Photo

Country versus English Pleasure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 Hoofhaven

Hoofhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

hmmm..interesting thread...

I just bought a CEP prospect...so I am told anyways..and I was very excited!! but..now im not sure this sounds like any fun lol

Im really confused now, I thought they were supposed to have high action...but maybe just because this is what I have seen??? I admit, I really have trouble telling the difference between the CEP, EP and Park classes...

So as to how they should move... what would be considered high knee action that should be penalized?? And HOW much of the movement is artificially created by shoeing or training methods??

What does a "prospect" look like??? I just want to know how I can tell from a horse's natural in the pasture movement and conformation whether they are better for HP or CEP?

sorry for the questions...new to this discipline!

Hoof-Haven Equestrian Ltd.

www.hoof-haven.com

Posted Image

#32 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (AccentoArabians @ Apr 9 2008, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally would like to show my mare which was bred for CEP in CEP, but she won't make the cut. She can make a nice hunter though. So can 200 other horses.

Agreed smile.gif Sooo many horses being sold these days as CEP/EP/Park/even Show Hack that are just gonna end up as good hunters - the hunter classes are huge already!! I think it's tough these days to raise a really good English moving horse, or so it would seem. Everyone I know that has tried has some really nice hunters though biggrin.gif
Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com

#33 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

hoofhaven.............have pics or video of the prospect? truly, which saddleseat division they eventually end up in can take some time to determine...........time under saddle with a rider. for a prospect I like to start with one that has the right breeding coupled the right conformation and with as much trot as I can find - out in an arena (pastures of deep snow/sand/ high grass just don't count as they produce an unrealistic picture of what the horse does move like). I go with the theory that there is a higher chance of having less trot once the horse is being ridden than it having more trot than expected. and once they are under saddle and going well it takes more time to get them condtioned and strong enough to carry the frame and motion for the length of a class
I love "prospects" though and would probably rather spend the time and money that way than buying a "finished" horse.

#34 secondchanceranch

secondchanceranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (siiamese @ Feb 4 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hoofhaven.............have pics or video of the prospect? truly, which saddleseat division they eventually end up in can take some time to determine...........time under saddle with a rider. for a prospect I like to start with one that has the right breeding coupled the right conformation and with as much trot as I can find - out in an arena (pastures of deep snow/sand/ high grass just don't count as they produce an unrealistic picture of what the horse does move like). I go with the theory that there is a higher chance of having less trot once the horse is being ridden than it having more trot than expected. and once they are under saddle and going well it takes more time to get them condtioned and strong enough to carry the frame and motion for the length of a class
I love "prospects" though and would probably rather spend the time and money that way than buying a "finished" horse.

Well said biggrin.gif
Dawn Brown
Baida Arabians
Glenside, Saskatchewan, Canada
306-867-2128
dawn.scr@hotmail.com
www.baidaarabians.com

#35 rashind

rashind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Hoofhaven @ Feb 3 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm..interesting thread...

I just bought a CEP prospect...so I am told anyways..and I was very excited!! but..now im not sure this sounds like any fun lol

Im really confused now, I thought they were supposed to have high action...but maybe just because this is what I have seen??? I admit, I really have trouble telling the difference between the CEP, EP and Park classes...

So as to how they should move... what would be considered high knee action that should be penalized?? And HOW much of the movement is artificially created by shoeing or training methods??

What does a "prospect" look like??? I just want to know how I can tell from a horse's natural in the pasture movement and conformation whether they are better for HP or CEP?

sorry for the questions...new to this discipline!

One of the things that I look for is a high set neck. If their neck is set on too low, you will be fighting with them constantly. A natural big trot is nice but not always going to transfer to under saddle. I have seen my western horse trot level loose but he has no motion undersaddle. I also look for a laid back shoulder, a horse that is balanced, and overall good confirmation.

Don't be put off by others. I love CEP and Ep and have a blast showing. Good luck with your prospect.

Shelly

Shelly Osborne

#36 skymare

skymare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

shouldn't this type of showing really be renamed american country showing? i've never seen any english ride their horses like this. i'm australian and we don't ride em like this either. very extreme.
Breeder of Pure Crabbet Arabians.
Mill Park Anabella (Mill Park Amastar x Millbanda Bellalina)

Farnaway Golightly(pend) Colt by Senussi.