Crabbet Diva (Crabbet Royalty X *Rothlynne Pure Delight) 2012 BM Evening Crabbet Bliss (Crabbet Royalty X *Acabona Blessing) 2012 BM

#20 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (rdbboo @ Jul 6 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ECAHS does certifications on Arabians and Part Arabians based on the percentage of Crabbet bloodlines. To show at any ECAHS events they must have a minimum Crabbet percentage. I don't think they consider horses with over 50% Crabbet as "pure" but the 50% is a requirement for the futurity.

I really like all the *Serafix bloodlines in your horses. Great using horses. Most of the blood is very rare in Ontario. Dad's old endurance mare was double Serafix, double Raffles with Royal Son and Abu Farwa.

Richelle

Thanks Richelle. You are right about them being using horses. That and they have wonderfully level heads. It is the best of both!

Sue