Photo

Pure Crabbet breeders on ABN?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi,
Just wondering if there was any breeders/owners of Pure Crabbet horses on ABN.

Richelle

MI Royal Flag (*Silver Flag AHS X MI Royal Spring) 1990BM Brazen Angel (*Dandaloo Kadet X Brazen Secret) 2006BM Evening Fire Ruby (Fire Reflection X MI Royal Flag) 2009BM  Evening Kadence Rumba (Kari Lockets Kadence X MI Royal Flag) 2011BM Evening Crabbet Diva (Crabbet Royalty X *Rothlynne Pure Delight) 2012 BM Evening Crabbet Bliss (Crabbet Royalty X *Acabona Blessing) 2012 BM

#2 rdbboo

rdbboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

Well I was wishing there might be more Pure Crabbet breeders here. These wonderful horses from a closed gene pool are very strong in numbers in the UK and Australia but are growing rarer in North America.

QUOTE (rdbboo @ Jul 11 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Just wondering if there was any breeders/owners of Pure Crabbet horses on ABN.

Richelle

MI Royal Flag (*Silver Flag AHS X MI Royal Spring) 1990BM Brazen Angel (*Dandaloo Kadet X Brazen Secret) 2006BM Evening Fire Ruby (Fire Reflection X MI Royal Flag) 2009BM  Evening Kadence Rumba (Kari Lockets Kadence X MI Royal Flag) 2011BM Evening Crabbet Diva (Crabbet Royalty X *Rothlynne Pure Delight) 2012 BM Evening Crabbet Bliss (Crabbet Royalty X *Acabona Blessing) 2012 BM

#3 nyteryder54

nyteryder54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

It is too bad that it is so difficult to get shipped semen from Australia. I do understand they have very rigid quarantine rules regarding this but it would open some doors to some of us here in the States that would love to see some additional Crabbet lines brought in since we are so limited on pure Crabbet horses.
I also know that it is just not worth the effort and expense on the stallion owners part to go through the quarantine period for just a handful of potential breedings.
I explored the cost of shipping a filly here at one time, which was not very cheap, and now with the economy putting a huge dent in my income that dream is fading also.

#4 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

There are very few PURE Crabbet breeders in the US. The United Kingdom has some still but very few. Australia probably has the largest number. My stallion is just over 80% and in the past we have had inquiries from Australia and Europe for frozen but never felt it was cost effective so I usually recommended his brother who did go through the quarantine procedure. I wish we had some quality PURE Crabbet horses to use here. My favorite was Seffer but he didn't stand to the public. He was a brilliant mover. Most of the others were just average moving horses in my opinion.

Karen Rhodes had a couple of good ones in the past. Not sure what she is doing these days.

Actually, about a year ago I did get another inquirery from Australia and I told the lady that if she paid for the quarantine I would give her as many straws as she wanted and the right to sell them for her own profit. She never took me up on it. It would have cost somewhere between $5-7,000 I believe for the quarantine, collections, evaluations and other procedures. I'd still be interested in doing that if anybody out there would like to take me up on it. laugh.gif

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#5 gu-ku-vi

gu-ku-vi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

I think the reason could be that Magic is not 100% crabbet,that you no respons. Wish some of the pure crabbet owners would do the same as you and offer frozen semen. Me myself had tried to have semen from Australia, but it went wrong as it turns up that the semen was not good. It cost a fortune for both me and the stallionowner.

I have a 100% crabbet colt at two years now and I would be happy to collect semen from him as soon as I know if he is fertile and the semen are good for freezing.

I will use him this year on two of my mares and see how he breeds, he is a lovely boy with good movement out of an exellent mare and stallion.

Hes pedigree is here, unfortunately I am such a fool when it come to take pivtures and I only have some which donīt do him justice.

http://www.allbreedp...com/gkv meadley

KR Gunni.

#6 Peter Mileo

Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Actually I had several people call for frozen knowing he wasn't 100%. They weren't looking for 100%.

Your colt is nice. I like his sire and dam also. Have you checked him for SCID as I see his sire is a carrier?

Regards,
Peter Mileo

City Slicker Ranch, Home of Magic Aulrab, 1993 Chestnut Stallion SCID and CA Clear and Constantene, 2006 Pure Polish Grey Arabian Stallion SCID Clear, CA Carrier, LFS Clear and Homozygous for Grey

#7 gu-ku-vi

gu-ku-vi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Yes he was testet allready when he was born and he is clear. I am about to have him testet for CA tooo.

KR Gunni.

#8 Dawn JL

Dawn JL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:12 AM

I have CMK bloodlines rather than pure Crabbet, but I do believe that the 100% Crabbets are worth preserving. There is a yahoo discussion group regarding 100% Crabbets (including some Australian breeders) that you might be interested in joining:
Friends of Pure Crabbet Arabians
Dawn Jones-Low
Faerie Court Farm
Magical Arabian Sport Horses

www.faeriecourtfarm.com
Visit Faerie Court Farm on facebook
FCF Oberons Vanity on facebook

#9 Steery

Steery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:55 AM

Stonebacks in Pennsylvania are still breeding some pure crabbets.

#10 Rosealba Farm

Rosealba Farm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:59 AM

Pure Crabbets are very rare in the US. Even the ECAHS considers horses over 50% "pure". I have several horses in my herd that fall into that category. I have several high percentage Crabbets in my herd. I had the ECAHS do certificates on 4 of my horses.

Uncommon Valorr, Royal Gold (Serafix Royal Silver) x Valkyrie Royal (Tex-Syn x Carvette) 78% Crabbet

These 3 mares are all over 50% Crabbet, but I couldn't find their certificates this morning. I have them put away for safe keeping! :-)

RHA Tatianas STar, SX Saladin (Serafix x Cobah) x P S Tatiana (Gaffizon x TW Forteyna ) I think she was 70%

SX Alaura, SX Staleys Gemini (Serafix x Neecheza) x Ashebaa (Greystone Bahar x Allaraz) Around 55%

Sheza Champ Ku, SX Champion (Serafix x Bint Subaiha) X Bartiki (Ibn Kontiki x Bar Kinhacz) Around 55%

AL Najean, Silver Monarch (Silver Drift x Dornaba) x Fascinating Charm (Buszmen x Tailormade Najean)
I don't know what her percentage is but it is probably comparable to Champ and Alaura.

All of these mares have had foals this year by Valorr. The quality and consistency was amazing! Problem is that most of these bloodlines are dying out because many were pushed aside in the 80's and 90's, and now the individuals are old or dead. The breeding stallions are the hardest to find, especially the Serafix grandsons that are CMK! There are literally only a handful left. Most of Valorr's previous offspring were "given away" because they were not saddle seat horses and are in backyards around the South. Irony is, he produces natural sport horses with incredible legs and feet, good size, strong hips good shoulders, and 3 good gaits. Every single one has a true "rocking horse" canter like their sire. Finding these horses mostly took a lot of research and time. Some were available on websites, a couple on the Marketplace, and some I found by searching the datasource and googling names. There are a few of us gathering Serafix bred horses and networking to keep these lines alive. I know there are other lines like the Abu Farwa, Ben Rabba and Aulrab horses who have groups working together to keep those lines alive too.

For anyone starting a Crabbet based program, I suggest you refine your bloodlines, research the datasource and internet, and network with breeders around the country. Gathering herds with old bloodlines that are scattered is challenging but very satisfying when you are able to find those treasures!

Sue