Photo

Are the heads of Arabians becoming too dished-faced?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 English Channel

English Channel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

I've talked online to one or three people who own Arabians and while they loved the dish-faced heads, they felt some of them were getting too extreme.

Is there such a thing as too much dish?

Looking at pictures of famous Arabians from long ago, some had refined heads that were very dishy at all, like Cass Ole. I know the Egyptian Arabians are known for having more extreme heads and I don't think Cass was Egyptian.

#2 lkirby

lkirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Count Zichy-Thyssen recently wrote in his website < www.ztarabians.com > that he thinks that too many Arabian horses in USA don't really look like purebred Arabians, which means that their heads are not really typy, exotic or dished. Most European Arabian horse breeders definitely want their Arabian horses to have a very exotic, typey, dished head.

Lorna G. Kirby, PE
When you have gone through fire, you won't fade in the sun!!

#3 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Unless it becomes a physical issue; like don't Persian cats have breathing difficulties with their flat faces? I don't see a problem with it.

#4 Z's Mom

Z's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

I think Arabian heads are becoming quite long. When I look at photos I will often put my finger over the lower part of the face to see what the horse would look like with a shorter head. I gues it's just my preference, but it is something I have noticed.
Worlds End Farm Standing:

WF Impressive (GGS Topper+/ x LF Diamond Rose)
Region X Top Ten Colt

WF Last Of Roses (Abraxas Halimaar X LF Diamond Rose)
Region X Top Five Stallion
Canadian National Top Ten Futurity Colt

The Denver Mint (Key Dazzler x Klassy Kadence)
Pinto National Champion ASB Stallion
Worlds End Farm Arabians[/color]

#5 Morability Ranch

Morability Ranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:59 PM

I feel everyone has their own opinion of what looks good and to me I don't care for the extreme dished faces I see these days it just is not beautiful not desirable to my eye but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also never cared for the extreme smoosh face of the Persian and Himalayan cats then again I was not showing cats just like I don't show my horses so what was popular in the ring and winning was not important to me.
Kym Cooper
My Facebook My link

#6 Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I too think the long headed arabs are becoming more of a trend. You see the ones people call "exotic" with extreme dishes however the heads are not nice and short with a wide forehead
Alot of the "classic" arabs did not have much of a dish but they were still very much arabian for example Ferzon. He is a very classic looking arabian horse with arab attributes and type but did not have the extremeness we see today in some horses
I myself prefer the arabs from years ago to many that are being bred today but just my opionon
Cassiosum Acres Arabians & Tack
Ask about our monthly sales and specials and check me out on Facebook too
RIP to my heart and soul SUMMETICIAN May 30 1993 - January 6th 2012. Mom loves you always and we will meet again

#7 ArabianFancy

ArabianFancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

I personally LOVE the extreme dishes we are seeing on some horses today and do not care for that long straight saddlebred look that we are also seeing. I also dont' like the freaky looking ones you occasionally see .
Gina

Gina Roland Dupree
"With God, ALL Things Are Possible"

ArabianFancy.com Custom Hand Made Arabian Halters and Tack

Posted Image

#8 Silverdust Arabians

Silverdust Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I personally find things I like or don't like about any head, it doesn't necessarily have to be very dished, or short--I have some that are not so dished, or some that are longer, that I like better than the others.

I have long thought this particular photo was just plain creepy. I guess this horse would be considered exotic and typey, but it just looks sort of deformed to me. Way too extreme (is this the equine equivelant of a Persian?), and this is the first thing I thought of when I saw this headline. Not sure how posting a previously published photo that's not mine works, so to give credit, this was in the Sept. 2005 Arabian Horse Times, pg. 8.
scan.jpg
Rochelle

The Kids:
"Niki" DD Silver Nacomic (RF Kariim x DNA Silver Nugget)
"Noah" Kolognes Mr TNT (Kologne Witez BA x RF Sur Fire)
"Dinah" Muscelusive (MHR Muscateal x JF Elusive)
"Louie" SDR Muscadore (The Golden Sun x Muscelusive)

#9 Z's Mom

Z's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

When I say long I mean the distance from the eyes to the muzzle. This has become quite long in horses with and without a dish. I personally prefer a proportional head, so I guess the extreme dish doesn't appeal to me. I would prefer a well-proportioned straight profile to that. I do love large, wide-set eyes. That isn't such an easy thing to achieve.
Worlds End Farm Standing:

WF Impressive (GGS Topper+/ x LF Diamond Rose)
Region X Top Ten Colt

WF Last Of Roses (Abraxas Halimaar X LF Diamond Rose)
Region X Top Five Stallion
Canadian National Top Ten Futurity Colt

The Denver Mint (Key Dazzler x Klassy Kadence)
Pinto National Champion ASB Stallion
Worlds End Farm Arabians[/color]

#10 Morability Ranch

Morability Ranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

I always like the heads like my stallion had. I am sure it was not the perfect head and some would not like it at all but for me it was the type of Arabian head I like here is a picture of my stallion Ea Gai Shaliadak ( Tonka )he was heavy Raffles line and to me carried that look and passed it on to his foals. He was 25 in this photo and it was winter time so he is really fuzzy.
Kym Cooper
My Facebook My link