Photo

Gainey, McCoy Arabian bloodlines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#31 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:06 AM

I'm not sure but it could be that 'back in the day' people stopped breeding those lines as much due to SCID and lack of testing.....Pete McNeil has no SCID issues (to my knowledge never lost a foal to it...but I'd have to specifically ask him I suppose) but does not test either (I will test mine though just so I don't breed carrier to carrier in the event one of mine turned up to have it).

But that might be why. Now that there is testing there is a lack of that bloodstock.

My stallion has lines to him like yours does, but not as close up.
Signature being edited, too large.

#32 Fairfax

Fairfax

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

This is Bur Basta by Ferzon. The pictures were taken at the ranch where he and his mares had a couple of sections of land to roam. He produced Race Horse and Race Horse Filly of the Year in the U.S., Canadian Breeders Champion Mare Topaz and numerous Top Ten and Regional Champions. He took after his dam Gaichi in the body type.. Bu Zahr --

He had been purchased by a young lady who also owned a morgan mare and stallion. She committed suicide and no one knew about the horses. A thief who broke into the barn must have been a horse lover as he called the SPCA. The mare was dead, the stud lived for a week and was humanly put down, and Bur Basta...well..he had chewed the wood and damaged his teeth...his backbone protruded and he was in pretty bad shape. Victor Kerr spoke with me and told me to just do whatever it took to get him back into shape. The late Janet McCurdy came and helped and he slowly regained his strength and weight. He never lost his "look" however.

I couldn't find the foals one morning... mama's were all fine and didn't appear to be worried... I noticed a big heap of "something" in a slight hollow in the ground. There was Bert...lying down, and five or six babies lying on him, head resting on him and two were lying between his legs with their heads on his belly. When I came up he didn't snort and move...he gently shook..the babies took their time and slowly removed themselves from him...then he jumped to his feet...gave a snort and blow...and dashed back to the mares with a gaggle of babies in tow.

He never lost his sense of who he was.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bert.jpg
  • Bur_Basta.jpg

Collected my marbles...going...going.....gone

#33 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

Awwww NOW THAT Is a heartwarmer , wow...what a boy. A testament to the lines and the breed.

#34 Fairfax

Fairfax

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

This is a better head show of Bert and he is on the top. The next one is Fairfax Hih Gjynx and he was by Torodansk (Gdansk) and out of V. O. Gai Genii... also old Gainey breeding....that wonderful type always emergec

Attached Thumbnails

• Burt.jpg

#35 Lacinda

Lacinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes it sure does and Gdansk kinda had that neat look to him too!

#36 Dahabi Arabians

Dahabi Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Treasure Grove Arabians @ Dec 25 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you! I think so, but I'm pretty darned biased. wink.gif

I can't wait for our first foals this year!

He is GORGEOUS!!! Can't wait to see those foal photos!

Shannon Edney

www.PhotographyByShannon.us

www.MarketYourArabian.com

#37 Dahabi Arabians

Dahabi Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Treasure Grove Arabians @ Jan 4 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I spent about 5 hours last night searching for mares with The Real McCoy bloodlines. Turned up nothing. One filly that is 2 years old, and a handful of geldings.

What happened to this line? I thought it might be nice to pick up a girl to line breed with Ko. Nope, no such luck!

If anyone has any hiding out there let me know!

We have a young mare that has a line to The Real McCoy. We used to own her sire, Raffons Topper (Raffon++ x Toppers Belle by Mister Topper, son of The Real McCoy). Our girl is not for sale, but thought I would share a couple of photos I took of her on Christmas Eve in all her winter glory! She is a true sweetheart wub.gif

Kindly,
Shannon

Shannon Edney

www.PhotographyByShannon.us

www.MarketYourArabian.com

#38 Treasure Grove Arabians

Treasure Grove Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

Okay, so I found a mare with two crosses to The Real McCoy. And I feel stupid, as she belongs to one of my friends! I had NO idea she had this mare hiding in her pasture, but she does have almost 100 horses, so it's an honest mistake.

I'm waiting for pictures, but here is the pedigree. She's 16H, show ready, and my friend said she's built to die for (I really trust her and she knows my stallion). Asking price is $4K, or I can do a broodmare lease for $1500 plus vet bills.

So I guess my question is this. Are the McCoy lines in demand? I love them, but I don't know if I'm the only one. My herd consists of Ko (Khemosabi & The Real McCoy), Rohara bred girls (mainly Ivanhoe) and 1 Aladdin/Exceladdin bred girl).

I'm going to have to decide between this girl and a Huck daughter. Which would you get based on bloodline crosses alone? I'll get photos of both girls as soon as I can.

http://www.allbreedp.../elegant charm2
My life’s most important lessons were taught to me by my horses: to always loosen the reins, to carry my friends when they need it, to take all hurdles in stride, to spur myself onto greatness, and to always try to be a little Classy.

Treasure Grove Arabians, home of:

Almaretta Pearly Girl (Allience+// X Almaretta Bey (daughter of Talismen Bey)) For Sale
Baskaallayhndra (BT Silver Chalise X BNV Desert Flame (daughter of Exceladdinn)) For Sale
Vallies Comet (Dorian Al Kahram X Sultans Brightstar) For Sale
Riverwood Jalima (Riverwood Bask X Farranique) On Hold
KoKo Kharizma- pending (LA Kochise X Riverwood Jalima) For Sale
Klassixal Khomet- pending (LA Kochise X Vallies Comet) For Sale

#39 Fairfax

Fairfax

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

Please test for SCID with the McCoy lines. It was interesting that it had little to no effect regarding Ferzon however his siblings were not as lucky. Ferzon was the equivalent (in my mind) of Skowronek as evidenced by his unique type which he passed on. The others of Mr. McCoys breeding were more along the lines of what their pedigrees said they should produce.

It is my belief that so many truly wonderful horses of those lines were removed from breeding programs due to SCIDS rather than their "type" fell out of favor

Leo

#40 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (Treasure Grove Arabians @ Jan 4 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I spent about 5 hours last night searching for mares with The Real McCoy bloodlines. Turned up nothing. One filly that is 2 years old, and a handful of geldings.

What happened to this line? I thought it might be nice to pick up a girl to line breed with Ko. Nope, no such luck!

If anyone has any hiding out there let me know!

A few years ago when I started toying with the idea of getting a McCoy bred mare they were far and few between. I ended up finding a mare who is by Mr Mac, out of a Real Mac daughter who is out of Gals Paper Doll (by Gai Parada) All that said... 4 crosses to TRM. She was bred by Frank McCoy and owned by him until his passing at which time she was given to a life long friend who in turn gave her to me when he decided he was no longer going to bred. She is a very tall mare. Well, I'm 5 ft tall and her withers are over my head so thats tall to me. <grin> She was leased out a couple of years but would not come into heat on her own. She didn't get in foal. She has been home since October and isn't having any issures coming in now. She was in foal to BAHR Exquisite humm... lost track of time.... 3 or 4 years ago, but aborted the baby in her fifth month. I have not been in the financial position to be bred her back. I have attempted to post a photo of her but have been unable. I only have a few shots of her and none of them are really worth posting anyway. She is very sweet and I am honored to own a mare with so much history.

QUOTE (jane Rinka @ Jan 4 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My breeding program centers around Gainey bloodlines. My website is capayvalleyarabians.com. There are some photos of my two colts and mares. The pictures of the colts are two years old and need updating. Take a look.

Beautiful! More pictures........... <wink>

DW Paradas Gem & Sammy too

Together forever & forever in my heart.

Mi Reagal Dream, RVA Dream Deelite and TLF Adamas